Veneer grade question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestTree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What standards does a log have to meet to make it veneer quality? Does it have to be "perfectly" straight. After leaving the the property I was looking at the pictures and it seems to have a very slight curve to the portion of trunk the coud be used. Is there a min diameter? And is there a length min? The owner is the one that got the idea in my head that it could be veneer grade but said that he would give me the log if I wanted it, the rest he wants for fire wood. This is a hickory tree. Any info would be appreciated, I do not usually deal with keeping logs for timber but if I could sell it for some extra cash it would be worth it.

Not sure about anywhere else but around here the log has to be at least 10" at small end, no knots, no bad spots and exactly 17' 6" in length.

Last edited:
I've seen them take a few different sizes. defect free is the only thing I can say. And still wet. the only 2 mills I know of will come out and look at the log, then take it or not. One is down in northern IL, not sure where.

No branching cracks or whatnot, very little sweep, guarenteed metal free....

The reason they get so much is that they are so rare.

You can also sell walnut stumps if you can find the right buyer

a rare beast

Veneer logs like saw logs have different grades and consequently different values. The most valuable are straight, round and centered pith with no evidence of reaction or compression wood, mineral, gum or insect damage and a corespondingly large or small heart depending on the particular species. A veneer log will want to have extra trim on it for the buyers to make fresh cuts to grade the log. Length and diameter will depend on the particular mill usually. If there is some sweep you may just have a decent saw log. The great ones are few and far between.

Latest posts

Back