used woodstoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydevil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see adds on craigs list and similar sites, where folks just want to get rid of stoves and inserts(cheap). I have plenty of room to store a few. I am thinking obout buying them cheap, cleaning them up, and making minor repairs, and then reselling for a reasonable proffit. I know a litle about stoves and am a good mechanic. On the surface it seems like an ok idea, but I want to know what ya'll think. I know nobody is giving away new top of the line stuff, but as we all know, one mans trash, is another mans cash. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, JD

But as with vehicles, it varies state to state, some states want you to match EPA reg to the year of the stove, some want year to date. But I have yet to hear of anybody being busted for selling a stove to a willing buyer.

People buy the old ones, especially vintage stoves, for their shops etc., but rarely for their houses or cabins up here unless they don't care about insurance as without CSA certification you won't get it. Ditto on the efficiency statement above, alot of the really old cast iron (bolt together, nickle highlighted) ones end up as simply decoration (restoring one this summer, circa 1900's) or yard ornaments, some make excellent outdoor cook stove/trash burners (never heard that from me ;) ). Some of the really old stoves are becoming highly sought after as collectables. There were some very good airtights manufactured by small companies in the 60's-70's, I have a little beauty sittin' in my woodshed, but unfortunately very few carried CSA approval. The one I have is cylindrical with double paned front glass and brass scroll work added. Craftsmanship and materials of the highest quality, but in the long run Canadian Standards put the company out of business as they wanted a free stove of each (I believe there were 4 different sizes) to test, non-returnable. From what I understand the gent who built them on Vancouver Island up near Courtney told them to stuff it and closed shop in protest, a real shame. :angry2: Anyone wanna buy a nice stove? :) Anyhoo, enough blatherin', do some research on what models are and aren't usable......hm, or not...

:cheers:

Serge

WOW, I broke the law and didn't even know it. I hate it when that happens! I bought a used stove, and it was too old to be EPA compliant. I was given an old stove my aunt heated her farm house with, but it wasn't UL listed, so my insurance wouldn't touch it, so I found a used one with a UL listing, never thought to look for an EPA cert. Oh well, I am only planning on using it another year or two, then I want to get a higher efficiency EPA model.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know where to find info on the matter? I guess I'll try pa.state.org or something. Thanks:blob2:

never heard of that law.

it must vary state to state or not be enforced.i bought a used fisher and i love it.

Certification...But

Just remember it is illegal to sell used non epa wood stoves, even for private individuals. Some of these old stoves last forever but really need to be retired because the newer stoves burn so much cleaner and use less wood.

No one has done time for selling a non EPA stove. It varies from state to state, often grandfathered in for older stoves. Many of the pre EPA stoves were super wood heaters...and clean if burned correctly. Think about the 1000's of Scandinavian wood stoves still in use from the 70's and 80's: Lange, Morso, Jotul. Or the well crafted U.S, stoves still in use: Fisher etc...
It is not "illegal" to sell them. There are no STOVE POLICE , here at least, running around looking in your windows.
The manufacturers pay for particulate measurements and approved ratings such as UL. The EPA does NOT check stove models. It simply sets emission standards.
Now, you may be burning inefficiently, or putting out more particulates than EPA approved ( not "certified" ) stove, but at least you're using a renewable, carbon-free ( speak to me Al !!) energy resource. And, yes, your insurance company MAY not write you for the value of the home.
Plenty of people can not afford to pay the $2000. + for a shiny new EPA stove.
Enough scaring with the "illegal" stuff......:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

No one has done time for selling a non EPA stove. It varies from state to state, often grandfathered in for older stoves. Many of the pre EPA stoves were super wood heaters...and clean if burned correctly. Think about the 1000's of Scandinavian wood stoves still in use from the 70's and 80's: Lange, Morso, Jotul. Or the well crafted U.S, stoves still in use: Fisher etc...
It is not "illegal" to sell them. There are no STOVE POLICE , here at least, running around looking in your windows.
The manufacturers pay for particulate measurements and approved ratings such as UL. The EPA does NOT check stove models. It simply sets emission standards.
Now, you may be burning inefficiently, or putting out more particulates than EPA approved ( not "certified" ) stove, but at least you're using a renewable, carbon-free ( speak to me Al !!) energy resource. And, yes, your insurance company MAY not write you for the value of the home.
Plenty of people can not afford to pay the $2000. + for a shiny new EPA stove.
Enough scaring with the "illegal" stuff......:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I would suggest you do alittle more research about older style (non EPA approved) wood stoves. These regulations does not vary from state to state as you stated. This is a federal law and applies to all. I guess the bottom line is, that you are subject to heavy fines in purchasing and or selling an un-approved EPA wood stove. There is no scare tactics here as you refer to. If you want to sell and or install a non-EPA wood stove, go for it !! and if you get a summons for doing so, just pay the fine. If your house burns down from installing and or using an unapproved woodstove, to bad !!:dizzy:

I am not taking sides here, but I just want to add this. I see all kinds of used stoves for sale here in PA. I also see brand new "non epa approved" stoves for sale in Northern Tool's cat. Why does the state allow people to sell them, and allow the advertizment in news papers, magazines and such, if they(the state) doesn't want them installed? There are obviously loopholes right? Let's hear from someone in the business.

...If It Looks Like a Duck

I would suggest you do alittle more research about older style (non EPA approved) wood stoves. These regulations does not vary from state to state as you stated. This is a federal law and applies to all. I guess the bottom line is, that you are subject to heavy fines in purchasing and or selling an un-approved EPA wood stove. There is no scare tactics here as you refer to. If you want to sell and or install a non-EPA wood stove, go for it !! and if you get a summons for doing so, just pay the fine. If your house burns down from installing and or using an unapproved woodstove, to bad !!:dizzy:

No need for that research. Follow the "law" as you state it, fine if you want. The reality is that every state here in the northeast and in the Pacific NW have many many periodicals and newspapers and internet sales of wood stoves ( the very "illegal" type) going on as we speak :cheers: .
e.g. go online and look at Want Advertiser, or Uncle Henry's, or.......

Now for "burning down". A brand new EPA inspected legal stove if installed incorrectly will be dangerous. Clearances, quality of manufacture, chimney setup and construction. It ain't the stove. Are we all dopes :cry: :cry: ?
Again: do you know of any fines (those heavy ones) actually paid, or summons ( what are those buyers and sellers, pedophiles ? :deadhorse: ) for selling or purchasing one of those dreaded non-EPA stoves ? I've asked Code Enforcement Officers, the State Fire Marshal, dealers...no one ever even heard of it. People spoken to or with, that's it.
Don't want to get tough about reality, but it is. Don't forget those who can't afford the $2000. and more for the stoves we useand can afford. Ask ArboristSite how many of the wood stoves used for a barn, a shop, a spare cottage, a sauna, you name it, are one of the non-EPA approved wood stoves. Ask.
What do you have ? How long have you been using wood for 24/7 heating ? How many wood stoves have you used in your life ? Ever rebuilt a stove ? How many stoves or chimneys have you installed ? Curious minds want to know.....:cheers: :cheers:

No need for that research. Follow the "law" as you state it, fine if you want. The reality is that every state here in the northeast and in the Pacific NW have many many periodicals and newspapers and internet sales of wood stoves ( the very "illegal" type) going on as we speak :cheers: .
e.g. go online and look at Want Advertiser, or Uncle Henry's, or.......

Now for "burning down". A brand new EPA inspected legal stove if installed incorrectly will be dangerous. Clearances, quality of manufacture, chimney setup and construction. It ain't the stove. Are we all dopes :cry: :cry: ?
Again: do you know of any fines (those heavy ones) actually paid, or summons ( what are those buyers and sellers, pedophiles ? :deadhorse: ) for selling or purchasing one of those dreaded non-EPA stoves ? I've asked Code Enforcement Officers, the State Fire Marshal, dealers...no one ever even heard of it. People spoken to or with, that's it.
Don't want to get tough about reality, but it is. Don't forget those who can't afford the $2000. and more for the stoves we useand can afford. Ask ArboristSite how many of the wood stoves used for a barn, a shop, a spare cottage, a sauna, you name it, are one of the non-EPA approved wood stoves. Ask.
What do you have ? How long have you been using wood for 24/7 heating ? How many wood stoves have you used in your life ? Ever rebuilt a stove ? How many stoves or chimneys have you installed ? Curious minds want to know.....:cheers: :cheers:

I believe I stated before that this was a federal regulation (e.g. http://www.epa.gov/region1/eco/maine/index.html ). I'm just relaying the information that I received from EPA region # 1. If you want to debate the whole issue, then here is your chance, debate it with them. Your list of questions to your other off the wall questions is ; brains, quite a while, a few, yes. a few.:clap:

"Illegal" She Said

I believe I stated before that this was a federal regulation (e.g. http://www.epa.gov/region1/eco/maine/index.html ). I'm just relaying the information that I received from EPA region # 1. If you want to debate the whole issue, then here is your chance, debate it with them. Your list of questions to your other off the wall questions is ; brains, quite a while, a few, yes. a few.:clap:

There's "illegal" and there's "illegal". Watch those Stove Police coming out of Nashua:cheers: No debate FG: no need for scaring the people off.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

There's "illegal" and there's "illegal". Watch those Stove Police coming out of Nashua:cheers: No debate FG: no need for scaring the people off.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good comeback, :deadhorse: !! I just speak the facts, whether its scare tactics or not. You can either comply or not comply, its that simple. So save your arguments for a later date. Cheers to you too !!

If you buy a non EPA or non UL listed stove you may find it hard for it to pass inspection or have an insurance company cover it. Some sweeps or installers won't even touch them. I know a couple picky inspectors that won't pass it unless it has a UL lable. Sure you can install it yourself and bypass it being inspected, but if your house burns down are you willing to take the chance that insurance will cover damages?

Back