Used Stihl parts - any source???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Are there any Stihl or general chainsaw "junkyards" out there.

I picked up a used 044 that I'd like to bring up to good condition but it could really use a better handle and a cylinder. (the handle tip is split and the cylinder has a broken off cooling fin and some light scoring). The saw runs strong in spite of this though. Those two parts alone are way more than what the market value of the saw would be if purchased new.

If saws get parted out, is EBAY the main source or are there others??

Run it until it dies before you replace the cylinder. And if you change the jug that means you need a new piston and rings. I have seen Stihl and Husvqarna pistons and cylinders on Ebay on occasion but plan on scanning for a while before finding one. It is harder than you think to find a good bargain on these things. Cripes, I have seen seized up saws go for almost $100.

I Have aprox. 75 to 100 stihls in our boneyard. All for parts none worth fixing. But many parts. What handle you looking for ? Im not sure I have any 044s, but many parts are interchangeable.& as far as getting a used cyl. & piston. I dont think that is a good idea. Thats just my oppinion.

Actually it's the assembly where the back of the handle curves around and becomes the base of the saw. (the apex of this curve is cracked). I believe the fuel tank is also part of this molded assembly. If you have one of these in your bone yard let me know. (it might be common with 046 also)

I'm sure I could make a reliable handle repair with fiberglass or epoxy, but than I'd still need a cylinder and piston assembly to get it completely restored. $225 is a bit stiff for the cylinder kit.

I might just put the saw on EBAY and represent it accordingly.

I've bought some good used saws at hock shops and garage sales, but this one is at best a break even saw.

038 carb

I Have aprox. 75 to 100 stihls in our boneyard. All for parts none worth fixing. But many parts. What handle you looking for ? Im not sure I have any 044s, but many parts are interchangeable.& as far as getting a used cyl. & piston. I dont think that is a good idea. Thats just my oppinion.

do you have a tillotson carb for a 038 av dealer tells me i need one

DOUBLETODD... .the thread is nearly 7 years old...

There are two main sellers of used parts.

Curts saw parts
Cheap Stihl saw parts

Both on Ebay... Go to ebay and do a search on 038 carb.

Last edited:
ms 361

just have a couple loads of firewood on the 361 seems like a very good saw and the anti vibe is awesome. decided to stick with stihl even though my dealer is not so hot. with the weather here lately i wish i had handwarmers

038 carb

my local shop says my carb on the 038 has a piece of the idle needle seat in the carb and can't get it out. does this sound feasible or hokey, my saw won't idle
019 parts
038av
ms361 wow!

anyone have a rear handle/ fuel tank for an 044 Stihl?

Would anyone know where or have a used rear handle w/fuel tank for a Stihl ?

Back