Did I buy a stolen chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimberWolf530

TimberWolf530

ArboristSite Guru
I search in the canadian stolen good database and yes, the saw is stolen.... I will go at the police station this afternoon. You guys are funny.. I wonder if I bought YOUR stolen chainsaw if you would still tell me never mind and to start cutting wood with it. Some people have some kind bizarre criminal sympathy..

"Does it mean the saw I bought was stolen? What else could it be?" - Did you forget you asked this question? Sucks that it turned out to be stolen, but it COULD HAVE been many other things. People were just providing information you asked them to provide.

I search in the canadian stolen good database and yes, the saw is stolen.... I will go at the police station this afternoon.
Well there you go! You smelled smoke and sure enough there was fire behind it. Please let us know how this goes down.

You guys are funny.. I wonder if I bought YOUR stolen chainsaw if you would still tell me never mind and to start cutting wood with it. Some people have some kind bizarre criminal sympathy..

Not really sure where you are headed with this comment....I don't think anyone on here is sympathetic towards criminals?

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
Let me try to understand... You bought a saw from a guy who claimed he "bought the chainsaw new and he only used it at his vacation home to clean stuff around". Turns out it needed a carb replacement and the mechanic said the saw has 600 hours on it?

Do you have a picture of the saw? What shape is it in with 600 hrs on it? Is the rightful owner going to reimburse you for the new carb? :surprised3:

Lowhog

Lowhog

ArboristSite Guru
He told me he bought the chainsaw new and he only used it at his vacation home to clean stuff around. He also told me he had never changed 1 part. I think it is a lie because the mechanic told me the saw has over 600 hours....
You think its a lie? After the bull story he gave you think its a lie. That guy stole the saw or knows who stole it. Your not going to put over 600 hours on a saw at a vacation home.

ssx3

ArboristSite Lurker
600 hours is quite a bit. I too would like to see what kind of condition this saw was in.
I paid 600 cnd. The seller tried to deceive me on the condition by putting a new bar on...

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 90
Michigan Escapee

Michigan Escapee

ArboristSite Operative
I search in the canadian stolen good database and yes, the saw is stolen.... I will go at the police station this afternoon. You guys are funny.. I wonder if I bought YOUR stolen chainsaw if you would still tell me never mind and to start cutting wood with it. Some people have some kind bizarre criminal sympathy..

Look at the dismal realities that happen stateside at least. Once the cops get the saw, the original owner of the saw might get it back 9 months later, and if they don't get the postcard from the police station, the item will go up for auction. (9 out of 10 times, people get the post card AFTER the item has been auctioned off, scrapped, or some cop moved it to his personal stash). And the criminal will be charged for their time in jail, which has to be paid FIRST before you get any cut of reparations. So we have multiple layers of criminality, the freelance criminals, and the criminals on the government payroll.

The canadian system might be different. But probably not by much. I seriously doubt the crook will do much jail time, you'll be out the cash, and the saw. Maybe they'll make him pay up, eventually. But don't hold your breath.

And you can hope your local police haven't started to emulate the BS they do stateside. Call the cops, you get a case number, and a week later, get to wait in line for SIX HOURS, so you can pay $5-10 for the police report, which you can then turn in to the insurance company. And as the buyer of stolen goods, if you're lucky, you'll get repaid dead last, a few years or decades down the road. ;)

So, it's perfectly understandable that some want to do the "right thing", and others who've tried that often enough to just say, screw it, and run the saw like it was stolen, because it probably is. :chainsaw:

ssx3

ArboristSite Lurker
Did the saw run when you purchased it?
it did. Two days later when I started the chainsaw myself for the first time, It stalls when idling. I bring it to the mechanic, he tells me the auto-tune is broken. He was able to get it working without stalling but he told me sometimes it may stalls and sometimes it may not. He has to change the carburetor to make it work 100% of the time

I paid 600 cnd. The seller tried to deceive me on the condition by putting a new bar on...
It is not in terrible shape for that many hours but that doesn't really matter at this point being it's going to go back to it's original owner and hopefully you get your money back from the seller.

Saws must cost a lot more up there. You can get a new 562 PHO for a price near that in the US.

ssx3

ArboristSite Lurker
I called the seller yesterday . He changed his story from '' I bought the chainsaw new'' to ''i bought the chainsaw used'' . He even accused me of removing the serial tag and told me that if I continue accusing him he would ''show to me who is tougher''. He then told to give him the phone number of the mechanic. I did but it seems he didn't call him. He is a true scum. I am honestly considering meeting him at his house and ask him to fight me. It may be worth 600$... I cant stand people who lie to you when they know you know to truth.

CascadeHusky

CascadeHusky

ArboristSite Operative
I called the seller yesterday . He changed his story from '' I bought the chainsaw new'' to ''i bought the chainsaw used'' . He even accused me of removing the serial tag and told me that if I continue accusing him he would ''show to me who is tougher''. He then told to give him the phone number of the mechanic. I did but it seems he didn't call him. He is a true scum. I am honestly considering meeting him at his house and ask him to fight me. It may be worth 600$... I cant stand people who lie to you when they know you know to truth.

Frustrating, yes. Probably a $600 learning experience...but you likely aren't getting that money back regardless. Going to someone else's house to a fight they know is coming would be an "interesting" choice. Might want to brush up on Canada's castle doctrine first.

Stolen saws on the used market are not rare. People selling them from their houses in the daylight is much less common. There is the "hiding in plain sight" factor, but most people aren't too keen on people having their location.

Obviously this guy thought "A f@$#ing computer in the chainsaw ratted me out?"

As much as that sounds appealing you need to get the law involved ASAP and let them take it from there. I wouldn't have given out the mechanic's name as now he is dragged into the deal with this crook too. You have already given the guy advanced notice to cover his tracks on wherever this thing came from.

Michigan Escapee

Michigan Escapee

ArboristSite Operative

Ya know, I had an evil idea. Call your local media, they eat this crap up. Consumer fraud over craigslist, some sketchy character who offers to fight you, and beat up your mechanic, all while dealing stolen goods out of his, or someone else's house.

lone wolf
They have the serial from the computer readout though.
Well then he may get nailed. These types are very stupid. If was was the least bit smart he would have given the cash back for the saw instead of agitating the buyer further. Now he just might get charged and or arrested then fined.

USMC615

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Hey OP, until such time as you take the stolen saw to the local police, and any further action to get your coins back, and file charges on this turd, my advice...I'd run the dog **** outta that saw...run it like ya stole it!! :laugh:

Latest posts