using Wasp/Hornet spray around our ropes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anybody know what happens when wasp/hornet knockdown spray ends up on your rope?

is there a chance the chemicals can affect the ropes fibers, and thus present a safety risk to the treeclimber?

Most of those sprays are primarily light petroleum derived hydrocarbons and both nylon and polyester are resistant to petroleum solvent damage so I doubt there is much risk of serious weakening....obviously avoiding contact would be best. FWIW-most of us have clobbered a wasp nest with a splash of gasoline or a squirt of WD40 when we didn't have Wasp Killer/knockdown stuff handy. A few years ago a certain Louisiana climber told me to just use soapy water. I had to test that after he insisted that he was serious. Sure enough-some dish detergent in water works-the wasps do not die immediately but they fall down and can't fly and succomb in a little while-I guess the soap/detergent smothers them by clogging up their breathing mechanism. Safe cheap and non toxic to me- I like it.

"just use soapy water. I had to test that after he insisted that he was serious. Sure enough-some dish detergent in water works-the wasps do not die immediately but they fall down and can't fly and succomb in a little while"
I was watching a Discovery channel show about pest control and the pro was using the same thing soap/water.P.S. works great on aphids too.

Back