Used RipSaw-What to look for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Weber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a lead on a "5 year old" RipSaw. I have talked to the owner and he is an oldtimer who used it to cut some timber for a cedar canoe and for a cabin. I have arranged to see the equipment sometime next month. Being new to this and unfamiliar with the RipSaw in general, can one of the experienced members give me some idea of things to look for on a used RipSaw? Are there parts that exhibit wear early or weak points that may require repair frequently? I downloaded the manual but I don't see any particular maintenance information in it that might give a hint of possible problem areas.

Any hints you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Al

If you don't lubricate the bearings that the blade rides against when tracking, the one farthest from the powerhead will seize. They cost $4 and take 2 minutes to replace (just one allen head screw), but after replacing several over the years, I found that if I give the bearing a shot of WD-40 at every blade change, they don't seize. Other things to look for... blade tracking can get out of whack, but easy fix if that is off. On the older models, the threads on the bolts that tighten down the fence that rides on the guide bar sometimes got damaged from over tightening. (newer models have larger bolt/threads). That would also be an easy fix though. As long as it is not physically banged up, bent or damaged, you are probably fine.

Latest posts

Back