Walnut Table w/ Oak Leaf Inlays

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well here are a few pics of one on my latest projects. It is definitely my biggest project from milled lumber to date. My friend actually milled this walnut on his LT-40 and air dried, then kiln dried the slabs. Here is what I started with.
attachment.php

I hand carved the live edges with my dime tip carver then used my angle grinder to smooth over the edge. I didn't want any type of cookie cutter look to it.
attachment.php

The table top dimensions are: Length=12.5 feet
Width=38"-40"
Thickness=1.75"​

I decided to do some custom looking inlays to hide all the large knot holes and cracks. I used some oak and cut out some oak leaves and acorns then traced them onto the table. I then used a 1/8" router bit and carefully removed all of the material freehand as there was no way to use the standard inlay template method to make such intricate shapes and sharp corners. All in all it worked very well you just have to go slow and be very careful. Here are a couple pics of the process.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
I'll try to post some more pics later on of the burl trestle style legs that im working on right now! Should be a pretty unique looking table when its done though.

Nice work, should be really nice when you get in finished. As my granddad use to say "It will take three men and a boy to move it".

Nice work, should be really nice when you get in finished. As my granddad use to say "It will take three men and a boy to move it".

Yes it will and it will also have very heavy, live edge, slab benches all the way around! Two six footers on each side and a couple of smaller ones on the ends. A friend of mine is in the process of building his wife's uncle a hunting lodge and this will be the dining table that will be going in the great room.

:jawdrop: that is stunning work you have done there...

I could have never done it so well if it weren't for all of the great people of this site and all of the tips and info that they have shared with me freely over the few short years that I have been around here. So to all of you out there thanks a million.:hmm3grin2orange: It has been quite a rewarding experience so far and I'm itchin to get er done!

beautiful work!

lumberjackchef:
Nice work, thanks for posting. Reward is all the greater knowing you started "right from the tree" . Looking forward to see more pictures as you progress. Will you add low relief detail to the inlays, or keep them flat and flush with the surface? Have you thought about how you will attach the legs?
Great project, please keep us posted!

lumberjackchef:
Will you add low relief detail to the inlays, or keep them flat and flush with the surface? Have you thought about how you will attach the legs?
Great project, please keep us posted!

I have given it little thought until you asked but now I'm contemplating using my wood burner a little bit. I really like to use pyrography in my log tables and lamps. I have done several using this method and I have really liked the results. Thanks for that idea! At this point I have the three piece burl slab legs assembled and just got through gluing them and putting the pegs into the mortise/tenon joints. Here is a pic of them before doing this.
attachment.php
I have a 2x6 piece of walnut ready to mortise and attach across the top of each of the leg assemblies. Then i will be using two 9' pieces of walnut, with cleats installed every 18", to use as stretchers to connect the leg assemblies and attach the table top using sliding joints to accommodate for expansion and contraction of the top. I will try to put more pics of the progress up tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your input.

The leaf inlays are very cool. Do they help splitting like the bow ties? I don't like the way the bow ties interrupt the flow of the grain and inlays like this could be more aesthetically pleasing.

Somebody has too much time on there hands.
Quite the project you have undertaken and it is starting to come together rather nicely.
Thanks for sharing.

The leaf inlays are very cool. Do they help splitting like the bow ties? I don't like the way the bow ties interrupt the flow of the grain and inlays like this could be more aesthetically pleasing.

I agree that they make the table more unique and way cooler!:rockn: I really wanted this table to stand out from the crowd. And my buddy told me it just need to be this size but be creative with it. So here we are. I assume that they would help to prevent further splitting. I used epoxy to put them in and it is some pretty stout stuff too! They look much more interesting than the bowties and I think I'm going to do some largemouth bass or flying duck silhouettes on the burl legs. I surfaced the table top again last night and filled all the voids with epoxy I will get some more pics up tonight. Thanks for all the interest everyone!

I agree that they make the table more unique and way cooler!:rockn: I really wanted this table to stand out from the crowd. And my buddy told me it just need to be this size but be creative with it. So here we are. I assume that they would help to prevent further splitting. I used epoxy to put them in and it is some pretty stout stuff too! They look much more interesting than the bowties and I think I'm going to do some largemouth bass or flying duck silhouettes on the burl legs. I surfaced the table top again last night and filled all the voids with epoxy I will get some more pics up tonight. Thanks for all the interest everyone!

Nice work-great inlays. Are you going to put veins on the leaves with the wood burner? Thanks for posting and inspiring us :clap:

Wow, I know this was gonna be a good thread as soon as I read the title. Nice work!!!

Latest posts

Back