Using bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORbowHntr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there a substitute for todays bar oil?? i'm find regular bar oil at my local store has been unavailable for a while (cheaper than the other chain stores), is there a type of oil like 10W or 30 Wt. oil that would work??,,i think that if my old Dayton that i found recently calls for a fual mix of 30 wt/ gas would work why not some kind of oil other than regular bar oil.

_Dayton 2Z436 / 21 in.
4.5 ci

I think you may have opened a 'can of worms' here my friend. You better sit down! (Ha Ha). :)

I have been using vegetable oil, as bar oil, for some time now. Have found no noticeable difference, to previously using petroleum based bar oil. :angel:

Do a quick search of the threads, and you will find more than enuff info on bar oil, 2-stroke, or just about anything oil related to saws.

I just tore apart a saw that had motor oil used in it for years as bar oil, and it was a mess. :dizzy: I think the guy was using old crankcase oil from his trucks. I don't reccomend using crankcase oil at all. The loggers I know will use just about anything in a pinch, but only unless the have too. Then it's right back to bar oil. I believe some have used 30WT as well.

I personnaly have only used Stihl bar oil :cool: in my Stihl saws. Just my 2 cents.

Gary

...what GASoline71 said.... lots of discussion on bar oil to be read.... kinda depends on what sort of performance you're expecting in terms of protection and efficiency. I use vegetable oil to placate the wife (she is put off enough with the noise!).. I'm sure I'll go through chains a bit quicker but veggie oil is benign and doesn't stain my wood, which I use for construction projects.

I buy the poulan brand bar and chain oil from walmart $2.83 a gallon can't be beat. I can't even get 4 quarts of cheap motor oil for that price check it out and see. Its all the same bar oil is bar oil usually except for walmart brand which is just 30wt oil and it sucks as bar oil.

DanManofStihl said:
I buy the poulan brand bar and chain oil from walmart $2.83 a gallon can't be beat. I can't even get 4 quarts of cheap motor oil for that price check it out and see. Its all the same bar oil is bar oil usually except for walmart brand which is just 30wt oil and it sucks as bar oil.

Thanks for the Walmart info. I usually buy whatever bar oil is on the shelf where I am shopping at the time. Walmart brand won't be one.

Harry K

As far as I know, all bar oil is is 30wt oil, minus the additives that make motor oil appropriate for use in 4 cycle engines, plus tack additive that makes it sticky so it stays on the chain around the tip.

But the controversy is over whether or not the tack additive is needed, and may claim to use vegetable oil with success and no additional wear to bar and chain.

DanManofStihl said:

Thanx DanMan

Wal-Mart here has been out of the poulan brand for almost 3 weeks now,probably because of the cheap price and it's the cheapest around,,and a bottle of Wesson or Crisco ain't reall cheap to use. i'll check back at Wal-Mart before i go out ant end of the month for my bow season

Latest posts

Back