Want a bigger carb for your hopped up 372/375?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well it's not easy, and it's not the least expensive thing to do, but it works! Tight fit, you can see the A/F mount pushing the A/V bar back a little bit. I had a Tillotson HS-296A hanging around from a 385XP, and I thought I'd like to ditch the Zama carb that was on the stock 365 for this one. It took a little trial and error to figure out just how to get everything in there so it functions properly, but it's all done and it works great.

9e5a8c4c.jpg

04064e3a.jpg

1ce073eb.jpg

I wanted to retain the use of the stock air filter and cover. The high top doesn't really interest me. So basically to get this puppy in there I had to use this array of parts:

390 intake boot and clamp
390 carb mount flange]
misc. line for longer impulse hose
Tilly off a 385/390 - you can also use the new Walbro WJ series but may want the newer flange to go with it
Choke lever off a 365XT
Air filter mount off a 365XT - but you have to hog out the split tract for the x-torq

The stock throttle cable works fine. The reason for needing all the intake parts is the original carb setup had a bolt patter on the level, and the new setup has offset bolts. I suppose if you really wanted to make it work you could just swap the carb and find a choke lever that would work somehow, but it would be a bear to make any adjustments and your air filter would hang out to the side like a hoodlum wearing a queer ballcap.

So far so good, throttle response is nice and crisp, easy to tune. I'll have it at the GTG in NY this Sunday for those who are coming and want to take a peek and/or see how it runs. FYI the saw has been massaged by ECSaws with the XPW top end on there, thus my reasoning for wanting to do this. Well, that, and I had the carb staring at me on the shelf :laugh:

that is the set up i am using on my little 2065 .

I noticed a difference right off over the Zama. I don't do timed cuts, and haven't really made many cuts yet anyway but it feels good. Doubtful I'd notice a time difference in my head vs. a stopwatch anyway. It's still a little on the rich side at the moment. Did you notice any benefits on yours? Safe to assume you've ported yours?

i havent decided yet. i may just go the propalene route so that i can run it on gas when im not playing.

Very nice work, TK. I have a customer's 385 in the shop right now. Maybe I need to declare the carb junk and repurpose it for my Snellerized 372!!

You have a shot of rep coming if I can hit you.

Nice clean lookin' job. Today I got a spare tilly carb for my husky 480CD and compared it to an early 61 white top tilly carb and found that the 61 would bolt up. Venturi size is the same, but the 61 has a bigger throttle plate. Your post has me thinking that there has to be a better bigger bore carb that I can swap on for more power from the 480.

I'm assuming a guy could use the 372xt filter mount if you wanted to have the hightop filter? Are the choke levers different between the 365xt and 365 specials?

Latest posts

Back