Used DR Chipper value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gkiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score

Hello everyone. Found a DR Chipper for sale locally. It's a Model 30.00 XL, with the 18hp. Vanguard engine, electric start. The thing only has 13 hours on the hour meter that the owner installed. Looks brand new. Wondering what a good price for something like this would be. DR website quotes $4300.00 brand new. Asking price is $3000.00. Has anybody ever used one of these? Not trying to use it commercially, just around the property to clean up. What do you guys think? Thanks, G

Check the bearings. I have the 13.5 HP DR chipper, and the bearings went out of it with less than 5 hours on it. Its a really bad design that allows small branches to wind around the shaft right beside the bearing. I'm planning on re-designing mine, with a spacer in there to keep branches away from the bearing.

Theres a 18 HP DR Chipper in the classifieds on this site for $1850, and a nice 90XP for $3750. Personally, I would spend the extra few dollars and get the 90XP.

Thanks. Have any of you used one of hese DR chippers? We have about 7 acres of woods, fairly steep. I need something I can pull with an ATV. I think a 90xp is no doubt much stronger, but anything over 3 inches is firewood anyway.

Hello everyone. Found a DR Chipper for sale locally. It's a Model 30.00 XL, with the 18hp. Vanguard engine, electric start. The thing only has 13 hours on the hour meter that the owner installed. Looks brand new. Wondering what a good price for something like this would be. DR website quotes $4300.00 brand new. Asking price is $3000.00. Has anybody ever used one of these? Not trying to use it commercially, just around the property to clean up. What do you guys think? Thanks, G

I am the one selling the Chipper on here. The one I am selling is the same as the 30 DR sells now. Mine is just the older version.

$3000 is too much, I took 1850 cause that is approximately what they are selling for around the Northeast. Mine has less than 20 hours on it.

Mine also includes the road towing package and extended discharge chute which would make the 30 XL cost $ 4,300 + $ X.XX

*Not trying to peddle mine to you (I think the guy coming to look at it tomorrow is buying anyway) but you can find the same one I am selling for at least a $1000 less.

For $3,000, you can get a vermeer 600 at auction.

Thanks for the info. If it doesn't sell this weekend let me know. I'm not that far away from you. George

George,

Two things:

1) The guy who purchased my chipper said he went around and looked at a few of DR chippers used, all with 18/19 HP motors. He said most of all of them were in the $1,500 range. However, they looked used. He said he was buying mine because of the little use it had. If I were you, I wouldn't go any higher than $1,800 to $2,000 with all the extras. (Electric start, two package, extended discharge chute)

2) The chipper was nice to use to clean up with. (Sure is easier than towing the Vermeer around the yard) Nice and light I could just walk by hand anywhere I wanted to go. The real deceiving part is the size of log it can handle. Most chippers limit the size based upon power. I.E. If you look at one of the little chippers from the Big Boxes, they will claim a 2.5" or so maximum size. If you put and actual 2.5" into it, it will practically stall out. However, with the DR chipper, You could jam a 4-4.5" limb in there and it would not even hiccup. The problem is, the opening was only 4.5", so the limb had to be perfectly straight and all the branches had to be trimmed. So in reality, most limbs were in the 3-4" range and heavy limbs still had to be trimmed.

If you are doing light yard cleanup, I would get one used. Especially if you have a gator or something to pull it with. However, I would not pay anywhere near the full new price, I would personally rather get a commercial chipper used at auction.

Hope this helps, if you want to know anything else about it, just ask.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't talked to the owner yet. Waiting to get your opinions. Let the negotiations begin. Thanks, G

The Bandit is definitly more chipper but I need something I can pull with my quad up the hills thru the woods. I afraid if I get something too heavy I won't be able to get it up the hill. Can't get a truck or other vehicle up there. George

DRs are junk.

Get a used Vermeer or Bandit 6 Inch.

You could always rent a 6 inch chipper to see if you could pull it up the hill. I pulled my Vermeer no problem with an 85 toyota.

Get a used Vermeer or Bandit 6 Inch.

You could always rent a 6 inch chipper to see if you could pull it up the hill. I pulled my Vermeer no problem with an 85 toyota.

Why do you say junk? I personally thought the one I sold was well built. Is it a commercial chipper to take out onto a R.O.W. job? No, but it seemed to work well around the yard.

The Bandit is definitly more chipper but I need something I can pull with my quad up the hills thru the woods. I afraid if I get something too heavy I won't be able to get it up the hill. Can't get a truck or other vehicle up there. George

Looked up the motor, (B&S Vanguard) it alone sells for $1,200. So there is a starting point.

Back