Vermeer 252 owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf66

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had a problem with my vermeer 252 last week. A puff of smoke came out from under the motor and the machine shut down. The + battery cable rubbed through the plastic cover and grounded out on the motor. The result was alot of new wiring. I determined that the batery cables are a little short and pull up under the motor. I replaced them with longer cables to correct the problem. My machine only has 440 hours on it, so look out for this problem to save yourself a wiring headache.

Originally posted by Wolf66
I had a problem with my vermeer 252 last week. A puff of smoke came out from under the motor and the machine shut down. The + battery cable rubbed through the plastic cover and grounded out on the motor. The result was alot of new wiring. I determined that the batery cables are a little short and pull up under the motor. I replaced them with longer cables to correct the problem. My machine only has 440 hours on it, so look out for this problem to save yourself a wiring headache.

what plastic cover is it over the battery ???..if so i aint got one:confused: ..my machine is 2000 or 2001 cant remember to be exact..but im over 500 hours ,do you mean a little cover that sits over the battery terminal???

strange thing with a 252 that the fuel tank is so close to the battery dont you think ..your lucky the whole thing didn't go up in smoke

The plastic cover I speak of is not on the battery itself but around the battery cables. They cover all the wires including the + battery cable. As you sweep right to left the wires and cables rub against the metal that the motor is bolted to. The + cable is to short and that puts extra tension on the cable and caused it to rub all the way through and ground out, what a mess. I keep a pair of cutters on the machine now. If this happens again, I will cut the cable to prevent damage and or a fire.

Latest posts

Back