Walbro carb problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tboarder2602

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with a walbro carb on an echo cs440 that I'm working on for a friend and I'm hoping someone on here can help me out.

I've been tinkering with and repairing small and large equipment for about 10 years now and I've probably rebuilt 50 or so carbs by now, so I have a decent amount of experience and haven't seen this problem yet.

The problem the saw is having is not getting any fuel on the low idle circuit in the carb. My friend told me about the problem (which according to him was it just wouldn't idle) after he had already replaced the plug, fuel filter, rebuilt the carb, and replaced the gasket which is between the carb and the plastic plate it mounts to. I figured it just needed to be tuned properly, and maybe he still had the limiter caps on etc.

I got the saw, choked it, locked the throttle and it fired and ran. It was rich on the top end so I leaned it out a bit and it was spot on for the high idle. If you let off the throttle it would die anywhere lower then about 1/2 throttle or a little less. I thought the high idle might be affecting this, so I closed it, counting the turns so I can get the saw back to that mixture when all said and done.

After closing the high idle screw, I was not able to get the saw to run at all on only the low idle. That includes choked, not choked, throttle, no throttle, and adjusting the low idle screw (in about 1/2 turn increments) from about 1/2 turn out, all the way out to when it was almost falling out of the carb.

I figured the orifice from the side of the carb, to the low idle screw seat must be clogged so I took the carb out, cleaned it all up real good and inspected the high and low fuel passages. They both are clean as a whistle. I know the low fuel passage is tiny, but holding the carb out in the sunlight with the side up, it allowed sunlight down through the fuel passages enough to be able to see the mixture screw seats. If you blocked the sun with you hand you could no longer see the seats, so I'm 99% sure they are both fine.

I put the carb back together and ran the saw again (after returning the high idle screw back to where I had it before) with the same results. It just won't idle. It just seems weird, I've had saws which will idle but not run with any throttle because they were starving for fuel, but never encountered a saw which wont idle but runs great at high rpm.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something else in the carb, or if the problem lies elsewhere? It's really bugging me, as I'm not one to give up easily, nor have I had a saw get the best of me yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also as you can see by my sig, I don't own any echos and this is my first time working on one. But a walbro carb is a walbro carb no matter what saw its on.

Thanks.

Did you check the compression?

Possible a bad crank seal?

Metering lever improperly adjusted?

The Walbro site has a service manual in pdf that discusses these and other causes of poor/no idle.

HTH

:cheers:

I'll check out the walbro site.

Little more info. The saw is almost new, it has about 10 hours on it. I didn't check the compression, as I don't have gauge, but it feels good. I've run and seen saws with little compression and this is not one of them.

As for the crank seal, any way to check that?

Thanks for the advice so far.

I'll check out the walbro site.

Little more info. The saw is almost new, it has about 10 hours on it. I didn't check the compression, as I don't have gauge, but it feels good. I've run and seen saws with little compression and this is not one of them.

As for the crank seal, any way to check that?

Thanks for the advice so far.

The crank seals can be checked out by pressure testing the crank. If you do a search on pressure testing you will find some good threads that discuss it and also describe how to make your own pressure tester at a relatively small cost.

Basically what you want to do is plug the muffler and carb except for an air hole. Use the air hole to pressurize the crank (usually to 7 psi) and see that the crank holds pressure. The threads will describe it better than I can.

HTH.

Did you check the compression?

Possible a bad crank seal?

:cheers:

I fought with my 064 last month, close to your problems, but mine would flood. I had a leak down test done on it at the dealership after I installed a new crank case seal, it turned out to be a bad plug wire. Just for S&G's and there cheap, get a new spark plug wire and try it?
Cant hurt?

GM:spam:

Sounds like it might be the carbs non replaceable check valve. I believe the wt-416 has one.

Thanks litefoot. That was the problem. Junk under the welsh plug. It was a WT 416. I have not worked on this carb before.

I noticed a few differences between it and others I've worked on. It did not have the kidney shaped plate (which is held in by a small flat head screw) that is located on the diaphragm/metering lever side of the carb. Many of the carbs on stihls and other stuff I've worked on had this plate. If I remember correctly there were orifices under the plate, my guess is the idle circuit. Does the WT 416 have these under the welsh plug instead?

Guessing from my past work, I'd say I never removed the welsh plug on 95% of the carbs I've rebuilt, and never had a problem. Maybe that's because they had the plate and I cleaned the idle circuit orifices that way, or maybe I got lucky and none of them were clogged under the welsh plug. Either way, every carb I do from now on will have the welsh plug removed, be cleaned, and have the new welsh plug installed, as I'm looking to keep my work up to a professional level.

Just goes to show no matter how old you get, you always learn something new.

good that you got it running,,, i wouldn't pull the plugs on every carb i worked on, unless it calls for it,, sometimes they may not seal properly afterwards...

Ok thanks for the advice guys. Good to know. I guess I will just be rebuilding them as I was before and keep an eye out for the occasional unit that might need the plug removed.

Latest posts

Back