Was the 009 ever a good saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You sure had a bad unit. Mine will outcut the XL2. What is so tough to work on? I can have one apart in 10 minutes. Remember, I have used one since 1981. The SAME one. Biggest expense, addition of chainbrake.

just my .02

my uncle used to co-own a chainsaw shop with his brother in mississippi (which doesn't say much) but after all the saws that he repairs and what he does now..he still has an 009 and rebuilt the carb 3 years ago..can't keep up with my fancy dancy 200 but that is just technology oh yeah..and displacement..but that is what he kept...and I can tell you now..old saws are great. no epa..no limiter caps to have to pull off to tune it right. easy to work on.. stihl..can always find parts..I rebuilt a 015 av and sold it for 2 times the parts...I guess free labor..but it was fun..stihl no matter what..good money spent if you keep in mind you buy it for what it is intended for. best of luck. look where I am now. I started with a mac 110.

Wow what an interesting post. I just googled that latin phrase in sedanmans signature and learned how to say how much wood could a woodchuck chuck. Cool. I also googled necrophobic and its a Heavy Metal band. Very informative tonight:clap:

Don't you mean the 090? The 009 is a little tree trimer saw. It isn't heavy at all. The 090 is big and heavy. When the 090 is properly built, and the air vane governor is bypassed, it is an awesome saw for power. It can hold its own against modern saws. Mike
I'd be interested in knowing more about what you mean by properly built. From what little information I have seen on that saw if the air vane is by passed that saw will run 3000 rpm beyond where it is spec out . Seems it would blow up in a short time.

Actually I think necrophobic refers to someone that is (sexually aroused) by the dead...

Probably not a bad name for one of those bands...

Mark

wouldent it mean fear of the dead, such as a phobia is a fear. sexual arousal is a necrophiliac.

in any case lets let this thread go in peace now.

chevette_bigfoot.jpg

chevette lol

Last edited:
i used the 009L when i worked as a groundskeeper for about 3 years. it was the first saw i learned all my saw handling basics and saw maintenance on. a tough little saw. sure it vibrated the hell out of your hands, but it worked hard and it was LOUD!

I got an 009 for repair about a week ago. Didn't look too bad; but, wouldn't start, run or idle. To make a long story short, took the cover off the air filter and it looked great. Dug it out to clean it with kerosene and was blown away by almost a half inch of oily messy crud on the bottom side of the air filter. Once I chisled that crap off, cleaned the filter, put new fuel and oil in it; it cranked right up. Adjusted the carb a little bit and it ran like a jewel. I can see how the owner was fooled by looking at the top of the air filter and thinking all was well. I showed him what came off the bottom side of the filter; and gave him some instruction on care and maintenance. That's the story with a lot of saws; its the owner, not the saw. :buttkick:

I had a 009 and it was a fine little saw for what it was!!!!!

I would not want to try to make a living as an arborist with it, but it wasn't meant to fill that niche.
I asked that little saw to do more than it was ever designed to, on several occasions, and it never let me down.

I think we as consumers often do a great dis-service to many products by expecting too much. We don't want to spend the extra money to buy an
ms200T, so we buy a 009 and then complain when it doesn't meet our needs.

I see so many posts maligning the "wild thing" but I know a guy that has been cutting his "fireplace wood" for years with one. He takes good care of it and it serves his needs well.

The 009 isn't a bad saw but it's a Ford Ranger not an F-350.

Mike

009 I had was worthless. It basically ran out of power on anything that was more than 2-3". And dont bother trying to work on one because you are wasting your time. My Homelite XL2's will run circles all over them. Its lighter, more powerful, starts easier, and can be fixed if something breaks.
The 009 is way overpriced at $239 just because it has Stihl on the side. It should be $139 at the most. :angry:

Whatever. The mighty 009 is a living legend.

I had a 009 and it was a fine little saw for what it was!!!!!

I would not want to try to make a living as an arborist with it, but it wasn't meant to fill that niche.
I asked that little saw to do more than it was ever designed to, on several occasions, and it never let me down.

I think we as consumers often do a great dis-service to many products by expecting too much. We don't want to spend the extra money to buy an
ms200T, so we buy a 009 and then complain when it doesn't meet our needs.

I see so many posts maligning the "wild thing" but I know a guy that has been cutting his "fireplace wood" for years with one. He takes good care of it and it serves his needs well.

The 009 isn't a bad saw but it's a Ford Ranger not an F-350.

Mike
MIne has been beat to poop, and it stihl runs great! Semi-retired, it wears a 12" bar and with the compression stihl high, it cuts with authority and loud report.

Also, don't forget it is AOD's saw of choice!!!!:greenchainsaw:

009 = 012

I know my 012 has more displacement, but that little saw cuts very well with a sharp chain... I just picked up a 009 and it looks nearly identical to my 012 except for the handle design...

Last spring I took down a huge ash with mine... never seemed to lack power. The only time I reached for a bigger saw (031AV at the time with a 20" bar) is when the bar wasn't long enough to drop a branch safely from one side of the tree (I was in a lift). I've used that saw for just about everything over the last few years and it never balks, it just keeps on cutting! Of course, a sharp chain helps.

The 009 is the worst saw ever designed by humans. It may possibly be the worst saw in the universe. This saw is an absolute abomination of everything you don't want in a chainsaw. I used one once for half a day and was amazed at what a pi$$ poor and horribly designed and poor performing saw it was.

The 009 is the worst saw ever designed by humans. It may possibly be the worst saw in the universe. This saw is an absolute abomination of everything you don't want in a chainsaw. I used one once for half a day and was amazed at what a pi$$ poor and horribly designed and poor performing saw it was.

Don't hold back Angel,.....Tell us how you REALLY feel!!

Back