WANT BUY NEW SAW pls.advise=HUSKYS vs 2 other brands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenacrewoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this site But have been reading for about 2 weeks.A very
Informative and well done site.
I've been researching saws for about 2 mounths and the ones listed in title
are what I can afford as I'm retired and on limited income.I would like Honest
opinions on these saws as Stihl and Echo in equal sizes are out of my range.
These are approx $$$ and best deals I could find.
Husky 350 3.2hp 52cc 13,000rpm 10.6lbs 18"std bar $280 20"std $290 .325
Husky 455R
3.4hp 55cc 13,000rpm 12.8lbs 18"pro bar $309 20" pro $325 3/8
Jonsered2150 3.0hp 12,500rpm 10.8lbs 20" w/pro bar $300 .325 pitch
MakitaDCS540 3.3hp 12,500rpm 10.4lbs 18" w/pro bar $325 3/8 pitch
First three saws come with 2 extra chains +s/h $15 Makitia free s/h
All saws have air injection air cleaner [longer filter life]
All have smart decompression valves [easier starts]
and quick release fliters & side mounted chain tensioners
I live on 10 acres with mostly Loplollie Pines 8"to 13" a few Oaks,Sweetgum and Hackberry so BYE,BYE Ole pines[won't cut Oaks] too few to spare, but I will use whichever saw I chose to cut down,make rough boards and support post for more out buildings [sheds] around the place and to clear trees around 3 acre pond in backyard.
Will not buy used or reconditioned as I've been shafted twice in the past
and since this will be Christmas and upcoming Birthday rolled ito one, I want the best saw I can afford.
Please tell me whats the diff. between .325 & 3/8 Bar & chain ?
Sorry it's so long, just giving best info for best advise.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Mike E.

Mike, you can get a much better price on the Makita, new, thru eBayware, but it sounds as though you're going need help from your local dealer. If you haven't used the search feature here at AS, try it using searches like: Husqvarna AND 350, Husqvarna AND 455R, etc.

Hopefully some of the experienced users here will post some thoughts on the saws that you're considering. Good luck!

BTW--If you go into your posts in the Used Equipment forum & use the edit button, you will find instructions how to delete the post.

i have the husky 350 and i like it........ runs good, plenty of power and i bought mine off ebay for less than what you have but didn't have 2 chains with it..... My vote is for the 350 but i also have no experience with the other saws.

Why are you considering 18 and 20" bars when your trees are 13" and less?
Long bars need more power and slows cutting down.

I have never even seen one, but I suggest that you stay away from the 455, as it weights way to much for it's power output. :angry:

There seem to something wrong with your 350/2150 data, as it should read 49.4 cc, 2.3 kw/3.1 hp and max 13000 rpm for both models. They are basically the same saw in different "clothing". These saws are well known for their smooth cutting, possily they have the least vibrations on the market.

I was thinking about the 18" & 20 " because inlaws property is backed up
to mine and has some 3' round and 60 to 80' tall pines on 135 acres that
come down now and then. The 10 arces I live on was mined for iron ore 20
or so years ago,thus the small trees.I really don't mind though because
inlaws gave us 10acres W/3acre pond in back yard about 6yrs ago and it's full of crappie, Lg. mouth Bass and 10lb cats. I'm retired so I can walk out
my back door and 60 yards latter I'm fishing almost everyday.Nothin better!

Mike

I would have to agree with the others on the husqvarna but my other favourite is the dolmar I have the budget ps-34 but the bigger models (7500 etc) are all nice and light and going by my ps-34 with it maxed out at 16" for the bar and chain I absolutely love it I am in the process of getting a 50cc husky (50 series) for the bigger stuff that the dolmar can't cut through properly without having to make two cuts(cut from both sides of log) just to get a cut completed which is something I hate having to do but is sometime unavoidable

I'm certain that the Makita has neither a decompression valve or an air injection type filter set up. Nor does it rate at 3.3 Hp. I beleive there were some numbers published by Makita that were incorrect. The correct rating would be 3.0 Hp. That being said, they are one of the better buys around. While not a standout, they are a proven durable design, with good balance and feel. One of my favorite to cut with as far as feel in the cut, and they respond well to a simple muffler mod. In stock form they will cut with or slightly better than the Husqvarna 55, and they are lighter.

The Husqvarna 350 is probably a better saw though. Slightly better anti-vibe, and better air filtration. It will probably cut a little faster as well. Unless dealer support sways you one way or the other, go with the Husqvarna. The only drawback of the 350 is the plastic crankcase.

If you are interested in a Dolmar PS540 (same as Makita), I can match the price you found, and I'll throw in the muffler mod for free. I would recommend .325 pitch chain, though. I don't care for the 3/8 chain on saws of that size. I stock parts, and can perform any service required. See my contact information in my signature.

Thanks Tony

The specs for the makita were found from dealer off E-Bay {I know}
can't always beleive what you read. I'm waiting till next month when
moneys a bit easier to come by,Think I've got wife talk into spending
alittle more cash {$350} been looken at Husq. 353 ? What do yuo think,
this seem to be a bit better and is listed a Pro saw by Husky site.

Mike

Mike, I'm in Houston, in a subdivision. One of my sisters lives in Cut-N-Shoot, but on a small lot. As you might guess, I don't get to do much cutting. It doesn't sound like your cutting is urgent, and you have some time on your hands (cut some wood for a while, fish for a while, not bad at all!). If you need some help, or get into some trees that call for a bigger saw, let me know because I have a few saws that could use a workout. In fact, I have a Husky 51 that's not even broken in.

The 353 would make a great saw. Definitely all pro construction.

If it's going to be a few weeks, maybe you could think about the new Dolmar coming out. It is should be strong competition for the 50cc class, and priced very competitively. I don't know for sure when it will be available, but it sounded like it will be very soon. Information is kind of hard to come by right now, with this change in distribution going on with Dolmar. Hopefully the new distributors will be up to speed soon and we will have a better idea of dates on the new saws.

Ha! Guys thanks for all the good info and Tony I will wait. I'm Really intrested
in the PS-5100s so when you get one in let me know if we can deal for
around $350.00 Thank You.
Knott Whole hope to get a saw around 1st Sept. and we can get together
and ware them out on some of these nasty pine round here. E-mail if you want! Talk to you soon.

I was told that the Husky 350 didn't have a plastic crankcase it was the first model that didn't........... AS i was told on here it was almost a prosaw.........

It has a plastic case. The 346XP and 353 have the magnesium cases, those would be the smallest pro saws, that do have the mag case. The 350 is a very good homeowner design, that is close to pro quality, but it doesn't have a magnesium case.

tenacrewoods said:
Think I've got wife talk into spending
alittle more cash {$350} been looken at Husq. 353 ? What do yuo think,
this seem to be a bit better and is listed a Pro saw by Husky site.
Mike
I think that is a very good idea!
The 353 is probaly the least costly pro quality saw on the market, and has some nice features.
But, if the Dolmar 5100 performs about the same as the 5000,
and doesn't cost a lot more, that is probably an even better idea.

:blob2: YEA DLOMARTECH [don't know real name] says on another theard here thatit actaully preforms alittle better then 5000 just wait for info from Tony M or DOLMARTECH I'm in no hurry ! :cry: :dizzy:

Mike E.

Latest posts

Back