using a bottle jack for falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGC4200

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
woke up @ 3 am, couldn't sleep, flipped through the television channels &
found a basically anti-logging show on the PNW, spotted owl & all that.
The thing that caught my eye was a felling method, they had cut a square notch
& inserted/pumped a hydraulic bottle jack to make the tree go the way they wanted.

woke up @ 3 am, couldn't sleep, flipped through the television channels &
found a basically anti-logging show on the PNW, spotted owl & all that.
The thing that caught my eye was a felling method, they had cut a square notch
& inserted/pumped a hydraulic bottle jack to make the tree go the way they wanted.

100% better than wedges!!
Pioneerguy600

Using bottle jacks is generaly for large trees where wedges aren't enough to commit a tree in a desired direction. A 'V' shaped notch is cut to fit the jack along with a steel jack plate on top of the jack.
Wedges should be driven as soon as possible in case the jack slips or fails.
Never done it before, but my B.C. Fallers and Buckers Handbook describes it well.
Maybe this thread should be moved over to the F&L forum for more response.
John

I am not recommending the method

Never used it myself, might have if I had thought of it, tried to find title of
TV show, Susan Sarandon narrated, video of logging trucks, Stihl chainsaws
& Husqvarna music in the background.
Think it was centered on Klamath range in Oregon.

Using bottle jacks is generaly for large trees where wedges aren't enough to commit a tree in a desired direction. A 'V' shaped notch is cut to fit the jack along with a steel jack plate on top of the jack.
Wedges should be driven as soon as possible in case the jack slips or fails.
Never done it before, but my B.C. Fallers and Buckers Handbook describes it well.
Maybe this thread should be moved over to the F&L forum for more response.
John

There are jacks made that fit this purpose very well, they are very short and refered to as low lift hydraulic jacks. Mine were 6" tall, had a flat steel plate 1/2"X4"X4" on both top and bottom, they would lift 20 ton 3" and we would chase the gap with wedges until the tree tipped.Then ran like heck.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Howdy,
As mentioned before, they might look like regular bottle jacks. Please don't go out and try it with a regular bottle jack or you might just get a face full.
Regards
Gregg

Never used it myself, might have if I had thought of it, tried to find title of
TV show, Susan Sarandon narrated, video of logging trucks, Stihl chainsaws
& Husqvarna music in the background.
Think it was centered on Klamath range in Oregon.

what the heck is husqvarna music? do they got a cd?

I have used a 20 ton bottle jack to fell large trees before. it works very well but is frowned uppon by most. A few things to keep in mind...... the jack could possibly kick out while jacking it so watch placment....... always use thick plate steel on the top and bottom of the jack to spread the load.... as mentioned above always block or wedge as you go up incase you have a jack failure to keep the tree from coming back. I am thinking of building myself a 20 ton jack just for felling with plates welded on and some spikes on the plates to get them to bite the wood a little better. I am not saying this is something you should try but it can be done safely.

not many nonpros are gonna drop a grand on a silvey...... its like saying why waste your time pulling firewood with your tractor when you can get a john deere skidder (whatever model is the biggest baddest and most expensive).

I have used a 20 ton bottle jack to fell large trees before. it works very well but is frowned uppon by most. A few things to keep in mind...... the jack could possibly kick out while jacking it so watch placment....... always use thick plate steel on the top and bottom of the jack to spread the load.... as mentioned above always block or wedge as you go up incase you have a jack failure to keep the tree from coming back. I am thinking of building myself a 20 ton jack just for felling with plates welded on and some spikes on the plates to get them to bite the wood a little better. I am not saying this is something you should try but it can be done safely.

Don't forget a pivot point for the top plate. Most of the spit-outs I've seen with bottle jacks were from trying to do too much with them.
And when you have a tree jacked over a ways and that jack spits out it can get real ugly real fast.
Take a look at a set of tree jacks sometime...notice the difference in the shape and design features from a regular bottle jack. Bottle jacks, without a hinging top, won't give you a straight lift. They'll deform, side bind, blow out, or just come flying back out of the cut with a speed you'd have to see to believe.

wow what a coincidence!! "we" (my uncle, dad, and I) just used this method for the first time today to fall a big white oak.
The white oak was known as "the county line tree" because it was big, old growth, and it was right on the county line on our neighbors land. it died about 3 years ago and we got permission to take it down. we wanted to fall it out on the dirt road beside it and to do that we were planning to pull it with a tractor until i got the book "Professional Timber Falling" from baileys and read about using a jack. we figured it would work as good and not be as much hassle as pulling it. it worked awesome and we had a great time cutting er down and buckin it up for firewood!

oh BTW we used a 20 ton bottle jack...sorry i didnt buy some 1000 dollar "tree jack" but it worked darn well

Mor information

Not that I'm ever going to use this method but are you fellas saying that there is a different type of bottle jack used for falling with this method?What I mean is one that is for falling is not like the one you would use underneath an axle of a vehicle.You fellas talk about a steel plate on the top and bottom of the jack,I would think that if you had some sort of teeth welded on to the top and bottom plates they would bite in solid and avoid slip out.But I'm no logger just a guy who is interested in all phases of the logging industry.
Lawrence

we used a wedge under the jack to give it the correct lean into the desired falling direction. and we followed it with wedges.

Not that I'm ever going to use this method but are you fellas saying that there is a different type of bottle jack used for falling with this method?What I mean is one that is for falling is not like the one you would use underneath an axle of a vehicle.You fellas talk about a steel plate on the top and bottom of the jack,I would think that if you had some sort of teeth welded on to the top and bottom plates they would bite in solid and avoid slip out.But I'm no logger just a guy who is interested in all phases of the logging industry.
Lawrence

Lawrence,..check out the post by slowp in this thread,#13 I think, there is a link there that will take you to some picts of said jack.

Pioneerguy600

I use a 22ton stubby bottle jack by simplex I think its the same as a Zinca or Zinco (not sure which is correct) Started out with cheap jacks. They didn't last long but they showed me what I could do with one. The simplex was about $150 but I could clearly see the better quality. Jacks deliver the best return on investment. One tree placed right and you got your money back.

Never had a spit out but I do keep the wedges with it. So its give a few pumps and then pound.
I put a shackle in one corner of the steel plate so I can hang it on my forwarder gate and also the attach a ribbon to because sometimes the plate takes off with the tree and is easily lost in the leaves. Being a eastcoaster my trees are not that big and the 22ton jack seems to be enough. I can't comment on what is right for the big wood of the PNW.

Practice on trees where it dosen't matter if you screw up.

Another good jack brand is 'enerpac' i think

Ru55ell

Lawrence

Silvey Tree Jacks

These guys make the best. Lots off good information.

Back