used Stihl 026 or 250??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trac1

Reaction score
I don't know much about chainsaws, but it is time to buy one intead of borrowing my friends. I just need it for the occasional tree that falls in yard or needs to be cut down. I am looking at 2 saws. One is a used 026 which I know little about but definately has quite a bit of use. I can buy this for $230. The second is a very lightly used ms 250 that I can get for $150. Last option is to buy new. I am friends with owner of local Stihl dealer so that is only brand I am looking at. The ms 250 is a trade in from him the 026 is from friend of friend type of deal. Thanks

The 026 is the better saw but in this case the 250 may be a better purchase. Have the 026 checked out, might be sound inside but just rough looking outside.

026/260=Pro saw

025/250=Home owner saw

they are similar in performance and the 025 is slightly lighter. for the occassional user, it think it is a nice saw. my brother has one that we have pounded for many hours. the only problem was the carb needed to be rebuilt after 10yrs and hundreds of hours.

:taped:

Oh well - the 026 is a much nicer saw, but as 2K said, have the condition checked.

Buying a used saw from a friend may be a way to ruin the friendship............

Agreed

The 026 is the better saw but in this case the 250 may be a better purchase. Have the 026 checked out, might be sound inside but just rough looking outside.

026/260=Pro saw

025/250=Home owner saw

+1

260 is around 50cc, 250 is around 45cc.
I have a 250 and love it for camping! runs great! cuts 16" pine no problems!
it will last you a lifetime!

if you feel later that you need to upgrade, start putting pennies away now!

The 260 is a tough saw also, better than a 250, BUT for occasional use, I'd get the one cheaper one in better condition and not look back.

heck, up here the 260 is $600 new, the 250 is $479! for $150, I'd buy it myself and flip it! I can get $225-$250 for a ms250 in great shape easy.

Hmmmm... I think I'd get both now... and flip the 250 on Ebay, to cover the 260!

ARRGGGHHH.... I got CAD real bad!

:bang:

I say get the ms250. You can atleast get your money back outta it if you ever do want to sell it. And getting it from a dealer should give you alittle insurance that it works and is is ready to cut. The 026 is alittle high if its not a pro model so youll likely loose alittle money when reselling plus who knows if anything is wrong with it.

id say go with the ms250, even though the 026 is the better saw as far as it is built better. the 250 is in better shape and has likely not been abused. a friend of mine has one and it has been abused for the last 10 or so years and it shows no sign of givin up.

I think the key here is the combination of price and use. You are talking very occasional use, and the 250 is far less $ than the 026. While it's nice to cut with pro-class saws, a person needs to find the value that suits them. For a saw that only gets taken off the shelf and run two or three times a year, and costs so little compared with the older 026, it seems like a simple decision to me.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I think I will pass on the 026 and get the 250. I am sure either one is more than I need so I don't think I can go wrong.

+1

260 is around 50cc, 250 is around 45cc.
I have a 250 and love it for camping! runs great! cuts 16" pine no problems!
it will last you a lifetime!

if you feel later that you need to upgrade, start putting pennies away now!

The 260 is a tough saw also, better than a 250, BUT for occasional use, I'd get the one cheaper one in better condition and not look back.

heck, up here the 260 is $600 new, the 250 is $479! for $150, I'd buy it myself and flip it! I can get $225-$250 for a ms250 in great shape easy.

Hmmmm... I think I'd get both now... and flip the 250 on Ebay, to cover the 260!

ARRGGGHHH.... I got CAD real bad!

:bang:

I havre tried that before, and it never works cause it is just not practical to sell a good runni saw, I just cant seem to do it, so I never end up actually getting rid of the saw I was supposed to flip

If the 250 is in good shape you will like it for $150. After you run it for awhile then you will probably end up like everyone here and need another bigger one. Seriously the 250 with a sharp chain will be all you need.

Leaving the 205 vs 026 out of it. If your friends with a Stihl dealer why wouldnt you have him find you a good used saw? I not really tight with my dealer but hes turned me onto a few good deals. Now back to the 250 vs 026, I would do the 250. I have a 021 that is the same body but smaller engine. Ive had it for a while and like it. As stated it is a homeowner saw and inferior in design but for what your doing it will suit you fine.:) Oh lastly why wouldnt you ask your dealer friend for this advice?

I Know.. CAD!

I havre tried that before, and it never works cause it is just not practical to sell a good runni saw, I just cant seem to do it, so I never end up actually getting rid of the saw I was supposed to flip

Me too... I just said that to justify buying both!:chainsaw:

Back