Vermeer 625 Hydrualic Infeed (Reverse not working)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinaclimber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used vermeer 625 with a 25hp kohler engine. It's my first chipper and I'm still learning the ropes of troubleshooting. I have only ran it about 20 hours (the machine itself had about 3000hrs on it when I bought it) and the infeed works fine in forward, neutral, but when engaging it to reverse the infeed wheel doesn't turn at all. The autofeed was broken when I bought it, so I've been using it with auto-feed off. The reverse feed seemed to have stopped working today. Any ideas of where/what to check first? Hydraulic fluid level is fine and there doesn't apear to be any hydraulic leaks from visual inspection. The machine operates flawlessly when feeding material in, but the reverse doesn't move at all. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance yall.

I recently purchased a used vermeer 625 with a 25hp kohler engine. It's my first chipper and I'm still learning the ropes of troubleshooting. I have only ran it about 20 hours (the machine itself had about 3000hrs on it when I bought it) and the infeed works fine in forward, neutral, but when engaging it to reverse the infeed wheel doesn't turn at all. The autofeed was broken when I bought it, so I've been using it with auto-feed off. The reverse feed seemed to have stopped working today. Any ideas of where/what to check first? Hydraulic fluid level is fine and there doesn't apear to be any hydraulic leaks from visual inspection. The machine operates flawlessly when feeding material in, but the reverse doesn't move at all. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance yall.

I don't know about the BC 625 , but i have had the same problem with a 2011 BC1200XL.
The 1200 uses electric over hydraulic for the feed rolls. follow the lever from the panic bar . on the 1200 , it goes into a housing with MICRO SWITCHES . Crap builds up in the housing , jamming up the reverse MICRO switch . take the cover off , and blow out the saw dust and caked up crud. hope it helps ...

I followed the wires back last night and it did seem like some of the contacts were corroded a little. That was to be expected because theres so much salt in the air around here. Cleaned it up but couldnt fire it up to find out if it worked (it was dinner time and I have alot of close neighbors). Thanks for the advice I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help. It was a whole lot simpler than I thought it was. I thinking hydraulic trouble the whole time but it ended up being a mechanical problem. The control bar had worked itself looser than it should've been and there was just too much play in it. Fifteen minute fix that only took a drill and a wrench. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back