Wanted nice wood burner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing about used stoves is they are likely near the end of their life. Sure you find the odd duck once in awhille.

If cost is a factor, home depot and Menards sell very affordable, very functional wood stoves. Englander, drolet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The thing about used stoves is they are likely near the end of their life. Sure you find the odd duck once in awhille.

If cost is a factor, home depot and Menards sell very affordable, very functional wood stoves. Englander, drolet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Cost not the issue im looking for the old school craftsmanship more then anything dont get me wrong im not rich but i dont mind spending a little money on quality and craftsmanship.

@661Joe, not many stoves come up for sale on this site. You will have better luck surfing your local craigslist. Without knowing what you are heating and what features you want it's hard to make a reasonable recommendation. Without knowing you'll just get people throwing options at you based on what they have that works for them, which may not work well for you.
Do you want new tech or old school? Is heat control and long burn times important? How many square feet are you heating? Want or need an Ash pan? Visual appeal or just a hot steel box ok? What chimney are you going to use and what size? New stoves need a higher quality of seasoned wood, <20%. So seasoning it for minimum 12 months is critical.... there's probably more I missed.

@661Joe, not many stoves come up for sale on this site. You will have better luck surfing your local craigslist. Without knowing what you are heating and what features you want it's hard to make a reasonable recommendation. Without knowing you'll just get people throwing options at you based on what they have that works for them, which may not work well for you.
Do you want new tech or old school? Is heat control and long burn times important? How many square feet are you heating? Want or need an Ash pan? Visual appeal or just a hot steel box ok? What chimney are you going to use and what size? New stoves need a higher quality of seasoned wood, <20%. So seasoning it for minimum 12 months is critical.... there's probably more I missed.
Will be heating about 1800 square feet. Ash pan is nice dont need to have it. Visually appealing would be nice. 8 inch chimney i believe its a new house.. Built in fan would be nice for heat control. Would love to button it up over night and re stock in the morning. I like old school ask the wife she likes new. So either one will work..

Will be heating about 1800 square feet. Ash pan is nice dont need to have it. Visually appealing would be nice. 8 inch chimney i believe its a new house.. Built in fan would be nice for heat control. Would love to button it up over night and re stock in the morning. I like old school ask the wife she likes new. So either one will work..
The newer stoves are higher efficiency and there for have a cooler flue gas temperature. Creosoot can be an issue if the chimney is masonry.
I had a Blaze King stove, King model heating my house from an unfinished basement. I coukdnt quite heat the main living space to the level i wanted so i got rid of it. It was a great stove but my masonry chimney (~25' tall) was making some creosote in the upper few feet of the chimney. I couldn't install an insulated liner in the chimney because the existing clay liner was 7"x7" and the stove requires 8" round. An insulated liner needs about 10x10. On a full load running it on high it would last 8 hours of active heat and several more hours of active coals. Easy to operate and heated my 1850 sqft basement to 80F and upstairs to 68-73F. Loved the stove but wasn't getting the overwhelming heat I needed to passively heat the main floor. If installed in the living space or finished basement it probably would have worked great except some minor creosote building. They are not cheap though, compared to the other new tech stoves on the market but you are getting extent control of heat, extremely long burn times in the shoulder season and great construction.

Don't know i they market them in the US but if you're looking for old school workmanship but modern operation "Godin" have a good # of models

Thanks all for the info i just want to spend the money once also wouldent mind being able to throw a skillet on top ;) its not the main source of heat but i want to treat it as it is. I have enough wood to burn so why not use it up. Im profiting off the wood several times... seems wise to me.

Ended up with a new in box us stove company model 2000 for about 45 minutes of me running a 661 to buck up a 4ft silver maple. Shall see how good it works and report back.

I only ever sold one stove. It was a small lopi and it was in the house when I moved in I sold it for 200 and sold it right away. It was in good condition so it can happen. I just didn't want it. I fired it a few times it got the basement warm but that was it so I got a wood furnace.

Back