Vertical/Horizontal with some speed, suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a question for you then: Why would you want your wood to season in log form when it obviously (by your admission) takes much more effort to process it later?

My approach is to process as soon as possible after dropping it and then stacking (or even piling) it to season. It seasons faster, is easier to process, and is available for sale immediately after processing!

I would agree that if you prefer to work harder by seasoning it in log form and then trying to process it, you will have to use other methods and equipment. In my case, I would rather put my investment $$$ and my money into working smarter, rather than working harder.

no.1, I don't do this for a living #2 I cant burn all 25 cords I cut and haul in in at one time. #3 It keeps longer in log form. That will last me 4 or 5 winters and I get ready for another 4 or 5 years worth when I'm down to 1 winters worth laying in the field. My buzz saw save's hours of run time on my saw's and chains, and cuts seasoned wood much easier. Sounds kind of dumb don't it?:)

Not dumb... just different. My partners and I go through around 15 cords per year and sell quite a few more, so we process ASAP. Keep doing what works for you!!!

I like the way you did your log lift, thats IDENTICAL to the way I wanted to do mine. Your log splitter model there isn't that bad looking ;)

what to do...

It's all up in the air and I'm indecisive. Quick question, what is the huge difference between the supersplitter heavy duty model and the special edition. I've been looking at those splitters as well and for the life of me can't figure out how 3 more hp is over $1200 more. It has gear reduction? I need a further explination. Does this mean it might handle elm, gum and other stringy cross/twisted grains. Im still in my prime so I think I can handle the speed of the splitter. If I'm going to drop some change on one I want it to be worth it. Anybody out there with experience with one get back with me. I've not heard one thing on the special edition. Oh, I appreciate the feedback on the vertical splitters. It's hard to find anything on the internet or anyone that has experience with manual labor anymore.

super split

So is the 2:1 gear reduction kind of like a 2 stage pump? If I'm spending 4 grand I want to know something about it. Not many resources on firewood here in the south.

Latest posts

Back