Walnut logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climbing mike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive recently cut down 4 or 5 walnut trees. The saw mill I normally take logs to dont want them. Is there a market for selling these log? If so where? Im in NC. Thanks Mike

They say they dont have a market to sell the wood to. They take Oak, Maple, Beech, Gum,Pine, ect.I dont want them to go to waste because walnut is a pretty wood. I thought about having them sawed into lumber, then try to sell that.

I had put a former mentor of mine in touch with a log buyer. My friend called me one day told me that the guy who he was talking to about selling the logs didn't want black walnut. I guess maybe they can't afford to deal with that expensive of wood, ie; any mistakes, special equipment, or paying out the money to the seller.

i'm a log buyer.. There hasnt been a good market for walnut logs, especially sawlogs, in over 10 years.
Everybody just thinks walnut is valuable.. NOT TRUE !!!!!!! Sawlogs usually average about 30 thirty cents
a board foot.. ( not much really )

i could buy them, but you would need over 4000 bdft international or doyle scale... be able to load a flaTbed
trailer with a log loader... logs would hav e to be cut for grade..

even if 1 or two logs were veneer .. the cost of truclking them is likely to supercede the value . no matter how much a foot.

Walnut is hot in our area

walnut was dead for years in our area to I have literally left over fifty thousand feet of it standing scattered over the last half dozen jobs we have done. However it is out of site now our local buyers are no trouble putting 3.50 to 4 a ft right now on it. However if you were to stumble on to some bigger stuff 24 inches no defects they will put up to 7$ in it. Our market is hotter than it has been in years every yard you see around here is practically empty. Even Mack Hasely's yard is low and he use to be or still is one of the biggest producer's this side of the Mississippi.

I'm in chapel hill and you might want to try walton's mill in meban. he buys high end logs for the furniture trade. he grades on the Doyle scale but you'd better hollar what your logs are worth other wise he'll try and down grade you:mad:

Back