Using your climbing line as a flip line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use of climbing lines

I often use my climbing line as a flip line along with a 1/2 inch lanyard steel or non steel. I also use a micro or Gibbs ascender so I can always be tied in. I will even use both at the same time if I have a long straight stick with no branches. (normally only on removals though). If there are branches I need to get around, I just alternate. I use steel for removals and non steel for prunning.

welcome to as i only use non steel core lanyards as I haven't made a steel core for a while but as for pruning i can usually get a leg lock on the limb to hold my position but I carry a lanyard regardless.

I regularly use my climbing line as a lanyard. It gives me a lot of length, and a second lanyard without having to carry two.
If I was to nick my climbing line I would consider it to be no more seriose of a screw up than nicking my wire core. Also I don't rig my lowering lines so that they conflict with any other lines, especially not my lanyard.

Well said. +1.

I'll use it as a secondary lanyard but not a flip line as the abrasion prematurely wears the rope on the end.

That's why you cut off the ends on a regular basis. By the time my rope is too short for use (usually by the time it is under 100 feet) it's time for a new rope anyway.

Well said. +1.

That's why you cut off the ends on a regular basis. By the time my rope is too short for use (usually by the time it is under 100 feet) it's time for a new rope anyway.

To clarify my original thought, using your climbing line as a working positioning lanyard is not the same as using it for a flip line. In the flip line situation, the line abuse is within a six to ten foot span of your line in a part of the line that will always be there regardless of how high off the ground you are. You can create enough wear and tear on it in one week to compromise it's strength when required in a fall/arrest situation. It requires a great deal of knowledge, vigilance and discipline to cut off that much of your expensive, lifesaving high line on a regular basis. You could end up having to replace your high line every couple of months and most just simply won't do that.

I personally want to know that my high line is in the same condition throughout it's entire length and not compromised.

DMc

Back