Warning about possible scam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrem20

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a saw for sale on the site and received an email from someone who wanted to buy it. I have added the two emails below so you can see their writing style and what they want. They want way too much information obably just enough to open several lines of credit.

prFrom: [email protected] <[email protected]>
> Subject: A message about your ad on ArboristSite.com
> To:
> Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 3:12 AM
> stihl 066
>
> Hi
>
> How are doing? i am very much interested in this item and will like to
> know your final asking price as i need it very urgently for my
> cousin's birthday as a surprise package for him so i will like to get
> a response from stating if you will accept Cashiers cheque as you
> mode of payment.
>
> if yes do send to me your full contact information such as
> Name,Address,City,Zip-code, State as well as your phone number in case
> i want to reach you there and please note if you send me your phone
> number to call without the informations i wont due to wasting of time.
>
> Awaiting your response asap
>
> Regards
.Subject: Re: A message about your ad on ArboristSite.com
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Friday, March 13, 2009, 3:37 AM
> Hello Mary
> #
> I Really Appreciate your response to this inquiry i am ok with the
> price it dosent matter what condition it's in as far as when i send
> someone over to pick it up there wont be much problem and i will like
> you to know that the payment is been processed and will be sent to as
> soon as i get the information (Name,Address,city, zip-code) as well as
> your phone number from you and i want you to know that
> transportation of this item will be done by me (picked-up).
> so what i will like to do and know is that the payment to be
> sent to you will include my transporters Fee so when you get
> the payment please take it straight it to your bank and have
> it cashed without further delay so when it clears in your
> bank you will help me to send the remaining balance to
> him,when he gets the money he will come pickup the money
> from your location so all i need from you is trust and
> honesty and i wont mind buying from you if you have any more
> for sale will be waiting to hear from
> you asap
> #

ya i heard of that, it's a fake cashiers check. looks real enuff so the bank cashes them without checking for the full amount tthen after a couple days when they process it you are on the hook for whatever the amount is plus nsf charges. those douche bags that do that should be dragged behind a truck over a mile of broken glass and razor wire. cause ppl fall for it all the time.:angry:

Anytime you have something for sale on the internet you get a bunch of those scam letters. I can't believe people actually fall for that, but I guess they do, as the perps keep sending them out.
Excuse me, I need to get some bank info to a guy in Nigeria who is gonna send me $40 million for my time/trouble to get his heirs fortune out of the country. :laugh:

I had someone try and pull that on my last week with pair of skis I had for sale on CL. Told them to go pound sand and pull out the cash. They went away.

This kind of scam, send a cashier's check for more than the purchase amount and you gotta give the balance back or to someone has been successfully done thousands of times and people keep on falling for it. I guess that's why the crooks keep on trying it. I've heard that some banks are now holding the "funds" from cashiers checks for a month before releasing them to try to avoid these problems.

But, then, Ponzi schemes, too, have been run for over 90 years and people will still give every cent of their retirement into yet a new one.....

This kind of scam, send a cashier's check for more than the purchase amount and you gotta give the balance back or to someone has been successfully done thousands of times and people keep on falling for it. I guess that's why the crooks keep on trying it. I've heard that some banks are now holding the "funds" from cashiers checks for a month before releasing them to try to avoid these problems.

At least in this case the OP smelled it out...good going.

I got a similar one the other day on some ammo I have listed.

I gave 'em my Cell number to call.
I really hope they do call back.

I doubt they will though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah, you can always count on those when you list something on craigslist. Gotta watch yourself. Really makes you feel bad about the elderly who are an easy target for this stuff. I'm always worried when my grandma answers the phone and its some BS on the other end.

This is just a variation on the Nigerian 419 scam. If they have your name, address, phone number etc. you're also putting yourself at risk for identity theft. If you ask them to meet you at your local police station to make the transaction, they will definitely go away.

Is your email listed in your ad? If not they have to be registered to see it. If you have their handle please post it or pm me with it.

scam

Trimmed
Yes my email was listed. The saw is posted on arbosite so it came through as you have a message from arborsite on my personal email account. The message did not show when I logged into arborsite though. I only have their email mailto:[email protected] not a handle.

OK, I have to send that up the ladder as I can't search out just the email.
Thanks for posting the warning, btw.

Trimmed,

Here's the E-mail I got. Same scam.

You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Thu 3/12/09 6:27 AM
To:

1 Case Portugese 7.62X51. Hi How are doing? i am very much interested in this item and will like to know your final asking price as i need it very urgently for my cousin's birthday as a surprise package for him so i will like to get a response from stating if you will accept Cashiers cheque as you mode of payment. if yes do send to me your full contact information such as Name,Address,City,Zip-code, State as well as your phone number in case i want to reach you there and please note if you send me your phone number to call without the informations i wont due to wasting of time. Awaiting your response asap Regards http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2611

Thanks for the follow up!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back