Vermeer 620 25hp Kohler Siezed Up Engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawcharlie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I Got A Vermeer 620 Chipper With A 25hp Kohler Engine Fitted.the Engine Has Siezed Solid.is It Worth Fixing Or Just Sell It As Spares Or Repair .ps Anybody Know If Any Other Engine Will Fit Straight On As A Replacement Thanks

A Honda 24 HP (GX670 - horizontal) will be close. The height from the base to the shaft is a little different and so is the bolt hole pattern on the base. Otherwise, pretty close to a direct fit. However, I haven't had a honda engine idle as well as a Kohler engine yet, but they do make good power and can be had for less than a Kohler engine. Also, the throttle for the Honda uses a small friction plate and bolt which almost always needs adjusting because it's just too sticky, especially right out of the box.
Hope this helps.

Thanks For Info Ive Just Priced A Gx670 Up At 1490 Plus Vat And A Kohler Is About The Same Price.i Think Im Going Too Hold Out For A Second Hand Engine Too Come Up .anybody Got A Spare Engine For Sale

If looking to save money, I'd rebuild it. Else look for an old motorcycle engine if you want more power. Something with a lower rpm peak. The kohler maxes out at 3600 nominal, 3800 at over-rev.

I Would Love Too Have A Go At A Rebuild But .just Got Too Much Work On.ive Decided Too List It On Ebay Hopefully Somebody Will Be Prepared To Give 1500 For It In Its Current State Thanks Any Way M8

Charlie, I don't know what a 620 sells for in the UK but here a used one commonly fetches $4500-$5000. A new engine is less than $2000 here. I'd say FIX IT!A new engine would be worth it and rebuilding the current motor would be under $1000 for a complete job.

Im Going Too See The Bank Manager In Morning And Buy A New Chipper .i Just Dont Want Too Spend A Lot Of Money On The 620 Then Something Else Go Wrong .ive Had A Few Problems In The Past With Her.ie A Wheel Sheer Clean Off At 45 Mph. Had Her Remounted On A 2 Ton Plant Trailer.

Under vermeers website it only has one engine and thats the kohler but under bandits website there are many differnent ones. And I would think that they are the same, because we have a bandit 6" with the same 25 kohler engine. I would fix it. Because the way chippers are selling today...

things are looking up my m8 works for a plant hire company he recons the chipper on tracks hasent been hired out for months.they get new chippers every 3 years and are due for new ones.so if i play my cards right with any luck should have a cracking chipper on the cheap.yea your right theres more money in selling chippers than useing them

Latest posts

Back