Video of me cutting down a massive pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work but instead of running the heading "Video of me cutting down a massive pine" you should have said "Video of me cutting down a largish pine" ;)

Not so smart

I am glad it worked for you and the hard hat has been covered but that was not the biggest concern here. You fell a large tree near high voltage and did not have back-up planned. This is how nightmares happen. I would recommend
more than a wedge here a good rope pulled tight by either come along or truck away from the voltage is elementary. I am sorry but I have seen many loggers killed by this one mistake. Anyway it is fun to fall a big tree and I am not trying to spoil anyone's fun just merely explicating the hazard of doing what you done.

Nice job. where in GA is this? Looks like dawsonville/dahlonega/maybe farther up?

460 is a great saw. I had one. upgraded to a 066 MAGNUM with dual port. 100CC 7.8HP. :clap:

Not even close dude....Monroe Co.

Good work but instead of running the heading "Video of me cutting down a massive pine" you should have said "Video of me cutting down a largish pine" ;)

:p Now i can understand you blokes have some big trees on your island but by southeastern US standards, that was indeed a massive pine.

Last edited:
Not too shabby... 'cept I woulda wore a hardhat. Especially when drivin' wedges in a dead/diseased tree. Death from above mang!

Gary

:clap:Nice vid thanks for sharing it. I agree on the hard hat. It will do wonders for that unseen 5-7# branch. Makes quite a clang when it bounces of your brim.

Another hint keep your ax close I hate turning my back on a tree close to going over.

Good to see you boys are keeping things in line. I started a thread in the tree care videos section y'all might like. Check it out.

Oh, and I agree with you guys. Also, to the OP: don't ever go into falling a tree that pushes your ability without your equipment totally dialed. A dull chain in a tree that is using all of your bar to cut is a bad deal. Steals your attention and makes you spend more time under an unsafe tree. Still looked a heck of a lot better than lots of falls I've seen.

Last edited:
fwiw tek9tim, that chain was fresh off the sharpener.

Oh, sorry. You said something about it missing a cutter and having tall rakers, so that's what triggered my comment. Cut some wood!

And my comment about watching my videos was directed to GASoline71 and Cedarkerf. Not trying to hijack your thread, one-up ya, or shamelessly promote myself.

But you're right, things weren't 100% there. The chain was actually cutting good until i got on the left side of the back cut and i it was one of those too far to turn back now things.

All very good points for a newbie (me). I am in the process of getting me a book (the ones recommended on here) on felling. I never had anyone really give me any lessons other than what I've seen on here. It makes me very cautious and nervous when felling a tree with any size to it. Fell one a couple weeks ago that looked like it was going to be easy. Not so much, turned out to be a scary situation, but like one said, The tree came down and no one got hurt.

If any of you are still giving out wedges.... hint, hint... LOL!
Everyone enjoy and have a safe new year!
Chris

Hey it's not an island it's a continent :) It was by no means a small pine :cheers:

lol i know man, i was just takin' a jab at ya. Returnin' the favor if ya will. :sword:

Back