Wannabe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drummer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Need feedback on climbing videos/books that you guys would recommend to someone (me) who wants to learn how to climb trees. I have a woodlot that needs general tree work. I have prior utility pole climbing experience. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Everyone and their mother will recommend this book, so I'll start. Jeff Jepson's <i>Tree Climber's Companion, 2nd edition</i> is the best book you can buy for the money as a beginner climber. I was reading it last night and was struck by how much I don't know. If everyone committed this book to memory, the industry would be revolutionized. You can find it in nearly every industry catalog. You can find it for $10.

Nickrosis

Tree physiology is important too, so "Arboriculture" by Harris et al is a very very good resourse. Densly paked and well referanced.

Darin, we realy could uses a FAQ page, for stuff like good books and Slime Flux. I'll handle it if you set it up.

Good point john, round out your climbing skills with tree knowledge -biology, types, etc...
Fundamentals of General Tree Work --is a must have for tree work.

Greg

i wish there was ArborMaster Videos when i was starting out!

My fascination with these topics; lean to the mechanical side of "Both Fibres".

For the mechanics of working wood fibre (hinging); i can't say enough about "Professional Timber Falling-a Procedural Approach" by Douglas Dent. It teaches to use the hinge as a machine for ushering down immense leveraged mass; i have taken the models and turned them sideways; to have better hinged support and pivoting in rigging.

For the mechanics of the other working fibre (rope); a lil off topic; but very revealing in a comprehensive way is "On Rope" by Padget and Smith. i have alwys looked to the mountaineers for advanced understanding of our ropes; and this might be their bible!

Though also, one of my favorite books, that i have recomended, rordered, taught out of and given away when training etc.; is a gosh darned Sherrill catalogue! And seeing as i figure someone will eventually think i'm kissing up or something; let me clear that up; i'm just giving just do to them! i have beem recommending there catalog to learn out of for years; nad really appreciate all they have done for the industry, including this humble sight! i still remember finding te split tail and blakes hitch in there years ago; that was a real turning point for me!

Thanks to all for the additional info. I have purchased a couple of the recommended books and have made note of the other suggestions. I appreciate all and any feedback since I'm gonna need all the help I can get to stay safe and get the work done. Thank you.

If you can scrape up the money you`ll find the training videos are a good resource for novice climbers.
I read the book and missed the 1:5 ratio ascending with the secured footlock and prusik.
It`s in there and I read it but didn`t pick up on it.
Too busy looking at the pictures I guess.
The videos are very clear about that.
That`s just one thing that can get you seriously hurt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back