Vermeere BC1400XL chipping problem....HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cost savings? I'll have mine sharpened next week at a cost of $7/inch each side. New is over 200 dollars. Maybe this is where your problem starts from. Try new blades and see if the extra edge length helps.

Just got back. I asked the shop guys about your issue, said not easy to diagnose without seeing the problem.

Also, major difference in costs but similar to what you're claiming.

Just got my blades sharpened. Total cost $75.75 for 36 inches sharpened (4 sides, 9 inches each side), $2.10/inch. Cost for new set of blades, new kit including bolts, $128 so by putting new blades on you might be saving some time and time is money.

Don't know where I got my numbers for costs originally.:confused:

Just got back. I asked the shop guys about your issue, said not easy to diagnose without seeing the problem.

Also, major difference in costs but similar to what you're claiming.

Just got my blades sharpened. Total cost $75.75 for 36 inches sharpened (4 sides, 9 inches each side), $2.10/inch. Cost for new set of blades, new kit including bolts, $128 so by putting new blades on you might be saving some time and time is money.

Don't know where I got my numbers for costs originally.:confused:

Does this mean you are going to stop sharpening your blades?

No, I'll still sharpen them. Actually, I only get maybe three sharpenings out of them due to lots of non wooden things going in the chipper like chains, skrenches, rocks and other debris that chunk the edges pretty bad. I've had blades denied due to excessive chunks. If I can buy for 128, a new sharpened edge, essentially new blades, will cost me less than new.

I have a similar dilemma with my stump grinder teeth. Do I sharpen them or do I discard and buy new every time? Each tooth, $4, full set of lefts, rights and straights, $32. Grind a number of stumps and they're paid for and no down time sharpening or do I take the time? Always an issue for me. I eventually sharpen when I have some slow time.

Anyway, how has the chipper run since the diagnosis of the twin filters now running fuel?

No, I'll still sharpen them. Actually, I only get maybe three sharpenings out of them due to lots of non wooden things going in the chipper like chains, skrenches, rocks and other debris that chunk the edges pretty bad. I've had blades denied due to excessive chunks. If I can buy for 128, a new sharpened edge, essentially new blades, will cost me less than new.

I have a similar dilemma with my stump grinder teeth. Do I sharpen them or do I discard and buy new every time? Each tooth, $4, full set of lefts, rights and straights, $32. Grind a number of stumps and they're paid for and no down time sharpening or do I take the time? Always an issue for me. I eventually sharpen when I have some slow time.

Anyway, how has the chipper run since the diagnosis of the twin filters now running fuel?

The chipper is better than before but not at 100%. I will try to pick up a fuel pump this week. I was hoping for more trash in the lines that would pass through and be done but that kind of luck is rare for me. I am running out of things to replace so after 4 or 500 more dollars it should be good as new! :rock:

Here's a place to look as far as the fuel lines;

Couple of months ago, I finally changed the fuel filter on my bc1000, 300 hours. What made me change it was as it idled, it stalled out. On full speed, no problems. Changed out the filter and all kinds of junk in it so I assumed the filter had don it's job and now was full on clogged.

Jump to today. 20 hours on the new filter and the chipper stalled. Maybe water in the filter? Drained it from the petcock at the bottom and all kinds of fine fine wood dust coming out. How did it get in?

Turns out, the cap for the fuel tank, if it's ever so slightly loose and not tightened down snug, can let wood dust particles in the tank. Now I have to get the tank removed and flushed. From what I see, not so easy on a bc1000. Maybe that's where the junk in your lines originated from.

Flip your cutter bar. It is dull. You will have to take off the passenger wheel to get to it. I've owned one of these chippers since new in 2005

Me?
No, just stalls. Really clogged filter. Fuel is half tank and the filter has fuel in it. It runs for a couple of minutes and dies as it idles, runs fine at high RPM.

Well find out tomorrow where the problem lies. :omg:

Took it to the dealership. They removed the tank, dumped and flushed the tank and somehow a handful of plastic, black plastic shavings were in the tank, clogged the sending unit, lines and the filter.

My assumption? It happened at the factory when maybe they drilled in the holes for the sending unit and other hookups and didn't clean out the tank before continuing with assembly.

Gotta talk to some higher ups at Vermeer.

Glad your problem is fixed. I didn't pick up a fuel pump this week so I may try blowing out the lines and checking the tank this weekend. Bucket truck and skid loader decided it was time for a little attention. Always something to fix!

Back