used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
farmers used to spray oil on there dirt roads to keep dust down, what do you think a primary ingrediant is in asphalt. the environment can break down oil within reason. dumping a oil change down the drain is NOT realistic but i have never seen or heard of the oil from a running chainsaw causing a problem.

if it was a problem the EPA would be all over it.

Actually, last time I checked (a few yrs ago), the regulatory figures were indeed cracking down on non-vegi based bar/chain lubes. Point Reyes and Denali National Parks are the ones in N America that I recall banning petrol based bar/chain lubes and many if not most Euro nations banned it some years ago.

The thing about this whole argument that isn't well understood is the silent or undetected damage certain oils cause or "can" cause. Just because one hasn't developed cancer doesn't mean that he hasn't experienced other problems that could be traced back to his choice of oils. The same can be said for plants and all the little microbes that our eyes don't see.

We all have choices and one of those choices is to avoid, or at least make an effort to minimize, our exposure to compounds that are either known to be problematic or are thought to be whether we're talking personal health or that of the little creatures our naked eyes don't see. That isn't "environmentalism" or lipstick liberalism. It's just practicality.

That link I posted about Veggie oil,said that no oil clings well when a saw is running over 13000 rpm's. I do not know if thats true.

Not to nitpick but it actually said "little oil" not no oil. :)

If tac made all that oil stick to the chain, the saw wouldn't need an oil reservoir. ;) As it is, think how heavy the saw would get if that tac really kept all the oil we pour into that reservoir on the chain. Silly thought isn't it! :) Total Loss Lubricating System is the system saws rely on.

Thanks for the link and post.

Back in the early 70's I purchased a brand new discontinued Poulan S33 with manual oiler. I used that thing for about 20 something years and I'd say 75% of the oil I put in that saw was used motor oil and it didn't seem to have any adverse affect on the b/c. I probably over oiled the bar for the most part. Still had the original bar. I probably cut 2-3 cords of firerwood per year and lots of cedars for posts or just clearing land. Occasionally cut lumber with it. Now I know that Poulans get a bad rap nowdays, but it was a good saw only kinda heavy cause there were no plastics involved, except for that clear gas line that never needed replacing.

Cytank,

I am not saying the climate is not changing. It is-NATURALLY! Climate always changes and we can not do anything about it.

You obviously drank the Obama coolaid if you believe that it is all man-made.

Even one of the UN people admitted that documents were altered when they started to release the info on global warming. It is a hoax to relieve all gullible coolaid drinkers of their hard-earned money.

You're entitled to your opinion, but not your facts. And, for that I'll defer to scientists who've not reached conclusion, then listened to the evidence.

You over-simplify, and demonize, which makes a reasonable discussion difficult.

Actually, we have a possible trifecta:
1. We are at, or closely approaching "peak oil" after which annual oil extracted will decline. We have big-time competitors for access to oil: China and India. We have a stimulus to detox from oil addiction.
2. Air quality in much of the globe is declining from coal and oil consumption. This could use help.
3. Atmospheric co2 has risen for many decades, and is resulting in major loss of Greenland and Antartic ice caps- a HUGE threat. Rising co2 in the oceans is threatening shellfish. Warming of ocean areas results in increasing evaporation of moisture- also a greenhouse gas. Warming of boreal forests results in liberation of methane previously trapped in bogs- a much more powerful greenhouse gas than co2. Much can be done here.

Don't get hung up on all/nothing; you didn't hear such from me.
We can learn, adapt, evolve our behavior, or go "ostrich."

POTUS is properly referred to as "President" or "Mr.", except by the likes of Rush or Fox shills. At a minimum, the office deserves respect.

So, please save the silly accusations, and per Jack Friday:
"The facts ma'am, just the facts."

"cytank" sounds like something involved with plating. ;)

You can drink whatever coolaid you want, but that is pure bs. According to people that study it, only 19 percent of the oil in the world has ever been tapped. I was in Iraq and it is still RUNNING OUT OF THE GROUND over there.

You have obviously bought off on the left-wing political agenda and believe the doctored evidence that is pure crap. A lot of the so-called evidence is from proven-to-be-doctored UN documents from the people that want a one world order so that all the resources can be controlled.

Keep drinking and they will love you! Quit drinking and listen to the FACTS and you will know what is really happening.

One volcano distroys more ozone than all the hair spray ever used. Climate change is natural and if you believe otherwise, then I will bet that you voted for our illustrious left-wing elite.

You can drink whatever coolaid you want, but that is pure bs. According to people that study it, only 19 percent of the oil in the world has ever been tapped. I was in Iraq and it is still RUNNING OUT OF THE GROUND over there.

You have obviously bought off on the left-wing political agenda and believe the doctored evidence that is pure crap. A lot of the so-called evidence is from proven-to-be-doctored UN documents from the people that want a one world order so that all the resources can be controlled.

Keep drinking and they will love you! Quit drinking and listen to the FACTS and you will know what is really happening.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your 19% fact from?

Regardless, there's a big difference between the amount of oil left in the ground and the ease as to which to get it. Running out of oil, any time soon, is not what is at issue. The problem is that most of the easily accessed oil has already been taken. In other words, "that" oil has peaked, hence the term "peak oil".....

....or at least according to Ali Samsam Bakhtiari, Senior Expert in the Corporate Planning Directorate of the National Iranian Oil Company; Kenneth Deffeyes, petroleum geologist, professor Emeritus at Princeton University, researcher for Shell Oil; and Colin Campbell, trustee for the Petroleum Institute of London & former geologist for Oxford University, Texaco, British Petroleum & Amoco.

I'm merely guessing that those people might actually know a few things a handful of chainsaw enthusiast don't. But I don't know for sure. Please let the readers here know where they can find the "facts" you refer to. Thanks!

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, where did you get your 19% fact from?

Regardless, there's a big difference between the amount of oil left in the ground and the ease as to which to get it. Running out of oil, any time soon, is not what is at issue. The problem is that most of the easily accessed oil has already been taken. In other words, "that" oil has peaked, hence the term "peak oil".....

....or at least according to Ali Samsam Bakhtiari, Senior Expert in the Corporate Planning Directorate of the National Iranian Oil Company; Kenneth Deffeyes, petroleum geologist, professor Emeritus at Princeton University, researcher for Shell Oil; and Colin Campbell, trustee for the Petroleum Institute of London & former geologist for Oxford University, Texaco, British Petroleum & Amoco.

I'm merely guessing that those people might actually know a few things a handful of chainsaw enthusiast don't. But I don't know for sure. Please let the readers here know where they can find the "facts" you refer to. Thanks!

Although I can't remember where I read it, I did read somewhere (maybe in the Economist?) that tar sand petroleum extraction becomes economically viable around $80/bbl. And our good friends to the north have quite a bit of that stuff. Of course, efficiency is much less than drilling for crude and unfortunately most of the time creates a lot more net CO2. I'm mostly in agreement that fossil fuels should be phased out as soon as practically and economically viable.

Also reading lately a lot about "geoengineering" solutions to warming. Some very interesting stuff out there.

As much as I hate to admit it, the ozone layer really did recover significantly since the Montreal Protocol. I still have some disdain for it as a fire protection engineer though because it resulted in the ban of Halon production, one of the best fire supression tools to come along since the automatic sprinkler. On the other hand, the research into water mist technologies might not have happened either. C'est la vie.

Wood you ladies just calm the F down for a bit. Garter snap somewhere else.
This concept has become non-science, not empirical, and is now ideological boredom....on all sides.

You want to be Msr. Green, fine. You need to be Msr. Denier, fine.

I and other saw users will do what we do, at least until I do not come down for breakfast. My personal choice is NOT to use new or used motor oil. My choice, your choice. You can thank those who risk thier lives for this---especially on Thursday. :clap:

For you AlGore extremists, neither you nor he walk anywhere, or use carbon-free fuels for much of anything. Hypocrisy ?:monkey:

For you other side right ideologues, the science, observable and projected, does show regional Climate Change. Read the verifiable research. Do due diligence.:confused:

JMNSHFO

For you AlGore extremists, neither you nor he walk anywhere, or use carbon-free fuels for much of anything. Hypocrisy ?:monkey:

JMNSHFO

:cheers:
Hypocrisy? Yes, there's plenty of that in the world.Doesn't matter which side one is on in this juvenile game of politics; ignorant redneck to lipstick liberal, hypocrisy runs amok.

It shouldn't be forgotten though. Even though we all enjoy the use of inexpensive (relative speaking) energy gained from fossil fuels, there are those who consciously choose to use less....those who make the choice to live more simply...those who are able to set their greed and personal egos aside so the broader picture becomes more clear. These people don't do it to align themselves with any one political side or for some sort of trendy "green" image; they do it because it's practical... and they understand the value of not wasting. They do it because they have the foresight to consider their kids and their successors. They do it because they value health and well being above all else. I don't think there's anything wrong with that......

Last edited:
:cheers:
Hypocrisy? Yes, there's plenty of that in the world.Doesn't matter which side one is on in this juvenile game of politics; ignorant redneck to lipstick liberal, hypocrisy runs amok.

It shouldn't be forgotten though. Even though we all enjoy the use of inexpensive (relative speaking) energy gained from fossil fuels, there are those who consciously choose to use less....those who make the choice to live more simply...those who are able to set their greed and personal egos aside so the broader picture becomes more clear. These people don't do it to align themselves with any one political side or for some sort of trendy "green" image; they do it because it's practical... and they understand the value of not wasting. They do it because they have the foresight to consider their kids and their successors. They do it because they value health and well being above all else. I don't think there's anything wrong with that......

Deer Rusty:

:agree2::agree2:

Lest you forget---this is a WOOD web site. Trees: the only carbon-free solar fuel around.
Most on the site work the woods, use the woods, mill, log for pulp and lumber, and....do arborist things up trees.

From my fav philosopher: " I burn, therefore I am.":cheers:

JMNSHO

Deer Rusty:

:agree2::agree2:

Lest you forget---this is a WOOD web site. Trees: the only carbon-free solar fuel around.
Most on the site work the woods, use the woods, mill, log for pulp and lumber, and....do arborist things up trees.

From my fav philosopher: " I burn, therefore I am.":cheers:

JMNSHO

Actually, to be technically correct, wood is not carbon-free, I think the term you were looking for was "carbon-neutral", meaning that it takes the same amount of carbon out of the atmosphere as it puts in when it's burning. However, I also would not agree that it is completely carbon neutral. I think it would only be fair if you factor in the fuel/oil you use in your saws, the fuel in your splitter, and the fuel in your wood-hauler. So wood isn't completely carbon-neutral, but it's pretty close when you figure how little CO2 is produced in the gathering of firewood.

Actually, to be technically correct, wood is not carbon-free, I think the term you were looking for was "carbon-neutral", meaning that it takes the same amount of carbon out of the atmosphere as it puts in when it's burning. However, I also would not agree that it is completely carbon neutral. I think it would only be fair if you factor in the fuel/oil you use in your saws, the fuel in your splitter, and the fuel in your wood-hauler. So wood isn't completely carbon-neutral, but it's pretty close when you figure how little CO2 is produced in the gathering of firewood.

You are correct Msr., it is indeed "Carbon Neutral". :bowdown: It was the hormones kicking in ( and the Laphroaig ).

Carbon Neutral is more than "technically correct", it is the only correct term for the process of burning trees for fuel---excluding all other factors of production.

Now, may I be excused ? It is past my bedtime.:newbie:

bar oil

Hi, i was told years ago that you could use motor on your bar,but will not work
very well because of the way it is made,bar oil i understand is made so that it is
stringy and well stay on your bar where as motor oil will work in a emergencey
but you will go thru a lot of it.

But motor oil will help your wood burn better! Best used near a lake or creek or a city ditch for added effect. I like the rainbow! it's beautiful.

Hi, i was told years ago that you could use motor on your bar,but will not work
very well because of the way it is made,bar oil i understand is made so that it is
stringy and well stay on your bar where as motor oil will work in a emergencey
but you will go thru a lot of it.
u call it stringy, i call it clingy= if the oil flies off the chain the bar & chain will wear from lack of lubrication

Why did you change oil in your vehicle in the first place?
(so it will last longer)
Using scrap oil from one machine to make another makes no sense to me.
Use the right stuff and your saws/bars/chains will last longer.
Used oil for the shop on an oil burner! ,also
The wood planks on my log hauler trailer.
Mark

Hi,
Just doing some reading. I have always run used engine oil and just like to read what others use. I recently saw mention of canola oils. I didn’t realise nature could provide a cleaner option. I filter my engine oil and never considered the tackiness of the oil. Might start adding the stp, morels or lucas stuff To help it stick. The oil is only on the bar for a couple of seconds so pretty sure it has enough life left to last that long.

in relation to used oil not having any protective qualities left, means your vehicles engine was running with no protection which is simply not the case. Very cleaver people calculate the service intervals and get a good balance of protection and costs.

I was looking at attempts to clean engine oil and found this piece of text https://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/6/prweb9565402.htm
If valvoline can reuse the stuff it can’t be all bad.

1616328622149.png

..................AND, all the metal particulate that was accumulated while the motor wears down probably wont help bar and chain wear. Plus the toxins gained in said breaking down motor ADD to the toxins you are already spreading with good oil. Then the lack of a tackifier to make the oil stick, the oil is too thin to start with, then heats up and thins more. That's IF it doesn't plug up the oiling system, or burn up the oil pump from all the crap that's in the used oil.
So you get less use from the bar and chain, the possibility of burning up the oiling system and polluting the environment........... need we go on?
It's a bad idea that's been beat to death numerous times.
:D
:D

Latest posts

Back