Vevor chainsaw sharpener question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its for centering the vise under the grinding wheel, to get similar Left and Right cutters.

EDIT: It is not specifically for grinding the depth gauges, but it does not hurt.

Google and download a PDF version of the Oregon 511A grinder (best version out there), and read / skim through the 511A ‘Tips and Tricks’ thread.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/511a-grinder-improvements-tweaks.197073/
Philbert

I’ll add this, because it’s often the next question:

Center Grinding Wheel

Your grinder has instructions for centering the grinding wheels over the chain vise in the instruction manual (a PDF version may be available on line if you don’t have this). This needs to be checked, periodically, as the wheels wear, and change diameter, or if you change wheels.

The other thing is that these are semi-precision machines that sometimes require compensation. My procedure (takes longer to read than to do!):

- grind all the cutters on one side (say, the Left cutters);

- grind one, ‘test cutter’ on the other (Right) side;

IMG_5369.jpeg

- compare this test cutter, back-to-back, with one cutter from the other side, and adjust grinder settings (chain stop, wheel depth, etc.) as needed.

- grind the rest of the cutters.

This becomes ‘automatic’ to me. I do my Left cutters first, back off the chain stop 1/4 to 1/2 turn, lower my grinder head stop the same, and I am usually right on.

Philbert

Actually I think I found the answer and what that screw is for is to put pressure on the inside of the clamping vise due to different gauge thicknesses of drivelinks and it helps in the clamping of the arm on the outside. So thanks I don't think I'll need any other replies to my question I feel that this is probably the answer I saw this on youtube.
IMG_6681.jpeg
IMG_6680.jpeg

The variation due to wheel diameter will greatly exceed any due to chain gauge differences.
Philbert

Latest posts

Back