Used saw, missing data tag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Didn’t catch it when I met the buyer. Guy knows saws, not a crack head. But now that I notice the riveted tag has been remove (rivets reinstalled) I’m wondering if this is a stolen saw. Husqvarna 435. Do they remove the tag on those reconditioned saws?

Wish I’d have noticed this right away. I hate a thief. Are Husqvarnas serialized anywhere else in addition to the tag?

Was not a new in box saw. Obviously had some use. A NIB saw at low price would have tipped me off, or a seller who knows nothing about saws.

Can't speak with authority on this, but I'd be suspicious of a saw missing its ID tag, unless there were serious scratch/scuff injury to indicate it had somehow gotten ripped away in use. And that would seem pretty unlikely.

FWIW, I bought a Husqy 371, Craigslist find, where the owner did not want me coming to his home, and we met in a convenience store parking lot. Plenty of people are rightfully wary of letting CL strangers come to their home, so that didn't bother me. And the seller and the price all seemed legit (guy drove a Cadillac, several years old), not like some lowlife, and it took several days for his work schedule to open up where we could meet. Good saw and I had it running well in the parking lot. A few weeks later when I cleaned off the grime I found etched into the saw's plastic cover a guy's name and town in another state. Pissed me off to think maybe I owned stolen property. It took some real internet sleuthing, but I was able to track down the guy with the etched name and called him on the phone. It turned out he'd sold the saw some years back, but he appreciated my call. And I appreciated that I did not have a stolen saw.

That would ring alarm bells with me, the second hand saw market is not that big over here especially for decent make saws (Husky, Stihl), When one comes up for sale they are either knackered or nicked especially in my neck of the woods. Advert in local paper for 3 saws, wanted to sell them all together for cash, meet very close to me so I went round there, all the tags are missing plastics in a right state but there was an etched post code on the bar that they missed and it was nowhere near them, walked away. Good you had the decency to track the owner down.

Didn’t catch it when I met the buyer. Guy knows saws, not a crack head. But now that I notice the riveted tag has been remove (rivets reinstalled) I’m wondering if this is a stolen saw. Husqvarna 435. Do they remove the tag on those reconditioned saws?

Wish I’d have noticed this right away. I hate a thief. Are Husqvarnas serialized anywhere else in addition to the tag?
Contact the seller, and ask what the deal is?????

My new 592XP doesn’t have the traditional Husqvarna metal ID tag — or I’m blind and can’t find it. The data is printed on the gray plastic carb cover (clutch side) between hand grip and handlebar. Hmmmmm. I prefer the metal tag.
JQ

A 435 is not really a saw you would steal to make money on the resale value.

Mark
That’s a fact to a logical person, but for a tweaker any shiny thing that can be hocked for the next hit will suffice. I don’t think junkies “case the joint” to make sure they’re grabbing the good stuff.
I’m thinking of the statement that a junk saw might be in-tagged before sale as scrap. This saw could be a cobbled scrap saw. Head seems super clean but bar shows more age inconsistent with head condition. Piston looks near perfect. Hmmm. Well, at 1/2 price of new I guess if it gives good service I’m not going to lay awake over it. The guy did know about saws. Maybe a shop tech with side hustle putting together saws that are total losses due to necessary shop rates. Whatevz. Won’t happen a second time.

I have a Husqvarna 51 here, not exactly a top of the line saw, but a good midranger and someone that owned it previously (probably the first owner) went to the trouble of engraving the saws serial number in several places around the saw- under the clutch cover, recoil cover, rear handle foot pad and remove the rear handle grip pop outs and it is in there as well.
Basically you would have to replace every bolt on piece plus remove the tag for that saw not to be identified by its original serial number!
Maybe whoever did it, had been bitten once and was twice shy!

Latest posts

Back