Vermeer 252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affordabletree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found a 2007 vermeer stump grinder with just under 700 hours on it for $7900. I was wondering what it is worth and what I should look for in a used stump grinder.

It has the following going for it:

-Brand new yellow jacket teeth
-Comes with the factory trailer
- Looks like new like not a speck of dirt on it.

So is it a good deal at 7900 or would like 5000-6000 be more realistic?
Thanks
Adam

Adam,

If it's in as good of shape as it sounds I'd buy it. It's the last year before they started putting on those electronic controls on the levers that won't let you take your hands off the levers without stopping the clutch. Good for a rental yard I suppose, but not a professional.

Stumper63

I found a 2007 vermeer stump grinder with just under 700 hours on it for $7900. I was wondering what it is worth and what I should look for in a used stump grinder.

Thanks
Adam

There are a lot of them on ebay, chk them out for pricing info...i think 6500 would be
a good price for it, trlr really not nec imho, as u will be wanting to put it on regular
trlr so u can haul tools, saws, etc....

Bob.....:cheers:

I have a 252 and they are not a fast machine. They are nice for narrow access stumps and stumps in the 22" or less range. Form maximum production the teeth MUST be sharp and the belts tight, otherwise they are a waste of time and money. With that in mind $6500 would be fair.

I like my 252 but as others mentioned it does have have the production capabilities that a larger machine might have. It is, however, versatile and affordable compared to larger machines.

Depends on the size of your company and what you are going to do with it. It might not be worth spending 2 or 3 times as much on a larger used machine. However, if you are grinding big stumps all the time definitely go for the big one.

the 252 is so slow.how can you make money with it.k

depends on the amount of work you do

Thanks
Adam

The price for that macine new is probably around 15-17K and the price for the trailer is probably 1.5K, so the price for what you are looking at seems fair. If you are a small company (ie. 3-4 men with 1 or 2 chip trucks) then you can get by with that size machine; just make sure the teeth are sharp and belts tight (like the other guy said) if you are going to do a big stump. I have that machine and it is fine for doing a few stumps here and there. If I need to do a lot of large stumps on one site, I will rent a big machine for the day.

That a little over priced for my market. If it had 200 hours on it I would charge about $8000. What really matters is how much you need it, what else is available and for how much. Then you compare to whats new. It doesn't matter what something cost 1000 miles from you if you're not willing to go that far. Be sure to check the bearings.

I have a 252 that has been a workhorse. Used properly it is an excellent machine. Outworks a Carlton any day of the week.Giant stump8.jpg Giant stump5.jpg

My Carlton 2500-4 will out work that three wheeler any day of the week. "Just sayin."

My Carlton 2500-4 will out work that three wheeler any day of the week. "Just sayin."
That three Wheeler has paid for itself many times over. Bought a Carlton to replace it. No way can it perform like a 252. The Carlton has been for sale for a while with no takers. The 252 stays. Bring your Carlton to the Northwest where we have trees and I'll prove my point happily. Just sayin'

This stump grinder debate is about as fruitless as which saw should i buy.... Husky so n so, NO Stihl so n so, but i like my Echo so n so... flame flame... To the OP it sounds like it has a bit hi hours for the price they are asking for, if they have maintenence records showing it has been well maintained and has new tires fluids and extra teeth and a spare tire for the trailer or two then give them an offer a little lower then their asking price it may be worth it. What are your immediate needs compaired to future needs? The rental companies around here only use the sc252 which leads me to believe that they are fair priced new, tuff as nails (idiots use them everyday and they still function) and parts have to be fairly cheap and easy to come by (again idiots and all). I own a vermeer 6"chipper and most of the reviews here i read about it were its under powered slow and there are better machines. but really i dont feed it anything more then 5" most of the time because we buck the rest for fire wood. and from what i have read NO one likes a stump humper, but the majority of my work has been "hard to access" trees that maybe a self propelled grinder would get to, so a humper is whats in my future (their cheap too). I have watched a few carlton grinders operate and i have used a sc252 I wouldnt call either of them "fast" and im not sure i understand what you guys are talking about when you mean production? Do you mean like working for the city, and doing 5-10+ trees a day? if that were the case wouldnt you want a tow behind with massive amounts of power that you could position with the truck? that would seem faster then slow walking a self propelled grinder to where it needs to go.

Thanks
Adam
Dealer or private?

I followed the threads on this forum to beef up my 252. I upgraded the pulley on the hydraulic pump from 3" to 3.5" and switched the engine to a 35hp Briggs Vanguard. The end result is a machine that has faster ground and swing speed and grinds about 30% faster than the previous version. I spent about $3000 instead of $20K for a bigger and newer machine. I'm very happy with it, but agree that the 25 horse version sucks. It's a good first grinder if you don't have a bunch of money to spend or if stump grinding is not your primary source of income for your business. If you are grinding at least a couple times a week, spend the money and get at least a 35hp machine. Higher hp equals higher production. Higher production equals more money in your pocket.

I followed the threads on this forum to beef up my 252. I upgraded the pulley on the hydraulic pump from 3" to 3.5" and switched the engine to a 35hp Briggs Vanguard. The end result is a machine that has faster ground and swing speed and grinds about 30% faster than the previous version. I spent about $3000 instead of $20K for a bigger and newer machine. I'm very happy with it, but agree that the 25 horse version sucks.
Couple of questions. I upgraded to 27 hp Kohler and this did me some good. It did speed up the sweep as it turns a bit faster than the 25. You don't notice the increase in ground speed. With the 35 Briggs did you change shafts and bearings? Do you notice any problems with the faster sweep without increasing the rpm of the cutting wheel?

Latest posts

Back