walnut firewood is it any good for burning in fireplace or wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought walnut was “BAD” or “not safe” to burn? Iv got about a cords worth of black walnut sitting in a yard that i am not sure id i want becaues of this

Clarification?

I thought walnut was “BAD” or “not safe” to burn? Iv got about a cords worth of black walnut sitting in a yard that i am not sure id i want becaues of this

Clarification?
As long as it is dry to 20% moisture or less burn away, like others have said it is an above average fuelwood, burns and heats just fine. Are you perhaps thinking about how some people have a reaction to it when using it as woodworking?

My only source of information as just word-of-mouth or people I’ve talked to around my area about Burningwood all of them that I’ve asked about black walnut said that it can be hazardous if you breath the “fumes/smoke” in a sense that it could cause a bad reaction as well.

I have not factual info

My only source of information as just word-of-mouth or people I’ve talked to around my area about Burningwood all of them that I’ve asked about black walnut said that it can be hazardous if you breath the “fumes/smoke” in a sense that it could cause a bad reaction as well.

I have not factual info
I've never had any reactions to it either by burning it or handling it and I am pretty sensitive to things like that, but then I am burning it in an airtight stove, but I would think I would've had an issue with cutting and handling it. I'd say give it a try and if there is an issue obviously stop but I would think you'd be alright.

Iv seen some people get a rash cutting walnut and others it doesn' bother. Makes decent heating wood but like others have said leaves a ot of ash. I wouldn't turn it down if it' close and free.

Is it the bark that is ashy? Or sapwood maybe?

We have some species where burning it with the bark on produces large amounts of ash but the wood itself is low in ash. A number of eucalypt species are like that. Then again, we have a few eucs that are ashy all through. If you can convince the bark to come off your splits without too much bother that might help the ash situation.

Actually I'm a bit surprised you're not selling your cord of highly valuable walnut on Craigslist.

Only problem I have with black walnut is it stains my hands if I handle without gloves. Cant wash it off either. I dont get a bunch of walnut, just dont have a lot of it around here, and when I do get it, its usually a yard tree full of nails.

Far more valuable as furniture lumber, but it's also decent fuel. Fuel value is (usually) roughly proportional to a wood's density.

Juglone is what makes walnut toxic, mainly to woodworkers who inhale it and horses that eat it. I suspect burning destroys the juglone.

Black Walnut burns fine, but produces a lot of ash. I wouldn't say any more than Sugar Maple though. The biggest problem is that BW takes years to dry unless split into pretty small pieces. Even a 3" round can take 3 or 4 years to be ready to burn without hissing and spitting. I don't have the room to store it for that length of time, so I usually pass on it.
As far as the toxicity, some people are sensitive to it and others are not. I used to work with it in my wood shop almost daily and never had a problem. Cherry dust would make me sneeze, though.

Send it to Me, I will Burn, I Mean "Dispose" of it for you ;), I will even "Dispose" of it FREE for You, Cuz,That's the kind of Guy I am, Help out a Fellow forum member whenever I can :)

For some reason, a lot of people have some strange ideas that Pine will burn your house down :confused:, Uh, NOT if you keep the Fire, in the Fireplace or Woodstove. I have burned Pine, Particularly Lodgepole, LOTS of it, and all the houses that I have owned are still standing.

Make sure it is well seasoned, and have your chimney swept regularly, and I bet even your Walnut wont burn your house down either.

Dry Wood (Even Walnut or Pine ;)) and a Clean chimney = BTU's and Ambiance :yes:

Doug :cheers:

Latest posts

Back