Vermeer sc 252 vs Toro (Dingo) STX dedicated stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly, probably, yeah.

you can stop a chainsaw grinder in a loop of sawchain
you can stop a gas wood drill drilling for eyebolts
you can stop any chainsaw in any cut
you can stop and hunderd hp diesel stumper in a stump

anybody get the point?

just keep me off spruce stumps

Possibly, probably, yeah.

The only operator error is trying to take too heavy a cut when you first use it because you are used to a bigger machine. Believe me, that video shows all its capable of. Any heavier than that and you WILL stall the cutter. And, if you have experience with other machines it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to get the hang of using it. As much as I hate to say it, it was designed to be as simple as possible for home owners to rent. If its advantages like size, maneuverability and price outweigh its performance for you (or its performance is fine for the work you do) then I suppose it's a great machine.

Just my opinion...

Last edited:
The only operator error is trying to take too heavy a cut when you first use it because you are used to a bigger machine. Believe me, that video shows all its capable of. Any heavier than that and you WILL stall the cutter. And, if you have experience with other machines it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to get the hang of using it. As much as I hate to say it, it was designed to be as simple as possible for home owners to rent. If its advantages like size, maneuverability and price outweigh its performance for you (or its performance is fine for the work you do) then I suppose it's a great machine.

Just my opinion...

As they say in the Marine Corps....opinions (yours) are like ascswholes....everybody's (you'se) got one ....and they (yours) all stink

We ground out maybe a hundred stumps in the couple of months we have had this machine and I got a Verm. 665 with a remote and a brand new rebuilt motor on it and sharp knives as always sitting down in my lot I coulda gone for on many of em....

We love this machine and are way more impressed with it than we thought we would be. You another college kid doing tree work on the side Groucho? Maybe the novice forum is for you.

Yesterday we did a 40 plus inch stump that had 2 full size bricks embedded in 2 different buttress roots. We worked all around the bricks and did the stump to the ho's satisfaction in a little over half an hour for 200 clams. This thing is the real deal and nobody that has put a post on this thread or any thread in the history of this forum or any forum has any more "experienced tree man" experience than I do.

cutter head is offset left to view the stump better

biggest :laugh:is how many meat heads (and college kids) are wandering around in an experienced tree climber forum.:buttkick: lol

Guess if you got a puter and can type an opinion.....you an expert airborist :jester:

This place is goin downhill fast.

Not sure if I should be offended or not, depends which one you're calling me. This is an experienced forum only?:monkey:

I got nothing against a smaller machine , my super jr. does fine for me on all size stumps but I could see that this thing might be easier to use if it works good.

Not sure if I should be offended or not, depends which one you're calling me. This is an experienced forum only?:monkey:

I got nothing against a smaller machine , my super jr. does fine for me on all size stumps but I could see that this thing might be easier to use if it works good.

Don't question the dingo's ability and you wouldn't have any problems....

We are talking about grinders though in the tree climbing forum; so maybe this should be moved the large equipment section.....there are some experienced stump guys that visit there....but if you have ground over hundred stumps or whatever amount you want, you pretty much know what stump grinding entails.

Efficiency in one aspect doesn’t always mean efficiency overall. For that matter, faster isn’t always efficient. To be effective, you need to see what the optimum set up is for any given operation. The toro might take twice as long on a stump and yet still be twice as smart.

I used to let stumps build when I would rent a stumper for long weekends. I'm not interested in that anymore. It's not the end of the world to have a few strays to fit in, but it's not as great as it sounded. I'll stump as I go for the most part for now on.

I hear ya, everyone has there own opinion; so I stated mine and got flamed from TV for questioning his dingo. Tree work is very individualistic in terms of style, performance and thinking. There is no one way to do a lot of the work. So I find it degrading to see people get shot down for stating an opinion different than others views.

(as

We are talking about grinders though in the tree climbing forum; so maybe this should be moved the large equipment section.....there are some experienced stump guys that visit there

We are talking about stump grinders USED by experienced arborists (as opposed to just stump grinding services)

....but if you have ground over hundred stumps or whatever amount you want, you pretty much know what stump grinding entails.

We (my gm) has ground a hundred stumps with THIS machine in a couple of months.

Listen....your feelings are hurt, Todpm's are hurt, Grouchy's feelings are hurt and......

My feelings are hurt.

I started this thread to give a little news....not lookin for any controversy. Really don't see why there is any controversy. Any experienced tree guy that does a lot of work knows that sometimes there are stumps that a big machine just flat out can't get to. Do you.....

Sub it out? Rent a small unit? Give up the job to another service? No, eventually you buy a 262 or some other stumblebumb rattletrap. This is the alternative, and in the process we find out, just like if you leave home the ms 880 and it is easier to finish the job with the 460 going both ways than going back and getting the big one....this machine we find is capable of also doing many large stumps if a tree is not being planted right in the old trees stump space. Incredible at chasing surface roots too.

I am offended because you either

have no clue just how much experience (over 40 years) I have or no clue how damn good I am at all the tree work I do (I am here to tell you...I am REAL good at what I do). I have done millions of dollars of tree work with a 2 man crew over the years working for high end clients, historic properties, sometimes celebrity clients etc etc..

I could be lying
I could be embellishing or bull####ting
I could have no clue or comparison as to what I am talking about....
You know way more than I do?????

Whatever the reason for the conflict....hey....good for the post count.:biggrin: you can stick your heads where the sun don't shine (if it not already there lol) :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back