Using some Qtr Sawn Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hautions11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Most people dont remember, but my first milling project was a large red oak that was blown down at a friends cabin a few miles from my house. I did not know much, but with a lot of help from people here, I did not make a big mess out of it. This Cmass, my middle son wanted some new speakers. My older son and I researched components and ordered all the pieces. What would be better then some custom cabinets from the quartersawn oak. I finished planing some last night and it is really beautifull. You know you see the signs of rays in the milled lumber, but until you get to this point it is hard to say what the boards are going to look like. Here are some pics from the shop. 4' long 10 to 12" wide. I will get some finished product shots when I am done.

QrtrsawnSm.jpg

I noticed the 084 sitting on the bench behind these boards looking on. It looks happy.

084lokkingonsm.jpg

More later.

Hautions, beautiful qsawn oak. Wait till you put some oil or finish on them and those rays REALLY pop out at you. I call that stage III. Stage I is when you can see rays even in roughsawn boards that look promising. Stage II is when you get them planned down in the shop like in your post and you can tell how good they look. Stage III is when you put a finish on that board and they really pop out at you.

hautions11 said:
Air dry about 6 months and then indside for 4 more. I hope they turn out OK.

Really nice looking rays, make sure you post some pictures after the finish goes on.

It would be nice to see a few pictures of the same wood after rough cut, after running it through the planner and after the finish goes on. Might make for a interesting thread.

Good job.:rock:

Beautiful wood! The payoff for your hard work!

That oak will make good heavy, stiff speaker boxes. :clap:

Yes, oak is both dense and strong. Here is a picture of the as sawn boards when I brought them home. I'll make sure to get a shot of the finished product.

Nicerays-1.jpg

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Very nice ray fleck! You should get twice the satisfaction from your completed project knowing you milled those. I would...
...I do to!! :blob2:

Except for some red cedar I had to buy from an Amish mill, virtually every piece of wood that enters my shop and leaves as a finished product I milled and dried myself using the csm & Ripsaw. It does add a measure of satisfaction for sure. (also beats paying the price of retail lumber).

Ok, I posted the raw boards, the planed product in the shop, now here is a little finish on the sub-woofer box. The amp is installed, the dampening material is stuck inside the case and now do a final install on the speakers and we will be all set. Rough mill to final project. Pretty cool!

QrtrSawnSpeaker.jpg

Back