Very Small Blue Spruce....dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizz

Reaction score
I have 3 very small blue spruce, planted at various spots in the yard. I believe they were ordered in the mail (taking care of them for my parents...)--and this is the first year/summer that they have been planted. ....so at this point they are about as thick as a thick pencil...and probably not more than 10-15 inches in height.

They all get at least 2 gallons of water per day. ...One of them gets quite a bit more, as it is where I fill the cans.

That one looks the best...

One of the other three looks 'alright', but it doesn't have as nice of a color.

The third one, which gets exactly the same amount of water as the second--appears to be almost dead. ...Very brown needles, and the very few amount of needles that remain are a very light green color.

My question is--is there anything I can do to save this tree? ...Recently to try and help it...there was mulch placed around the tree (I believe it may have been replanted...my father did it)...as the 'soil' around the tree is very sandy.

Could it be that its not getting ENOUGH water? ...Too much? (I don't think its this--as the very first tree--that gets the MOST water looks the best..)... The soil? ...

Should it be/can it be replanted in another area, maybe until its a bit older--and then replant it in the original spot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

p.s. would a pic help?

Thanks!

"lil blue" is toast, yank that puppy out of the ground & replace it. They are cheap, don't mail order find one locally.

"lil blue" brother the sickly beat up one is a real poor plant. Lost it's central leader and the color (natural variation) is undesirable for a Blue Spruce. The color you see is the color you'll have. Best to yank that one too, or re-plant it elsewhere.

Finally after all that good news, check your planting depth, it's easy to put small saplings too deep in the ground if you're not careful.

They all get at least 2 gallons of water per day. ...One of them gets quite a bit more, as it is where I fill the cans.

2 gallons a day is too much for spruces. In their native habitat they grow in sandy loam soil, high in organic matter. That much water will deplete oxygen levels inhibiting root development and possibly allowing water mold soil pathogens like phythopthora and/or pithium to degenerate the roots. water once or twice a week in absence of natural rainfall and adjusted for very high air temps.

The first tree looks ok. Quit wasting your time and snatch the rest of those trees out of the ground. Buy at least 3 gallon container Blue Spruces. I have one in my front foundation and another in the back yard tree line. I watered them the first two years in the summer because we had back to back droughts. This summer we have had rain just about every day. They are doing fine. Just slow growing. Good luck. Follow above advice and buy some more trees.

Latest posts

Back