Volzang Norseman 2500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laynes69

laynes69

Addicted to ArboristSite
Unfortunately too many people have high hopes, and that's swap out the old stove with the new stove in a chimney that's too large, and wood that's not seasoned and expect the world out of it. Many people still believe that 3 month wood split and stacked over the summer is seasoned.

The first year we had our furnace, initially I was impressed, but when the cold set in that went away. I was getting gallons of liquid from the chimney cleanout, heat was poor, and burntimes suffered. I assumed everything worked well with the old so why not new? First off my liner was too big, the flue gasses run between 150-200 external in a burn. They were condensing in the 7x11 liner, which not only gave us that problem, but also little to no draft (not enough heat to warm up the chimney). On top of that, our wood wasn't seasoned, so the firebox damper remained open a majority of the burn, and this lowered burn times. With all this, heat output was poor at best. Our home also had some serious air leakage, despite being well insulated. All in all, it was a disaster. The next year, I lined the chimney and the condensation went away, plus my draft remained at a stable level during all burn stages. I then was able to find good seasoned wood (2 years), and heat output was much better than the previous season, and the chimney remained much cleaner. After we airsealed the attic and insulated, our burntimes increased, as well as comfort and wood usage dropped. I was willing to put in time and money, and I listened to the many who switched and it payed off.

I live in a very rural area, and almost all my neighbors burn wood. Everyone I speak to are amazed by the amount of wood we don't burn. Their houses are much smaller, and newer than ours. Yeah, the old "smoke dragons" can burn cleanly, buy it requires a good amount of air to do it, which compromises burn times. Our home isn't the largest home out there, but it's not small either. On those cold nights, I'm impressed by the way it heats. When it comes to heating, there's too many variables in play, but a EPA unit with the same btu output as a non EPA unit will for sure save wood. I've seen quite a few people that have added burn tubes to their furnace, and the end result despite a smaller firebox is, a longer, cleaner burn and more heat.

Last edited:
outdoorsman0490

outdoorsman0490

ArboristSite Operative
Just an additional comment, I may use 6-8 cords between mid October to early May. My wood seasons less than 12 months, and even though using the biggest possible splits and logs that fit through the door, and dampening it down as much as possible, at the end of the season I usually only end up with about a soup can of creosote that comes out of the chimney when I clean it.

flotek

flotek

Addicted to ArboristSite
One thing is certain if your the type of guy that cuts in the summer and leaves your rounds in the back yard till the fall and then split and toss them down stairs you will absolutely hate a new epa stove or furnace. .you will never see the benefits or the heat no matter how cool the features or how high tech it is . You must use well seasoned dry wood .. The good news is it doesn't cost a thing extra to prepare and store your wood so its ready

outdoorsman0490

outdoorsman0490

ArboristSite Operative
I did not want to give that impression, I use my wood pile as a fence, as I use, I back fill for next year. The wood I burned oct/nov is already refilled with fresh cut/split, by the end of my burning season I am all done for the next season. I get very little to no sizzle, even in rounds that are 10" diameter...next to no creosote build up

StephieDoll

StephieDoll

ArboristSite Operative
I was big on the large rounds and splits that just fit through the door of my Quad 3100 step top. 2 Years season, but they are just not burning that well. No sizzle or creosote either but the stove hates them. When I fill it with smaller splits/rounds I get much hotter temps and about the same burn time. The wood I am splitting now is much smaller. Rounds are less than 6". Time will tell how much better/worse things will be in 2-3 years Ishould be closer to the 3 years of season from here on out.
I'm still a newbe but I don't see how a 10" round can season in 1 year, even soft maple.

Last edited:
Whitespider
Well... ummmm... well... to be completely fair, I don't always get 9½ hours usable heat from a ¾ load of Black Maple :(
Admittedly, burn time correlates directly with how often the draft blower runs.
Last night the temperature started dropping fast and the wind came up... this morning it's -8°, 15 MPH wind (-30° windchill).
Loaded the firebox about the same as the night before, ¾ load of Black Maple. I don't know when the draft blower first kicked in, or how often it did (but I'm sure it was a ton more often than the night before)... 8½ hours later... 63° in the house this morning. There was still enough coals in the box to just toss splits in, but not enough to be makin' what I'd call "usable" heat. Heck, there wasn't enough heat to keep the circulation blower runnin'. My bad... I should'a stuffed it full last night... with oak‼

Tonight is supposed to be worse... lookin' at -15° and wind... I really should'a brought more oak in this year :oops:

flotek

flotek

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I had my old englander I'd pack that girl up the baffle with half seasoned sugar maple it never missed a beat and kept the house real toasty the drawback was it burned dirty and took a lot of dense wood I'd guess i could have heated my house for twice the length of time had I used my new furnace . Secondary burn tubes make a huge difference in burn time

ziggo_2

ziggo_2

ArboristSite Operative
i forgot i replied to this....

my thoughts:
Your wood is probly still too wet.
Your draft is too much.
Getting a 10-12 hr burn doesnt mean you will always keep the house at 70 degrees.
The blower fans are suppose to cycle like that, although that doesnt always keep the house warm.
Ideally you want the hot air ducts going into the main trunk of the furnace and cold air from the main trunk of the return.

I think you just need minor adjustments, more experience with it, and probly lower expectations.
I wish i wouldve did more research before i bought one too....live and learn... As far as wood stoves go...that may be a better route for you, just remember, You get what you pay for.