Vermeer sc 252 vs Toro (Dingo) STX dedicated stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a 30hp Beeline self propelled unit. The kind you wrestle the stump with, seems like it'll be nice for the hard to get smaller stumps. Got a real nice 5x8 covered trailer/heavy duty ramp with a Prolocker wheel chock in it and storage shelving. Hand tools hang on a rack down the side. 141 hours on the grinder, took the whole thing for $4,500. This is my entry into grinding, sub out the big stuff still.

I looked at getting a Toro and the other self propelled hydro options, but I got this grinder for $3,450, it was close and the whole package is mint condition, so that's where I started.

That Toro does look like the tits though for spinning around the stump and coming in at different angles as far as the self propelled hydro units go, can't beat skidsteer style turning for efficiency.

That's true, they are nimble but lack testicular fortitude. I wouldn't even think of stumpin with my 425tx.

The dingo grinder isn't very impressive overall, but definitely looks to be the king of the hill in terms of small grinders. The dingo maneuvers well and is fast, the price is good too. We have a small rayco at work and the thing is pretty useless, except for very tight spots. Overall, all these small grinders just lack power. A diesel sure would help.

A big self propelled is the way to go though. You can still access 95% of stumps and can just cruise right through them in a matter of minutes. A tracked Carlton would be my ideal choice, but a big rayco, vermeer, or bandit is just fine too. 30k to 50K is a lot of money to put down on a grinder though, but if you have the work, go for it.

The dingo grinder isn't very impressive overall, but definitely looks to be the king of the hill in terms of small grinders. The dingo maneuvers well and is fast, the price is good too. We have a small rayco at work and the thing is pretty useless, except for very tight spots. Overall, all these small grinders just lack power. A diesel sure would help.

A big self propelled is the way to go though. You can still access 95% of stumps and can just cruise right through them in a matter of minutes. A tracked Carlton would be my ideal choice, but a big rayco, vermeer, or bandit is just fine too. 30k to 50K is a lot of money to put down on a grinder though, but if you have the work, go for it.

Unimpressive huh? You guys haven't got the slightest clue, but, as they say, ignorance is bliss.:laugh:

You can't carry the big self propelled grinder and mini/grapple on the same trailer....most stumps are in the 30" range but this can easily do 60" stumps if sharp......

Spend all your dough on the stumpers while I got a massive crane, huge bucket, .....ahhh never mind...

All I know is I knock the big td, go have a cup of coffee, watch tv in my cave and make calls ...whatever....come back in a short amount of time and all the brush is swallowed up, all the wood is loaded....AND the stump is DONE (way faster than the vid you all are watching). Customers are blown away by this little machine. We use it virtually every day.

Spend 30 to 50 k on a grinder lol when everybody and their mom's are doing stumps now? Buy a huge bomber wood eating used grinder in good shape and this little Rolex watch of a grinder (to accompany your mini) and magic happens.:popcorn:

Haha, you (TV) just blow up every time someone doesn't agree with your stance. If you're happy, good for you, but don't start talking trash when others disagree or don't see what you are preaching. The chest pounding doesn't bring anything to the forum.

Look at the established companies, almost all of them have large self-propelled grinders. The dingo would be a great complement to one, but leave it at home when you have anything over 10" or so IMO.

Haha, you (TV) just blow up every time someone doesn't agree with your stance. If you're happy, good for you, but don't start talking trash when others disagree or don't see what you are preaching. The chest pounding doesn't bring anything to the forum.

And where is the "blow up" pickle man? Where is the chest pounding? The end of your post says IMO which means "in my opinion". Just because I don't agree with your opinion (and I think you got ya head stuck up ya ascs) doesn't mean you gonna stop me from giving my opinion....does it son? Stick around....mebee you learn sompin.:wink2:

I used a Toro Dingo the other day and I was not impressed so I'm going to side with the nay sayers. Slow and lack of power is the word for it. Those videos pretty much show you the limit of the cut. The cutter grabs and stalls very easily if you do not take it real slow and even then the machine tended to walk because of the light weight. What I did like (probably the only thing) was the maneuverability (I had a customer with a very difficult to access location) which is why I rented it, though the tracks do tear up the grass on turns as any skid steer will. Oddly the steering through the control yoke was backwards- turn the yoke to the right and the machine goes to the left. :msp_confused: I was also not able to move the machine without disengaging the cutter wheel- something that didn't look like the case in those videos. I also noticed a problem with stability due to the short track length when I repositioned the machine and let it climb on a pile of some chips. The incline was enough to tip the machine backwards considerably when the cutter was raised making me think that if the conditions were right it could tip over onto the operator.

I really did give this machine the benefit of doubt even though my gut told me it was a Toro. Their website indicates it's made for the rental market which makes me think some things were sacrificed to make it easier and safer for the HO to use at the cost of production. My opinion has been that rental yards sell time so the longer it takes you the more money they make.:msp_wink:

I used a Toro Dingo the other day and I was not impressed so I'm going to side with the nay sayers. Slow and lack of power is the word for it. Those videos pretty much show you the limit of the cut. The cutter grabs and stalls very easily if you do not take it real slow and even then the machine tended to walk because of the light weight. What I did like (probably the only thing) was the maneuverability (I had a customer with a very difficult to access location) which is why I rented it, though the tracks do tear up the grass on turns as any skid steer will. Oddly the steering through the control yoke was backwards- turn the yoke to the right and the machine goes to the left. :msp_confused: I was also not able to move the machine without disengaging the cutter wheel- something that didn't look like the case in those videos. I also noticed a problem with stability due to the short track length when I repositioned the machine and let it climb on a pile of some chips. The incline was enough to tip the machine backwards considerably when the cutter was raised making me think that if the conditions were right it could tip over onto the operator.

I really did give this machine the benefit of doubt even though my gut told me it was a Toro. Their website indicates it's made for the rental market which makes me think some things were sacrificed to make it easier and safer for the HO to use at the cost of production. My opinion has been that rental yards sell time so the longer it takes you the more money they make.:msp_wink:

Sounds like you got a dull machine with bass ackward controls and you haven't got a good enough machine nor the time behind it to get finesse Groucho.

I stated all the assets earlier so I won't be redundant. Having said that with all the 40 plus years of high level successful operation one gets to recognize a real gem that occassionally comes along. Climbed with manilla...got nylon, climbed with big saws, along comes climbing chainsaws, climbed with schit climbing saws....along comes German Stihl's

Chuck and duck, self feeders....camming deviced lanyards....bollards.....big shot.....cube....wraptor.....crane td's....etc.etc.

This little grinder, when sharp and used by a very experienced op....is a gem in the rough. Couple of curmugeons, one that just says "use the big self propelled grinders all the time":poke: and the other one that got a beat machine are not legitimate witnesses.

Forget bout the half ascs videos, and the rental yards. Get a demo from a DEALER and use it sharp for a couple of days. Get yourself a easy on and off trailer with it to see the true value in the handiness of this little gem and....

You will make tons of bucks (that be the real test ...No?) like we are. It is a complete no brainer. There is NO down side here. I ain't sellin these things.

Unimpressive huh? You guys haven't got the slightest clue, but, as they say, ignorance is bliss.:laugh:

You can't carry the big self propelled grinder and mini/grapple on the same trailer....most stumps are in the 30" range but this can easily do 60" stumps if sharp......

Spend all your dough on the stumpers while I got a massive crane, huge bucket, .....ahhh never mind...

All I know is I knock the big td, go have a cup of coffee, watch tv in my cave and make calls ...whatever....come back in a short amount of time and all the brush is swallowed up, all the wood is loaded
....AND the stump is DONE (way faster than the vid you all are watching). Customers are blown away by this little machine. We use it virtually every day.

Spend 30 to 50 k on a grinder lol when everybody and their mom's are doing stumps now? Buy a huge bomber wood eating used grinder in good shape and this little Rolex watch of a grinder (to accompany your mini) and magic happens.:popcorn:

Chest pounding?

Oh ya, I'm learning something everyday. I'm not here for the BS, but real life information and knowledge. Hope you feel the same way.

Chest pounding?

Oh ya, I'm learning something everyday. I'm not here for the BS, but real life information and knowledge. Hope you feel the same way.

No chest pounding, just truth. With highlighted quote just responding to the obvious prioritizing of investments.

If you're not here for the bs, why you come on a thread about small grinders, and a comparo of just 2 at that, and go off on big self propelled units.

Your opinion is there is no need for small grinders like your small one? The whole point of my thread is to point out why this is a better unit than the type you have.

More so, when the job is done, the last thing I want to do is go back with a truck and get the stumper. Worse yet is to have to go back and get the trailer and take a big stumper on and off on a trailer dedicated to just that.

If you got just 2 drivers this is the way to go on most days with a td or 2. If you got a yard of rake leaners (that have a dl) then maybe you are onto something. But your profits all go to payroll. If you are out doing a golf course full of stumps then you might not need a small unit granted.....but who does that every day.

No chest pounding, just truth. With highlighted quote just responding to the obvious prioritizing of investments.

If you're not here for the bs, why you come on a thread about small grinders, and a comparo of just 2 at that, and go off on big self propelled units.

Your opinion is there is no need for small grinders like your small one? The whole point of my thread is to point out why this is a better unit than the type you have.

More so, when the job is done, the last thing I want to do is go back with a truck and get the stumper. Worse yet is to have to go back and get the trailer and take a big stumper on and off on a trailer dedicated to just that.

If you got just 2 drivers this is the way to go on most days with a td or 2. If you got a yard of rake leaners (that have a dl) then maybe you are onto something. But your profits all go to payroll. If you are out doing a golf course full of stumps then you might not need a small unit granted.....but who does that every day.

Hey TV, why don't you go back and read where I said it is the king of hill in terms of small grinders.

My point with the large self-propelled grinders is that they can do almost any stump and are a lot more efficient.

As for the trailer comment, what's wrong with a 10k equipment trailer, should handle a mini and a large grinder no problem.

My boss lets the stumps build up and then has someone go out and grind for a day in a close proximity to each other. Works well for the most part.

Hey TV, why don't you go back and read where I said it is the king of hill in terms of small grinders.

My point with the large self-propelled grinders is that they can do almost any stump and are a lot more efficient.

As for the trailer comment, what's wrong with a 10k equipment trailer, should handle a mini and a large grinder no problem.

My boss lets the stumps build up and then has someone go out and grind for a day in a close proximity to each other. Works well for the most part.

You're an employee, probably relatively new to the biz. Answers all my questions. Good luck to ya.

Efficiency in one aspect doesn’t always mean efficiency overall. For that matter, faster isn’t always efficient. To be effective, you need to see what the optimum set up is for any given operation. The toro might take twice as long on a stump and yet still be twice as smart.

I used to let stumps build when I would rent a stumper for long weekends. I'm not interested in that anymore. It's not the end of the world to have a few strays to fit in, but it's not as great as it sounded. I'll stump as I go for the most part for now on.

Did you use this new STX or the dingo with an attachment? It sounds like you did but kind of like you didn't ??? I checked one out last month but didn't get to run it, the controls were on the left side and the cutter head on the left too, seemed very awkward! You'd think they would lean to making right hand controls :msp_mellow: I'll reserve judgement until I can run one, this video doesn't make it look good either though Toro STX 26 Stump Grinder - YouTube :laugh:

Sorry, it was the STX-26. Only had a few hours on it and the teeth were sharp. Have no idea what's up with the steering working backwards. Steer and transport "yoke" is in the center, cutter joystick on the right. Moving the machine shuts down the cutter.

Did you use this new STX or the dingo with an attachment? It sounds like you did but kind of like you didn't ??? I checked one out last month but didn't get to run it, the controls were on the left side and the cutter head on the left too, seemed very awkward! You'd think they would lean to making right hand controls :msp_mellow: I'll reserve judgement until I can run one, this video doesn't make it look good either though Toro STX 26 Stump Grinder - YouTube :laugh:

cutter head is offset left to view the stump better

biggest :laugh:is how many meat heads (and college kids) are wandering around in an experienced tree climber forum.:buttkick: lol

Guess if you got a puter and can type an opinion.....you an expert airborist :jester:

This place is goin downhill fast.

Sorry, it was the STX-26. Only had a few hours on it and the teeth were sharp. Have no idea what's up with the steering working backwards. Steer and transport "yoke" is in the center, cutter joystick on the right. Moving the machine shuts down the cutter.

release the button on top of the joystick and no flow to the cutter.

Latest posts

Back