Wanted Dolmar 421 Feedback.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed the epoxy from the carb on my PS-421, removed the cat and re tuned.

On my saw there is a square base aluminum housing the H needle resides in, It had epoxy over it. Mind you, it not like they pack the tube full, just a bit to cover the needle. I used pliers to gentle squeeze the outside of the tube and picked out the epoxy as it became brittle and broke up. Once the needle was exposed, I used a hack saw and notched a grove in the needles head for a slotted screwdriver. The needle has a D-shape head, so you will need the grove to adjust it. I then bottomed it out to see what the factory setting was just a reference. 3 1/2 turns out. Everything was removed and cleaned up. I retained the aluminum tube as there is a small o-ring underneath and a spring to tension the H needle to keep it put. I cut down the tube to retain this function. I didn't take pics of this in process, but here is the result. The saw runs cooler/better now.

Overall very happy with this saw, you wont get this level of quality for the money with other brands. View attachment 289394View attachment 289395View attachment 289396

Keep in mind that Makita owns Dolmar now and makes these in blue too. I just picked up a EA-4300F which is a 420/421. I believe it to be the 421 version since it has the cat in the muffler but it also didn't come with epoxy either. Haven't gotten around to putting a bar and chain on it yet, but I did swap the 5100/5105 rim drive clutch drum onto it. Got mine on ebay used for $150ish.

Also, a metal chain catcher can be integrated. You just need to fab one up and use the bottom bucking spike screw to install it. My initial thoughts were to make a hole in the bucking spike that would allow a tab/post to be inserted to keep the catcher strait. Possibly be able to use an aluminum catcher from an 026/260? I'll play with this more as I get it set up to cut this winter.

Only thing I'm actually a little disappointed that this great little saw doesn't come with a heated handles option. Makes me wonder if the 5100/5105 heated handles option can be integrated as easily as the clutch. Probably not, but a guy can only hope...

The muffler hole is without the cat already more than large enough, so in my eyes no need to do any muff mod except taking out the cat and retune.

420 (2.7 hp = old version) = Makita DCS4301

420sc (3hp = new version) = 421 = Makita EA4300

The muffler hole is without the cat already more than large enough, so in my eyes no need to do any muff mod except taking out the cat and retune.

420 (2.7 hp = old version) = Makita DCS4301

420sc (3hp = new version) = 421 = Makita EA4300

Might just be me but I like the blue better than orange/red...

I have the dcs 4301 and like it a lot! Although for me the color is not so important. I got mine on sale out for -25%. That was a good price for me!

Latest posts

Back