Advancing prusick on climb line question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have been using the classic ddrt climb line with a flip line while ascending on spikes for awhile now. I just use a micro pulley to advance my blakes hitch up the climb line as im spiking up the tree. My question is , i find myself advancing my climb line every couple of steps up the tree to keep the climb line from getting to much slack. This seems to be very time consuming and combersome at times. Is there a different set up i can use to ascend that is more efficient?? I used to just use to flip lines while hopscotching branches , but now like to use climb line in case i need to bail out of the tree. Thanks for any input

Use both climbing line and flip line. Rather than hopscotching branches, remove them as you are going up (you are removing them all anyhow...right...not spiking on prune jobs...right?). Since you are taking the time to do that, you won't feel like you are wasting time advancing the climbing line as you go since you are stopped anyhow.

Safety does take time...but so do ER trips ;)

Try going SRT and using the prusik as a safety, though a different descender is probably better, figure 8 or a handled ascender.

DDRT your going to be fighting the friction of whatever branch you've tossed the line over, not letting it self tend, SRT all the free end of the line is pulling on the prusick allowing it to self tend.

Since your using your flip line and I assume spikes the climb line is primarily a safety line then DDRT is kinda pointless since its supposed to be a 2-1 effort saving method.

I switched to a handled descender a few months ago while it doesn't self tend real well it is much more secure then a figure 8 and easier then a prusik, but generally I run the safety line up with me keeping it just bellow or above the flip line, cause if I can toss a line as far as I need to climb then I can rig a pull line and not bother climbing at all.

It sounds like you still aren't confident just using spurs and a lanyard and like the security that having the top rope gives.
I would suggest you try and become more confident being on spurs without the top rope security, then you will be able to climb several steps without needing to take out the slack.

It sounds like you still aren't confident just using spurs and a lanyard and like the security that having the top rope gives.
I would suggest you try and become more confident being on spurs without the top rope security, then you will be able to climb several steps without needing to take out the slack.
Funny you say that cause i have been climbing without a top rope for the last 10 years, I mention it here once and everybody jumps my guns. Trying to incorporate a climb line to keep her safe but just wanted a more efficient way of advancing up, if that's possible. If not, I'll keep climbing. I'm very well seasoned on Spurs, just wanted to see if anybody has any advice on a different system with ddrt. Dont mean to sound almighty, i was just looking for advice on a a change.
I remember when i started climbing , i had so much pain in my feet and legs and you guys informed me of boots and good pads a long time ago.
The best advice i ever had!!!!
Im now wearing big buck super wraps with wescos and im one happy camper, literally!!!
Just wanted to say thanks, especially you jeff, lol, no i really mean it

I use a hitch climber pulley ddrt. When I am climbing a long way up I will get a groundie to tend my slack and free climb. If there is little friction at the tip the prusic will be fully tended. If there is a lot of friction in the tip my harness pulls the prusic up and there is about a foot of slack in the system.

Why not just have your groundman belay you? If your using a blakes just leave a tail on the end of your rope (or a split tail), spike up while the groundman tends your slack and then tie your blakes when you reach your TIP.

Or go to a multiscender srt setup with or without spur mounted ascender and skip the flipline all together.

Try going SRT and using the prusik as a safety, though a different descender is probably better, figure to us
DDRT your going to be fighting the friction of whatever branch you've tossed the line over, not letting it self tend, SRT all the free end of the line is pulling on the prusick allowing it to self tend.

Since your using your flip line and I assume spikes the climb line is primarily a safety line then DDRT is kinda pointless since its supposed to be a 2-1 effort saving method.

I switched to a handled descender a few months ago while it doesn't self tend real well it is much more secure then a figure 8 and easier then a prusik, but generally I run the safety line up with me keeping it just bellow or above the flip line, cause if I can toss a line as far as I need to climb then I can rig a pull line and not bother climbing at all.
Can anyone explain why a climb line is pointless if im using a flip line and spikes? I thought this was added saftey and also considered a second tie in point when cutting. I used to just use two flip lines to advance over branches. Even though i do remove limbs while going up i like to go up several limbs and work from that point as i usually have to rig each limb with a bull rope(this is referring to a earlier post).

Can anyone explain why a climb line is pointless if im using a flip line and spikes? I thought this was added saftey and also considered a second tie in point when cutting. I used to just use two flip lines to advance over branches. Even though i do remove limbs while going up i like to go up several limbs and work from that point as i usually have to rig each limb with a bull rope(this is referring to a earlier post).
using ddrt methods with a flip line is the overkill part.

with single line you can throw the line over whatever branch os handy or 30 of em as long as your weight is going to be supported there is no need to isolate a single branch. you then tie off one end and climb on the single line, or use it as a back up whatever...

ddrt is a built in 2-1 meant mostly for ascent, pull on one side and you pull yerself up, works good with just a prusik and no other gear except the basics... biners saddle etc.

since your using your climb line as a safety only and climbing with spikes and flip line, the effort saving part of ddrt is not being used and therefore pointless srt would serve the same purpose without the ass pain of more set up and the bonus of self tending

Looks like i need to consider srt. Any advice on where to start? What the best devices are for my application?

the list is long...

but fer just a back up a vt prusick and a figure 8 for decent is a good start.

fer actual ascent then you'll need various ascenders handled, foot, knee etc

like yerself i spike up mostly but sometimes i'll prune (very rarely) in that case petzel idl, with a handeled ascender and micro pully above it eith the tail strung through it and downa second handled ascender on the tail for grip.

push pully ascedner up as far as possible walk feet up a bit, grab tail ascender and pull while hip thrusting. works and is surprisingly easier then spiking... there are faster methods its not something i do often and haven't messed with the others enough to be confident

bonus of the Id is no changing gear fer decent unhook handled asceners pull the handle on the Id and down ya go...

Back