Engine to pump adapter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The engine on my splitter is basically on its last legs
I have a 15 Hp Kawasaki Vtwin on a mower I intended to use to repower my splitter
I purchased the mower new so I know it's history .I've since bought a bigger mower and this one is sitting unused

I'm switching from a horizontal shaft to a vertical shaft so some reworking is necessary and my current pump adapter will not work

Anyway how do I measure the bolt pattern on the bottom of engine to determine the proper adapter size

When I look at the adapters Im reading
"Engine bolt circle 5 inches or 3 1/2 squares" or something like" 2 3/4 by 2 inch square"
I think I know how to measure my engine but I would like to be sure because I will be ordering the mount online and hate to buy something that won't work.

I don't think you will find a factory build adapter to mount your pump to a vertical shaft engine. The factory ones are all for horizontal shaft engines. When I have used a vertical shaft engine I would custom build the whole mount or if I had a old one off the other motor I would cut it apart and use the pump side and custom build the engine side. If you google up vertical engine mounts for splitters you will get some ideas on how to build it.

Yup, make a cardboard template of the motor bolt holes, make a plate, figure how far the pump and motor have to be apart and then use 4 pieces of smallish angle iron for legs and make a plate to fit the pump as well.

I have done this numerous times. if you have basic welding skills, and a drill press it isn't hard.
First thing to acquire is the lovejoy coupler, and halves for engine and pump.
Make a square plate to fit the bolt pattern on the engine. You will get it close with measuring tape, and rat tail the holes a little to make it fit nice. with a nice big hole for the shaft to poke thru...
Duplicate the process with the pump. Same thing, just make it fit nice. Go get 4 hunks of angle iron, cut to the length between the pump and motor, close is good enough. the welder will make it work nice.
Now flip the engine so the shaft is straight up, bolt it's plate on, set the pump on there with it's plate, and get three hose clamps around the lovejoy. this will align it "close enough". set the angles on the corners, and keep it up until the plates are reasonably parallel. Tack weld them. Then tack weld everything. pull it all apart, and do the welding.
Takes a couple hours... but it is a way to mount a pump to a motor that they don't create adapters for.

The engine on my splitter is basically on its last legs
I have a 15 Hp Kawasaki Vtwin on a mower I intended to use to repower my splitter
I purchased the mower new so I know it's history .I've since bought a bigger mower and this one is sitting unused

I'm switching from a horizontal shaft to a vertical shaft so some reworking is necessary and my current pump adapter will not work

Anyway how do I measure the bolt pattern on the bottom of engine to determine the proper adapter size

When I look at the adapters Im reading
"Engine bolt circle 5 inches or 3 1/2 squares" or something like" 2 3/4 by 2 inch square"
I think I know how to measure my engine but I would like to be sure because I will be ordering the mount online and hate to buy something that won't work.
The Magnaloy catalog has drawings of engine and pump mounting dimensions.
https://magnaloy.com/catalog_pdf/MountCatalog.pdf
The Magnaloy mounts I've purchased have run from about $50 (5HP 184TC frame electric motor x SAE A pump face) to $200 (20HP(?) motor).

Back