Vermeer question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cskyline

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1000 chipper will run for about 15 sec then I loose fuel sol output light on ECM I noticed my oil pressure output light was red but there were several green and red indication light on ECM was wondering if led turns green when ok ? Oil pressure is at 85lbs but light is red is this correct ?

What is the build date of this machine?

Where are you reading the oil pressure. Not all models have a oil pressure gauge.

Does the yellow info light, above the rear gate, blink when the machine shuts down?

The fuel sol I am referring is the one on the fuel pump I have an output light for the voltage to the pump. I have an oil pressure unit on engine block that has an input light on control unit. Yes my yellow light flashes all the time running . Mine is a 2008 model as well.

OK
The oil pressure and water temp senders are wired together, the reason for the Controller Oil/Water OK LED.

The red LED is indicating either the water temp or oil pressure is shutting down the engine.

Since the shutdown occurs when the engine is cold a best guess is the oil sender is faulty.

Faulty sender wiring would have the same effect.

The Controller Fuel LED is red because the fuel was cut off to prevent engine damage.

Except for the info light LED all Controller LEDS should be green.

The info light blinks only when a chipper or engine fault condition occurs.

Ok is the temp/ oil sensor digital or analog?
I have green fuel light but when I turn key to start the light turns off .
All sensors are old tech analog switches. The water and oil pressure sensors can be tested with an ohm meter.

Can you share the history on this issue? Is this a new to you chipper?

Assuming the wiring has not be tinkered with, if the fuel LED turns off there is likely an engine condition causing this

Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 0
I presume it's a diesel engine. If it is and it was mine, I'd be adding some biocide to the fuel tank as the new ULSD diesel fuel will always have a percentage of bio-diesel mixed in it and bio is notorious for growing microbial algae and microbial algae will destroy the fuel system, especially if it's common rail and electronically controlled but it will destroy an old style high pressure injection pump and injectors as well.

I know from experience. I had that issue with my diesel pickup truck and it cost me well over a thousand bucks to replace the failed parts and I did all the grunt work myself.

Far as a biocide is concerned, there are a lot of fuel additives out there for sale but most are NOT a biocide but rather a Cetane increaser.

I only use Power Service Bio-Kleen as it comes packaged with the required MSDS labeling and it's not cheap either but a little bit goes a long way. I dose all my diesel powered equipment with it plus I add it to my 500 gallon bulk tank.

I learned my lesson the hard way. if any additive states it's a biocide but don't have the required by Federal Law, MSDS label on it, it's not. Real simple. With Bio-Kleen there is no such thing as over dosing but under dosing can and will result in problems.

I also run 'Fuel polishing' pre filters between the fuel tanks and the first primary fuel filter. I use Racor fuel polishing fuel filters. They filter down to 5 microns. Most spin on primary filters only filter down to 10 microns and the Racor fuel polishing filters 100% separate out 100% of any water mixed in the fuel as well as any junk in the fuel tank and all that drops into the clear bottom bowl where you can easily see it and the bottom bowl(s) have a drain fitting on them to evacuate the gunk. Ever since I added the Racor's to my farm tractors and my diesel pickup, I've not had to change any primary filters and I have no fuel issues what so ever. They ain't cheap either but again, replacement of diesel injection parts isn't either.

Just my 2 cents. I depend especially on my farm tractors, I don't need them to be not operating when it's planting or harvest time.

Back