• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Want To Buy Milling Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountaineerG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to start chainsaw milling. This will be a hobby, nothing serious. I am experienced with a chainsaw, but I have never used/needed anything big. Based on my research I’m looking for a Husqvarna 394/395xp, Stihl 660 Magnum, or any other 90+ CC saws. New is out of the budget so let me know what you’ve got, thank you!

I got a jonsereds 910 ita not pretty but it will get you going.

Attachments

• AD1EF5C4-ADC2-4239-88E7-4BF2930A573C.jpeg
    AD1EF5C4-ADC2-4239-88E7-4BF2930A573C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 3D3372AE-2829-4DF3-BF99-3E0518E5289C.jpeg
    3D3372AE-2829-4DF3-BF99-3E0518E5289C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
The jred 910e is 86 cc’s good saw the husky 2100 is 99 cc another great saw for milling gobs of power. Either one would serve you well. Some here had a 920 jred for sale.

Seems like people are pretty down on those 076’s

I think almost all the older saws have legitimate complaints. The main problem is parts availability. Most have an achilles heal part that is NLA

The 076 gets compared to the 066 a lot and certainly the latter is a better all around felling and bucking saw. But for milling torque is king. The handling of the saw matters a lot less. At 111cc, the 076 has a considerable long bar advantage. It’s a lot of snort on a budget.

The other saws mentioned are probably slightly more reliable, though parts hunting can be very difficult for Jreds and Dolmars. They’re also smaller displacement saws. There isn’t a perfect answer, but really cheap is good.

FWIW, when I started milling I had an older friend with a dual head 076 mill. I’ve now killed an 066 and an 880 milling and my buddy is still going strong with his dinosaurs.

I now run a 394 that I’m pretty happy with. I would recommend it as a relatively cheap, relatively modern saw that mills well. Just watch the clutch overheating.

As a parting shot, I dumped a lot of money into my 066 to keep it milling. After 15-20 logs I think I would have saved money buying a newer saw in better condition. Keep that in mind when shopping. Really cheap saws often need a lot of love. Get one you know will be reliable. The seller is almost as important as the saw.

I think almost all the older saws have legitimate complaints. The main problem is parts availability. Most have an achilles heal part that is NLA

The 076 gets compared to the 066 a lot and certainly the latter is a better all around felling and bucking saw. But for milling torque is king. The handling of the saw matters a lot less. At 111cc, the 076 has a considerable long bar advantage. It’s a lot of snort on a budget.

The other saws mentioned are probably slightly more reliable, though parts hunting can be very difficult for Jreds and Dolmars. They’re also smaller displacement saws. There isn’t a perfect answer, but really cheap is good.

FWIW, when I started milling I had an older friend with a dual head 076 mill. I’ve now killed an 066 and an 880 milling and my buddy is still going strong with his dinosaurs.

I now run a 394 that I’m pretty happy with. I would recommend it as a relatively cheap, relatively modern saw that mills well. Just watch the clutch overheating.

As a parting shot, I dumped a lot of money into my 066 to keep it milling. After 15-20 logs I think I would have saved money buying a newer saw in better condition. Keep that in mind when shopping. Really cheap saws often need a lot of love. Get one you know will be reliable. The seller is almost as important as the saw.
I really appreciate all of the advice! Thank you and I will be taking this into consideration.

I have 4 saws that I use in my milling projects. All older McCullochs. 2-- 7-10's, 1 --700 ProMac and 1-- Super Pro 81. Being older and slower than most(all) newer saws, they do a good job at a reasonable cost.
20200411_115654_HDR.jpg
I milled all the lumber for a 12 x 24 woodshed last year, several raised garden boxes for the Wife, garden boxes for my neighbor and some extra lumber for projects around the farm. By running the carbs a bit rich, I haven't seen any P&C damage yet.

I also want to say that I’m brand new to this forum, but I’m active on numerous others. Having said that, this has been the most helpful and friendly group that I have encountered. It makes a hobby that much more enjoyable when there are places to learn and communicate with like-minded folks. Thanks again!

A practical consideration is to choose a saw that has a side mount fuel refill cap. If you do enough milling, you will invariably run out of fuel mid cut some times. It is a major time saver to not have to pull the saw out of the cut, removing and replacing your wedges along the way, just to refill.

Latest posts

Back