Utility bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a theory that the utility buckets would be better because of their boom mount location and tool storage. Is there any drawbacks to them? I chip into a 1 ton so I dont need a dump body. I couldnt even get a bucket back where I dump anyway. Heres a truck I was looking at.
c755e64b7aa9f5fbfbbfe859afe8a297.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't know one way or the other...but I have thought about these too. One thing that stands out to me is they have probably taken a lot less abuse over the years too.

And they are a 2000 lb jib with a winch. So you have a mini crane. They are cdl though.

Isnt it equal side reach?

we have a couple companies that use utility booms around here. the double over center is a great bonus over the utilities. we also have a big tree service that uses primarily flatbed trucks that they either buy or build out of bucket/chip combos. flatbed is great if you have a seperate chip truck. keeps more open ground to throw things and removes the fiberglass fenders from the bouncing zone

A 60' double over center rear mount for example will reach 50' away at 10' above ground level, then an arch up to 60' directly above the turret. Whereas a non over center 70' will reach 70' up directly over turret but (these #'s are estimated) only say 35' away at 45' high with a reducing arch up and down from there. So probably 10' away at 10' up.

I just converted my forestry combo over to a rearmount flatbed. Only a little shorter chassis but sight lines are much better, gets through tighter areas and is 5-6k lbs lighter, 454 gas @ 3mpg to diesel @12 mpg20160901_152823.jpg IMG_20130907_114008_061.jpg

Attachments

• 20160901_152823.jpg
    20160901_152823.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
It's what I run, am855h which the upper is over center the lower goes to 110° but if you need more you just spin it around and it will have a 55' side reach. For me I'd never run anything other than a rear mounted with utility bed. If you back up to trees you can be 5 or 6 feet closer to the tree and you'll have everything you could ever need on the truck but you've still got to have another truck... not all required cdl or have a jib winch some have 2 some have 4 outriggers I like em with 4 I had a high ranger with 2 and you could feel the lean sometimes...

Both of mine are rear mount and have materials handler. I wouldn't have one without the winch. Your pic looks a lot like my 60 ft. Very good rig. Wish it was 75 ft sometimes, but that's why I bought the big one. Never got the idea of pulling the cab, windshield, front fenders and engine under the tree then dropping blocks and limbs all around it. Rear mount and utility bed works great.

Mine weighs 28900... one must pay attention to soft ground. But what does a forestry truck weigh? I don't know mine is full of saws chains bars ropes pulleys food clothes and toilet paper if needed.

Both of mine are tandem axles. Get that if you can. My little one weighs about 32,000 and the bigger one is 53,000. There are some yards I can't get in at certain times and I have to stay off of sidewalks entirely with the big one. Or lay down pads. But big trees need big equipment. Or at least it helps a lot. I can get my 32,000 truck just about anywhere. Sometimes have to let the ground dry up a few days. Forestry trucks will be lighter. Depends on truck and boom. Personally I like the utility bed. It's nice to have everything you need right there at the tree.

Mine is a rear mount utility am755 63k miles auto I love it the utility box is dam tough and the rear of the truck especially if compared to a front mount where your working around the hood. The best part is backing up to a fence and doing a removal in a back yard 1 time I removed 3 large maples from 1 spot it reaches things you would not think worst case scenario is it gets you in a spot to tie in and you remove a few limbs climbing then get back in. And yes they are well taken care of compared to a tree bucket. Maintainanced on unlimited budget by the power company. The occasional time you need the winch boom it really impressed. I definitely would buy another used one and a bigger chip truck rather than a bucket chip combo.

I've got a beautiful am755h with an altec bed as well but the truck has part on it that's went bad I had to buy a complete different truck over it... also if you get a utility bed you can have them all keyed for one key or even give the ground man his own "locker" with his own key so he can keep his own gloves, chaps, rain suit, hard hat, ground saw, lunchbox or whatever he desires...

My 2000 GMC 7500 Forestry gas engine weighed 20k. I'm guessing but a rear mount without boxes goes between 15k and 20k depending on chassis engine and brand. Empty cab chassis ford f700 gasser weighed about 12.5k w/ 16' of frame rail

66c5ed2c7a5d097f9142d889073de765.jpg

I bought this guy yesterday. Drove it from KY to PA today. With a little tlc and a paint job, I think its going to be nice!

Back