vintage mono chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old 040

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i know there's been plenty of talk on here about these saws, and i know they're nothing special, but they do look nice when restored, which is the plan for this one i just picked up, only required cleaning and resetting the points, and replacing the inlet assy. and diaphragm kit, and it's back to running, actually it runs very well, got lucky i guess, would like to find a nice handlebar if any of you might have one, BTW it's a model 46, but the 47 should also be the same, possibly others..................some pics.................View attachment 303405View attachment 303406View attachment 303407View attachment 303408............;)

You could have the existing handle bar re-chromed?

I inherited my Great Grandads Mono and I need a carb kit. I need to check what model it is and fix it.

i guess what i like best about these saws, is that the engine parts, for the most part, are still around, i also looked at a model 48 today, it may become mine, but man some people think they have a goldmine with what they think is a really old or rare chainsaw "in their minds", i haven't ruled it out yet as it's complete except for the skinner filter and back cover, but i have some of those, for those that haven't seen a model 48, mitch (stinkbait) did an excellent resto on one, this is his........................View attachment 303417View attachment 303418..............hope mine will look that nice...............;)

Last edited:
Once in a while one turns up down here on CL. There is one right now for sale in Marrionville for $50 but is a later style than the one here. Also an old David Bradley reverse rotation in Hilandville for $40. Would like to have them but got to have groceries first. Oh well, maybe later.

I also had an old Mitchell chainsaw, made in Aurora, Mo. Wound up trading it to a guy I know who had a Mono and an old Barker, also made in Springfield, Mo. I believe they had the AH47 engine on them. He wanted the Mitchell because he wanted a collection that was made in this area. Turned out he put them on the bay and sold them.:mad:

I inherited my Great Grandads Mono and I need a carb kit. I need to check what model it is and fix it.

Both of mine have Lauson/Power Products/Tecumseh carbs on them. Some had Tillotson carbs.

i guess what i like best about these saws, is that the engine parts are for the most part are still around, i also looked at a model 48 today, it may become mine, but man some people think they have a goldmine with what they think is a really old or rare in their minds chainsaw, i haven't ruled it out yet as it's complete except for the skinner filter and back cover, but i have some of those, for those that haven't seen a model 48, mitch (stinkbait) did an excellent resto on one, this is his........................View attachment 303417View attachment 303418..............hope mine will look that nice...............;)

You ain't kiddin'. There's one on ebay with a $1200 buy it now price, and not in near as good of condition as that one or the first post.

I also had an old Mitchell chainsaw, made in Aurora, Mo. Wound up trading it to a guy I know who had a Mono and an old Barker, also made in Springfield, Mo. I believe they had the AH47 engine on them. He wanted the Mitchell because he wanted a collection that was made in this area. Turned out he put them on the bay and sold them.:mad:

that blows..........do you have any saws that were made in your state?

that blows..........do you have any saws that were made in your state?

Not anymore. Wouldn't mind having a Mono, My father used to be a machine tool salesman and Mono was one of his customers. This was back in the 50's and 60's. Barker's started out manufacturing in Ava, Mo. then moved to Springfield. My family roots are from around the Ava area.

Not anymore. Wouldn't mind having a Mono, My father used to be a machine tool salesman and Mono was one of his customers. This was back in the 50's and 60's. Barker's started out manufacturing in Ava, Mo. then moved to Springfield. My family roots are from around the Ava area.

a buddy of mine has a barker, looked like a kinda rare one, not listed on mikes site, not sure if he still has it, i may stop by his place this morning and see him, he's not far from where the model 48 mono is that i think i'm going to grab anyway, haven't seen him in a couple years, i'll see if he still has it.....................;)

well just got back from a road trip, turns out my buddy sold what was left of a very large collection of saws and parts, i was a little bummed, but it was good to see him again, i did snag the mono model 48, it too will be a future resto job.................some before pics..............View attachment 303530View attachment 303531View attachment 303532...............wondering if this one has been redone before, pretty sure the decal on the recoil doesn't belong there?............040...............also wanted to add, this saw also has 3/8 pitch chain, they must have come that way when new, all others that i've seen were also 3/8 pitch

Last edited:
Back