Vermeer SC252 pulls and stalls.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark.westchester

Reaction score
Just purchased a used sc252 we replaced the clutch and main vertical pin/bushings. While testing we found it would on occasion bite, pull forward into the stump and stop the disk and engine. It came with new yellowjacket teeth. We have a new belt on order.

I don't remember this condition from a rental unit two years ago.

Could the RPM's be low? Any ideas on what we need to check for next?

Check the chain tension on the drive wheel. Slack in it can cause the machine to to pull forward when it bites into the stump. Loosen the four bolts on the hydraulic pump behind the wheel and tighten the screw pushing the pump forward. It should help.

How far into the stump are you starting your cut? Most often when I had a machine climb and stall out I was trying to cut in a larger arc than the tooth and pocket setup will allow.

We were in testing mode since it is a new purchase. It was intermittent, sometimes it would putt at the beginning of a sweep and sometimes in the middle. There has not been a pattern. Right now I have a new drive belt going on the machine to replace the old worn out one. That may also solve the problem. We are also going to check disk RPM's to make sure they are in the correct range.

The belt would make sense. My 252 wheel will lose RPM when the final drive belt slips. unless someone is staring at the wheel the operator wouldn't notice it until it completely stops.
A good rule of thumb for me was to check belt tension at 1,5, and 10 Hrs. after replacing belts.

Yuck, dealing with tree equipment in a golf course setting is miserable to say the least. Oh, wait. Maybe Matthew had something to do with that.

Update: We have the new belt but have only had rain so we haven't been out to test it yet. Hopefully the new belt and verify the RPM's will do the trick. Also, watching several videos have been helpful. I plan on being the one to do testing on a large difficult stump just to get a feel for timing.

Latest posts

Back