Warm weather spell on the way, what are you doin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There's some unseasonably warm weather coming soon, I'll be running the saws/splitter somewhere, maybe with some friends too.:cheers:

Good time to run up on the roof and sweep the chimney midseason here too.

So what are you woodburners going to do with the opportunity?

My wife and I spent new years day splitting and stacking 2 cords of firewood. I've been cutting it and dumping it behind our house and we got it in just in time. It's supposed to snow this weekend. I'm going to get another pickup load Sat morning before the storm hits.

I like the whole firewood process, but it really feels good when you talk to your neighbors like I did a few days ago. He just got a $500 propane bill and $120 electricity bill this month. Our propane guy skipped us, didn't use enough to bother topping off and lectricity was $50. Can't beat that!

Dok

From the NWS this morning:
"...MAJOR RAIN/SNOW EVENT FORECAST FOR FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY. BASED ON LATEST MODEL TIMING HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION FALLS BETWEEN FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND SATURDAY MORNING. STRONG OROGRAPHIC LIFTING TAKING PACE AT THE SAME TIME. CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATES OF STORM TOTAL PRECIPITATION ARE...5-10 INCHES RAIN AND +72 INCHES SNOW ABOVE 8000 FT. ..."

We are at just under the 7,000 ft. level so that's more or less what we are in for. I'll just hang out next to the stove!

The last I heard the warm weather is also going to bring rain. That sucks.
My culvert filled with last weeks rain and thaw which froze with this cold snap. I hope the culvert clears before the next big runoff or I'm going to have a pond in my yard.

it is 6 degrees outside right now and 83 in my living room. loaded up the wood racks in my garage yesterday so I'm not leaving till it warms up....nice

It was -1 when I got up at 4am, it's just after 6am and the temp is down to -5. The warm-up will be nice, clear the roof, remove a snowbank and maybe help a friend move his skidder to where his property meets mine.
Then I'll put another half cord in the shed from the wood pile outside.

I cleaned the chimney already last week.
Not sure what else but you can bet I'll be outside!

It's 9 am here right now, and still only zero. I'm waiting for manbearpig, I mean Algore, or ..global warming to kick in. It might reach the high 30's here on sunday the weather guessers say. I hope so. It's cold out.

If enough of the snow ever melts, I've got some tree tops I want to cut up, and an oak and a yellow birch to mill. Come to upstate NY manbearpig/Algore/ .............global warming my :censored:

I've been cutting the last two weekends, going to get it all split this weekend.

Kirk

I hate this warm waether. I'm trying to skid logs out of my neighbors woods. I need COLD weather so the ground will finally freeze, and snow not this stupid rain. I pulled like 8 cords of Hardwood out in the last few afternoons, but I'm turning up dirt now!
I had my dad drooling, because I found a 18 inch IRONWOOD tree to pull out. It was huge, and must have weighed 4 tons! My little John Deere Pulled it right out! I think the JD is way more fun than the chainsaws! :)

I got out to cut today for a couple of hours. Couldn't get the truck in the field. Took the 4-wheeler and strapped the equipment to that. Didn't haul out a single piece of wood. When the ground freezes or atleast firms up I'll get it out. Just walking on the field I was sinking in 2-3 inches.

Matt

Looks like I'm the only person on here actually hoping for some colder weather!! Its been way above average here for the last couple of weeks, over 60 earlier this week! We have been getting nothing but rain too, just got another inch and a half last night and this morning. I've got 5 or 6 nice dead trees with my name on them for firewood but until we get some cold enough weather to freeze the ground theres no way I'm getting to them. Hope it gets cold soon, I'm going through major withdraw here.:cry:

After posting this I read deadman and book's posts so I guess I am not alone.

Last edited:
I could use the warm weather to get some more saws put back together. My garage is uninsulated and no heat.....

I actually like to cut and split when it is cold vs 90 degrees......

I'm getting ready for the foot of snow coming on sunday/monday. Took the week to actually sleep a full night every night after a month of not. I plow by the way.;)

It's been pouring rain for the last 3 days here, it finally stopped yesterday afternoon and got down to 20 last night. I got the Dozer warmin up right now, Gonna try to skid some trees out before it gets warmer this afternoon and turns ****.

We're getting some frustrated Downeast: first, too much snow on wet insulated ground to work the woods. Now we got mud season. Why oh why ? We too need hard ground, some snow , but not 3+ feet, to work. I agree with some that we need a good hard freeze, with some snow would be nice. Pray for us now in the hour....................:censored: Hey, it's winter, it should be cold down here. No, I am not going up on the roof to do the chimneys. :dizzy:

I plow too, but for my own needs, here in Ontario it was a wild year for snow till it all got washed away, nice break though.

Well, the warm spell melted most of the snow that was on the ground, and I didn't burn much wood the past week.

Took advantage of the temporary break in snow cover to do some cutting today. Took down and cut up a standing dead red oak. Jonsered 49SP, Solo 651Pro, and Stihl 045. Nice little pile of wood, ran 3 of my toys, and got a little workout.

Another storm is forecast for tonight, so it will likely be a while til I do some more cutting.

Back