Vermont woodstoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, they have made a few design changes to the present-day version of this stove, and I imagine this has been for the better. On the new version as your picture shows,
(1) there is no lower side intake for convection air below the loading door.
(2) the convection air exhaust at the top is one continuous slot.
(3) the removable hot plate on top is much larger.
(4) the front door is a single piece.
(5) hardware controls are different.

However, it would appear that not much else has changed. The legs are stronger than they look. I see where you were concerned about that.

Also, be aware that the secret to this stove's success and efficiency is successful secondary combustion in that top chamber, all made possible by a heavy block off damper plate near the top rear that is pivoted using a mechanism that you control just above the side loading door. That should be closed after the flue temp reaches about 400 F or so. It is not closed automatically, nor is it opened automatically. When closed, the secondary exhaust gas temp will go right up. I find that 1000 to 1200 F is ideal.

Prior to starting the fire and whenever you open the loading door to add fuel, you must open that block off plate to send exhaust through the primary flue. Otherwise, you will get a puff of smoke in the house. After awhile, this becomes routine, but it takes a bit of getting used to.

This stove has a double-wall back, and it is the inside wall that I eventually had to replace after 21 years. The flue collar lasted 22 years. To me, replacing these parts was trivial. The swiveling shaker grate mechanism above the ash pan operates flawlessly today and I don't even see signs of wear. How they did that I will never know--pure quality design I guess.

I seldom rely on this stove burning longer than 9 hours on a single load. It can be done, but I prefer to add fuel every six hours and to not throttle it down. You will eventually find an ideal air intake setting for your installation and draft conditions. The air intake control flexibility is huge.

As with many stoves, mixed hardwoods provide the best fires. I burn ash, oak, elm, maple, mulberry, locust, and a few others. Combinations always work the best rather than just one species. Mixing different sized logs also works better--the smaller ones help the big ones stay hot. When reloading, I try to throw in three or four logs rather than just one. This stove loves that procedure, and that's another reason why I nicknamed it "Jaws".
Thank you so much for the information, Most all the wood will be oak. For some reason the pic don't show all the hardware. there is a wood piece that screws in the metal. It will need to burn all night which will be about 8 to nine 9 hours. I will burn other hardwoods when needed but right now it will see red oak for three or four winters. Rep coming you're way when it lets me, Thanks again.

I have a very small dutchwest and love it! It looks identical to the one you are talking about but smaller. The manual says it will take 19" pieces of wood but 16" is more realistic if you have any coals in there. You will love the cat feature when you figure it out. It is not that hard. Mine does not have the super cool shaker grate. The glass front is awesome! Every morning when I empty the ash (I have to do this every day? Maybe the small stove is less efficient? Whatever not a big deal.) I take some wet newspaper to the glass and then a dry newspaper. It is easy and only takes a min. if you don't let everything build up on it for days. You will love it! I bought mine used last year so I have only had it one year so I can not comment on the longevity but everything on it still looks great so far.

Nate

I have a very small dutchwest and love it! It looks identical to the one you are talking about but smaller. The manual says it will take 19" pieces of wood but 16" is more realistic if you have any coals in there. You will love the cat feature when you figure it out. It is not that hard. Mine does not have the super cool shaker grate. The glass front is awesome! Every morning when I empty the ash (I have to do this every day? Maybe the small stove is less efficient? Whatever not a big deal.) I take some wet newspaper to the glass and then a dry newspaper. It is easy and only takes a min. if you don't let everything build up on it for days. You will love it! I bought mine used last year so I have only had it one year so I can not comment on the longevity but everything on it still looks great so far.

Nate
Good to know, Thanks

we have the little Tribute from Hearthstone and love it. we decided on it because: surface temps are lower than plate or cast i.e. safer for kids and pets, only need supplemental heat so bought the little guy, and the admiral overuled my pick (jotul) cause its such a dang cute stove with a huge window for it's size. We feed the little stove every 3 to 4 hours and it will heat half the house comfortably, so when another icestorm hits we'll all be comfy...
Cheers! alain:cheers:
ps gone on holidays in 4 hours for 3 weeks....

I have an important question for you guys, My pipe is currently 6 inch and the stove calls for 8 inch. The salesman said the make a reducer so is the 6 inch going to work or am i going to have to get new pipe. The pipe i have is not that old.

salesman says.....hmmmmm

I'd read the instructions from the stove manufacturer and stick to it... sure it has been done on occasion and sometimes works well but would not put my money on it, besides 6" is so standard you won't have any trouble selling it!
anyway careful on that on, it seems like a can of worms to me! stay safe.
cheers! alain:cheers:

I have an important question for you guys, My pipe is currently 6 inch and the stove calls for 8 inch. The salesman said the make a reducer so is the 6 inch going to work or am i going to have to get new pipe. The pipe i have is not that old.

In general they say that you should'nt reduce down, but going up is ok i.e it's ok to go from a 6" stove pipe opening on the stove into 8" stove run, but not the other way around.

It can be done though, it just depends on how much draft you have with your existing 6" pipe and that depends on how long the total pipe run is (more pipe=stronger draft, but you CAN have too much draft too.......) and how many (if any) bends (i.e 45 or 90 degree elbows) you have in your stove pipe run.

Is the dealer going to install it for you, and are you going to do it yourself? If they do it, they can analyze your existing setup and let you know if they think it will work. If you're going to do it yourself, I'd suggest checking in on the forums at ********** There are some very knowledgeable folks there and I'm sure several that have your stove who could offer some good advice based on their own installations.

Each stove and installation is different, but no doubt having the right amount of draft (not too much or not too little) is very important to having a happy and efficient wood stove.

Good luck!

NP

My in laws have the Dutchwest, but not as big as the one you have mentioned. Theirs is 18" and up to 1200 sq ft. They have had it 3 years now
and really like it but it is too small for their house, but they got a sweet deal on it, naturally they bought it. It is a good stove and they are really happy with it, side door for loading is really nice. They burned 2.5 cord last year, and we had a aweful December and January. And they have 8" pipe on it. They just wish it was bigger.:cheers:

Well here she is, I finally got time to go get it and set it up. Took four strong men to get it in the house. That thing was heavy. Made a small fire in it to season the cast iron.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was the old stove. It is 25 years old and has a leak somewhere.

attachment.php

the wifey says, take newspaper get it damp rub it in the soot or ashes and then rub the window. sounds wierd but they have a cleaning business and they would know. Then wipe it down with windex or something of the like.
Congrats on the stove she's a beuty, keep you nice and warm!!!!!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

the wifey says, take newspaper get it damp rub it in the soot or ashes and then rub the window. sounds wierd but they have a cleaning business and they would know. Then wipe it down with windex or something of the like.
Congrats on the stove she's a beuty, keep you nice and warm!!!!!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Thanks i'll try that. I hope it works as good as the old one.

Hey SS those things are a "ton" of fun to move arn't they?! :dizzy:
BTW you are going to love that side door for loading the wood into!! very handy option

Last edited:
Hey SS those things are a "ton" of fun to move arn't they?! :dizzy:
Oh man, There was four of us. Three of them were big dudes. I don't mean fat either. I was a weakling but had to help. We were straining big time. Think everybody was wore out after the install. I even took both doors and the grate off. It's supposed to weigh 641 pounds and it felt like 2000 pounds.lol

You should take a look at jotul line of stoves they boast the largest capacity stove on the market.I installed the rockland insert last year and that ran great spent no money on oil that and that felt even better! I have 2000sq cape and live in wells,me

Thanks for all the replys, I will have to experiment with the glass when it's fired up. Never had one with a glass, always just a circulator like my old one. I really hope these new ones with the catalyst use less wood. The only thing i've found that i don't like about the stove is the handle system. It uses one handle to open all the doors. The problem is it's too small and don't go up in the door opener very far. Also a sloppy fit. The handle comes out easy when you try to open a door. I burned myself already trying to hold it in while i turned it.

did you get the porcilin handle or the wood? because the porcilin one broke the first time it was dropped on the hearth.. oops

Thanks for all the replys, I will have to experiment with the glass when it's fired up. Never had one with a glass, always just a circulator like my old one. I really hope these new ones with the catalyst use less wood. The only thing i've found that i don't like about the stove is the handle system. It uses one handle to open all the doors. The problem is it's too small and don't go up in the door opener very far. Also a sloppy fit. The handle comes out easy when you try to open a door. I burned myself already trying to hold it in while i turned it.
Note the brass handles that I show in my Pic of the old Federal 288. It should have been a loose fit, but not a really sloppy fit. Also, It appears that my brass handles are bigger. The brass portion will actually unscrew completely for cleaning and polishing. And, it is held tight with a separate set screw after being screwed in tight.

I would ask the seller about this. If they have nothing to offer, consider making a hardwooden extension for them (say 3" or 4") that could be held in place with a couple of set screws or pinned.

Back