Van guard engine question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher2

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just bought a new 23 hp briggs van guard horizontal engine for $600.00 that a guy bought seveal years ago and never used it. It does not have the exhaust. Does any one know where you can buy it online? I found it at small engine dist but the site says they only sell whole sale. I could make one if I can't find one priced right.

briggs and stratton

engines

Just bought a new 23 hp briggs van guard horizontal engine for $600.00 that a guy bought seveal years ago and never used it. It does not have the exhaust. Does any one know where you can buy it online? I found it at small engine dist but the site says they only sell whole sale. I could make one if I can't find one priced right.

you can buy them directly from briggs and stratton if you wish too.
all you need is all the information on the ID plate of the engine.

if you have that information you can go to the briggs web site and identify your engine and find the muffler type you want to buy and ask for that part and what ever else you want to buy for it.

you dont have a lot of options as far as price goes and briggs is competitive in price for its parts where a retailer may have a higher price.

Thanks Leon the local dealer wants $156.00 for the muffer and on the Briggs site it is $143.00 so it looks like I will make a pipe and use a after market muffer . I guess I am cheap hate to spend $150.00 for a muffer on a $600.00 motor.

motor muffler whoopsie

Thanks Leon the local dealer wants $156.00 for the muffer and on the Briggs site it is $143.00 so it looks like I will make a pipe and use a after market muffer . I guess I am cheap hate to spend $150.00 for a muffer on a $600.00 motor.

FYI dont do any surgery to make your own muffler mod please! only because you will have too much back pressure that will blow the head gaskets!

I am sorry aboiut this but you are backed into a corner unless you go to a muffler shop with a very small tractor muffler- vertical with a rain cap and ask what a tee would cost if you provide the elbows and the engine for them to install it on so the they have it therre to measure for piping runs.

I really dont want to see you blow the head gaskets and possibly the plugs on the motor.

leon:jawdrop::popcorn::chainsaw:

Man, you stole that engine. I would love to found an engine like that when I was building my splitter.

I have a small round tractor muffler (13"x4") that I intended to mount to the 18hp briggs that I ended up with, but the muffler shops around here aren't set up to work with pipe that small. I ended up buying 2 of the biggest off the shelf screw on can mufflers I could find and they work fine, although they are loud. The package said they were rated for up to 16hp single cylinder engines. I even opened them up and packed them with those steel ribbon scrub pads for some kind of packing, and it didn't do any good with the noise. I am kind of keeping an eye out for a place that does custom motorcycle mufflers, they would be more apt to have the stuff to get the tractor muffler working.

Ian

Last edited:
FYI dont do any surgery to make your own muffler mod please! only because you will have too much back pressure that will blow the head gaskets!bull feathers

I am sorry aboiut this but you are backed into a corner unless you go to a muffler shop with a very small tractor muffler- vertical with a rain cap and ask what a tee would cost if you provide the elbows and the engine for them to install it on so the they have it therre to measure for piping runs.

I really dont want to see you blow the head gaskets and possibly the plugs on the motor.Old wives tale

leon:jawdrop::popcorn::chainsaw:

I have created all sorts of exhaust systems on all sorts of engines. As long as the system is big enough to handle the expected flow there is no problem. Would probably not work so well with a screw in muffler for a lawnmower... go swipe something from a really small car, and plumb the thing in.

Think about a 4 wheeler junk yard. should be a lot of them out there

Latest posts

Back