Using crotches or using a pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City climber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know a climber who insists on using a pulley on every removal he does. Personally I think its a waste of time,I prefer to use crotches you can use 1 rope and have 2 lowering points. I do use a pulley occasionally when I have to lower trunk sections down,or need to create a spot to lower from. What do you guys prefer

I usually don't pull out the rigging gear unless I'm lowering pieces over 500 lbs or so, or if I can't find a decent crotch to use.
I've been known to shave out tight crotches with my chainsaw to make room for a rope (removals only).

i guess what TC said is about fair, species dependant, no shocking, no fast slide, perhaps a lil less. Sometimes extra lines or shared upper anchors (in series or 2/1) up around that point.

i generally prefer natural crotch. High friction, means friction is holding part of the load, so less pull on the only variable (of anchor load formulae) on no shock, hanging loads on single anchors; so less anchor load.

You can't prestretch the line before cutting as well with frictional redirect, for the line on the load side of the frictional anchor is isolated to some extent from the control leg. So pulling the control line to pretighten through the fricition, doesn't really pretighten the load leg very much, that really matters.

But, in trade, if you can get the slowly hinging load to prestretch the line as it sinks, then that short segreagated piece of line is all that has to be stretched by this self enacting motion. So, with high friction (wrap) on anchor there is less anchor load, the load can be made to spread out to less leveraged pull on the anchor, and the self tightening action only has to take the slack out of the short segment of line. i release the friction wrap remotely between loads and for removal of line with sling(s)/biner(s) sets or for longer or to ground remote control with a biner on rope, the biner through the wrap to tighten by sweating in, and release for pulling line up.

This is why i asked in Sherrill forum if any one ever tried a PortaWrap for high frictional redirect, without cambium damamge threat.

In lifitng the pulleys rule, as now the friction buffer between the 2 legs of line now puts more load on the anchor, as it has to overcomne the friction before working on the load.

That is; IMAO:D

Last edited:
I prefer natural crotches with the attendant increase in friction whenever practical. The block comes out when it is NEEDED to accomplish rigging where no suitable crotch exists.

I almost never use a natural crotch.
I carry a pulley and strap on my belt, it takes about 15 seconds to hang.
If I need friction I have a Harken ratchet block, a few different figure 8's, or I might just do a munter hitch.
If it's obvious that there will be lots of rigging, I'll take two or three blocks with me, in addition to a big heavy duty one I set in the middle somewhere I can use it to the end of the removal without having to move it.
If you are trimming, set it up to be removable from the ground.
I can't believe you guys don't use blocks!

i use cmi pulleys if i feel needed; carry 2 drop eyes on belt; have 3 big blox on truck.

Need depends on trim/removal; weight of load, impact, thickness of bark, sharing of anchors etc. (for me).

Here is super friction setup i use sometimes quite powerfully.

I have found that ropes last longer removals go faster with a block or two. I hardly ever use a natural crotch or wrap ropes around tree. Rigging equipment gives a constant predictable amount of friction with out messing up your ropes.

Latest posts

Back