Walked From the Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't confuse yourself with pollution

'Hack' is more about low quality tree work, minimal if any personal protective equipment, no insurance and lowballing to scrunge work from legitimates like ourselves.

You left the job for another tree service. That is 'Un' hack, in my eyes and no reason to walk away with tail between the legs. You chose safety and sensibility over macho male instinct. You set a good, responsible example for your son and all of us, and you've moved on to the next job. Nutt'n wrong at all with that.

Im with lumberjack on this one, sounds like you walked from the tree cause you realized it was not going to be profitable and youve bitten off more than you can chew.
Walking because your incapable is one thing but because you blew the bid is just plain wrong. Everyone here has started into a big job and at some point realized youve screwed yourself, but it is simply bad ethics to walk because of that. Suck it up, and get the job done. Ive walked away from maybe 2 or 3 trees in my life, money had nothing to do with them.
For your reputation and integrity, I hope the money had nothing to do with your decision.

On a side note-- how can taking a wrap around a tree be any easier than using a porty?:confused:

700.00 seems very very cheap for that tree, am i wrong in thinking it should be about 1200.00 ?

and if ts bid 700 what did you bid it at? ghee it would cost abotu 200.00 just in dumping charges for the wood.

one more thing ,if you dont have the eq. perhaps you might want to consider renting a lift and incorporating it into your bid.

you could have went back the the owner and said its just risky without the lift then rented the lift and increased your bid. This way the homeowner can see your honesty and you will still get the job and with a lift you will make far more my as it increases your speed .

I agree 700 is way low. Not for the condition just the size and amount of material to be removed. Around here 2500 to 3000 dollar range would be more appropriate.

I'm not sure about the ethics of leaving an underbid job to someone with a bucket truck. I haven't felt ashamed about doing that exact same thing, and haven't see any drop in the business's reputation. What's wrong with admitting a mistake?? Is it ethics or ego that prevents one from letting the next bidder do it?

Integrity, that's defined individually--I don't feel right about removing trees that deliver value to their owner, others don't seem bothered at all.

As far as wood dumping, red maple is excellent for turning if it's not rotten--have you talked to local woodturners who make bowls etc? I get my maple hauled for free, and sometimes get some bowls in barter too.;)

$700 id be there half day job with the stump LMAO at the wrap bit but ,i wouldnt be hanging any part of that tree

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
I'm not sure about the ethics of leaving an underbid job to someone with a bucket truck. I haven't felt ashamed about doing that exact same thing, and haven't see any drop in the business's reputation. What's wrong with admitting a mistake?? Is it ethics or ego that prevents one from letting the next bidder do it?

Dont you think that if you give some a price to do a job and they hire you, you should honor your bid and do the work? A safety issue is one thing, but to back out because you made an error in pricing?
How would you feel if you hired someone to sand your hardwood floors, they arrived, got all set up and then backed down because of an error in pricing? Then they said "sorry, maybe you can take one of the other bids?":rolleyes:
Admit the mistake, maybe they'll offer you more once your done and they see how hard you've worked to care for their property, and they realize the value of your service.
Ego has nothing to do with it, I just dont think its your decision that the next bidder can do the work,it is the client's decision, but guess what they've hired you!

What kind of value does your bid have to the client, if you can back out at any given time because of your error?

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
I'm not sure about the ethics of leaving an underbid job to someone with a bucket truck. I haven't felt ashamed about doing that exact same thing,

i dont get it how can you underbid a tree job?your only getting paid for labour,$700 easily covers that so be happy you have the work:angel:

Originally posted by aussie_lopa
i dont get it how can you underbid a tree job?your only getting paid for labour,$700 easily covers that so be happy you have the work:angel:

:confused: :confused:

aren't there many more expenses to consider covering, if you're only make enough to cover labor, it is underbid.

refering to that tree,1 hour climbing @$100pr hr,chipping at say $200 cut wood into wheels $200 leaving $200

I don't understand why it took getting up into the tree halfway to discover you didn't ask for enough money on it. What did you originally think. How long did you think it would take what part isn't worth it?, putting it on the ground or getting rid of it? Something smells fishy around here. What did you end up doing that day. Did you make more than 700 that day?

I guess I am lucky to have the resources that I do, a great ground crew, awesome chipper, good rope man and sharp saws. With kinda backing I'd been calling for a wood pick up around 10 a.m. and been getting onto the stump.

Well, I accepted the job for a lower price than I’d normally bid as a favor for my boss, and I looked at the tree last winter, when it was leafless. When I showed up yesterday, I was surprised to see how little foliar growth it had, and I saw the tree was in greater decline than I had thought last winter. When I got up the tree, aside from the realization that I had a lot of big wood to work, I also started having reservations about my TIP. I got wondering about it, especially should I have had to swing back to it from the big lateral over the road.

If the tree was fairly vigorous, I could have done the tree, as I've done bigger, but then again, there’d have been no reason for me to remove a vigorous tree unless it was severely storm damaged. I guess it was the combination of the sheer bulk of the tree and it’s decline that made me walk. I just didn't feel right in this tree. It was not a money issue.

Lumberjack & Tophopper: Well, it was a lesson well learned to be much more careful about bids in the future. But I'd never walk from a job because I didn't think it was paying me enough.

Lumberjack: The job was $375.

Mike Maas: It’s 250 inches of snow, not feet!

Now, I’ve gotta go get my “mind right” for the next job, as Butch puts it.

So what would it have taken to get the job done? more money or a crane or just a bucket truck?

BigJohn,

Like fmueller, I do tree work on the side to supplement my meager income at my regular job. I got out of production tree work in my late 30's because it was kicking my butt, and I wasn't getting any younger. I know there's a handful of full-time climbers on this site my age and older -- and more power to them. But for me having a full-time "normal" job, and doing treework on the side at my own pace and at my own bidding is where it's at.

Chucky

I see I get the feeling you were more in the position of wanting to do favor for someone. Thats a huge favor for someone in your position and amount resources. Keep it small and you can make a killing that way too. I too sometimes have a hard time saying no. I think your heart just wasnt into it and why should it. Don't sweat it. I personaly been laying back and takeing it easy. I like my nights and weekends off. Don't over due it.

Originally posted by tophopper
:confused: :confused:

aren't there many more expenses to consider covering, if you're only make enough to cover labor, it is underbid.

Not really. Fuel, yes. But obviously normal overhead such as insurance doesn't apply.

I can see it.

I couldnt give a bid from the pics because I cant see the LZ but for me, to get everything from the stump up removed would cost between $75-125 dollars.

Thats about all i can say on the price, the tree doesnt look that bad, tops I think the top for me to charge would be around $1000, depending on the LZ. Is that a refrigerator beside the driveway? Is the driveway gravel or paved?

I appreciate the advice, BigJohn -- along with everybody else’s – I’m much obliged.

I’d much rather make posts of my accomplishments on this site rather than my shortcomings, but I got thinking about the newbies on this site, and I felt compelled to embarrass myself for their sake. And for an ego-driven business such as this, it shore ain’t EASY!

-Chucky
Popple Topple TREE SERVICE

Back