Wankel chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the swede

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,i´m looking for a dolmar kms-4 wankel chainsaw for my friend,who is a wankel freak!! so if you have one for sale or know someone else who have one, just let me know! I have also heard that there is another wankelsaw other than the dolmar!!?? if there is,that´s also interesting! i´m sure hi will give a good price for a good running saw!!

I think I have heard of another rotary powered saw too, but I dont know the name. good luck finding a KMS4 though.

I have a friend who has one that is in very nice shape. He wants $1,800 for it though. I once told him it was my birthday and he ought to give it to me and he said if I could carry it out of the shop using only my bung hole after he strategically shoved it there then by all means Happy Birthday! He still has it for sale.

klickitatsacket said:
I have a friend who has one that is in very nice shape. He wants $1,800 for it though. I once told him it was my birthday and he ought to give it to me and he said if I could carry it out of the shop using only my bung hole after he strategically shoved it there then by all means Happy Birthday! He still has it for sale.

Eric lists it everytime ebay has a cheap listing night. One of these times it will sell.

Bill

Chopwood said:
That saw is going to go cheap for what it is.

Well, if you consider $1030 cheap for a saw that 'starts with ether'. Granted, carb rebuilds are easy, but even a wore out old saw with bad seals will start with ether! Seems like an expensive venture to me, unless it was guaranteed to be a strong runner!

The guy selling it didn't even know what the heck it was until someone obviously emailed him and told him! Either way, he made out like a fat rat...bet he would have been happy to get $200 for it! Bet his jaw dropped as he saw the ending price!

Hope the buyer has no problems getting it going and uses it to saw wood, at least once before he puts it on his shelf!

From the description, I don't think this guy had a clue what it was, or what it might go for. He must have dropped a load when it went up to 1030.
Scott

McC said:
From the description, I don't think this guy had a clue what it was, or what it might go for. He must have dropped a load when it went up to 1030.
I think the guy's going through his garage like a madman looking for that 20 year old Craftsman that won't start so he can sell that one on eBay too!

:hmm3grin2orange:

As one with a technical background, I also think they are incredible pieces of engineering.

As far as motorcycles go, Wikipedia shows: "The 'Norton Commander' was a motorcycle made by Norton Motorcycles beginning in 1987 for police forces and 1988 for civilian use. It is powered by a water-cooled two rotor Wankel engine."

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/news03101000.html

The next Hotsaw

Well, why not build a hotsaw out of a hopped-up RX-7 engine? They are LIGHT and high-powered, and have rather strong aftermarket support! It would sure be the talk of the show...and I am sure it would shred some wood!

Four Paws said:
Well, why not build a hotsaw out of a hopped-up RX-7 engine? They are LIGHT and high-powered, and have rather strong aftermarket support! It would sure be the talk of the show...and I am sure it would shred some wood!

Hmmm... might give the Predator a run for it's money!! :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hopped up? It already is!

From Wikipedia:

Series 8 (January 1999– August 2002) Power was officially claimed as 280 ps (276 hp, 208 kW) (with 330 N·m (243 ft·lbf) of torque) as per the maximum Japanese limit, though realistic power was more likely 220–230 kW (290–308 hp).

Here's the orginal link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_RX-7

TreeCo said:
I bet what you are saying is true but who would know how to hop one up?

......I mean other than Dean!

Dean are you missing out on George Bush being slammed on the Walmart thread?

We've got a guy over there about to socialize American medicine!:laugh:

Actually not a guy but 246,000 mostly Americans Dean.:hmm3grin2orange:

klickitatsacket said:
the guys paying this kind of money are not going to cut wood with them. these are prized in the collector's world.

No, Dean, it is not many models that bring these amount's of money.
I know several that bought this and it has never costed them more than $500 including shipping.
It is very rare you get more than $50 for a regular vintage saw. If it is special or rare it can get like this, but the guy who bid's this much for this saw, will regret it.

mange, this could be true to a point. The thing is though not all collectors are the same. You have the one collector that is very careful and buys as more of an investment. Then you get the collectors that have to have better and buy on impulse. When I was a kid my dad was an antique dealer and we worked the mall show circuits and expo shows. You either had the collector that would beat you down on price or the collector that would just whip out the cash because they had to have it. The shrewd collector calls the other a fool and the fool says I have the money and I want it. The dealer just has to pick his customer and buy right for resale.

I wonder who the buyer is and if he/she will admit to it in this forum, or show up in a week or so and start asking questions? I also wonder if anyone on this site bid?

Mange, for under $500, I might have considered it. I am not really a collector of things, I just like to have 'cool' stuff that isn't the norm or the standard issue. I would like the saw more because it is different, and I would definitely fire it up and plan on using it to saw wood! Definitely wouldn't make it my primary saw, but it would be fun to get it out and make a few cuts now and again...just to keep it up and running well. Things tend to go to crap after they sit for a while!

Was actually telling my dad about this saw and this eBay auction. Turns out his dad had a Dolmar KMS-4 back when it came out. Bought it in 1976. He said it was a great saw, but it got stolen in 1979...too bad, as I would have a great collector's item with sentimental value - oh well, just rambling now.

Latest posts

Back